Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@the.Mtn.Man / @Ripplinger and others:

Patience, young padawan.

PS: It's nothing new, patches have often/always been released in a staggered manner, depending on what's ready or not.
I'm perfectly happy waiting until all patches are ready, or as already said, if not ready, just skipping this patch. I never immediately install any of Kobo's updates until there's some feedback because of the likelihood of new bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I've noticed that the advanced font settings "hold" across patches even if you don't have advanced font controls enabled, so you still get the advantage of your customized settings even if you can't change them until the patch is updated.
That's good to know for the future if there's ever a patch I must have (although that's very unlikely to ever happen in my case... if it ain't broke and all that).
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I've noticed that the advanced font settings "hold" across patches even if you don't have advanced font controls enabled, so you still get the advantage of your customized settings even if you can't change them until the patch is updated.
I believe this happens because Kobo stores the settings in the configuration file, and independently from any patch retrieves these values. This should actually imply that one could manually edit the configuration file to add the required settings
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe this happens because Kobo stores the settings in the configuration file, and independently from any patch retrieves these values. This should actually imply that one could manually edit the configuration file to add the required settings
Which is something I have done in the past and does work. Of course, it's hard to get it right.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't know if this will work, and even if it does then there might be side-effects for Japanese or Chinese language books, but if someone wants to try it and find out ...

Freedom to advanced fonts control, paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Spoiler:
Code:
Freedom to advanced fonts control:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      This patch allows the advanced font options (weight/sharpness adjustments)
      to work with sideloaded fonts too. (KEPUB: OTF and TTF. EPUB: TTF only.)
      Beware unknown side-effects for Japanese or Chinese language books.
    #
    # The following passes a junk pointer to N3FontTypeUtil::setupDropdown, but it
    # seems the pointer is only passed on to ReadingSettings::getDefaultFontFamily
    # where the code is patched to avoid dereferencing it, so it should be safe.
    # BEWARE: What are the side-effects for Japanese / Chinese language books?
    #
    # N3FontTypeUtil.setupMonotypeDropdown(b,c)
    # --> N3FontTypeUtil.setupDropdown(UNDEFINED,b,c)
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x8432E4, FindH: 59 46 50 46, ReplaceH: 5A 46 51 46}
  - ReplaceBLX: {Offset: 0x8432E8, Find: 0x4073B8, Replace: 0x41F440}
    # N3FontTypeController.setupAdvancedOption(...) --> NOP
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x9FB23A, FindBLX: 0x422810}
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x9FC1D0, FindBLX: 0x422810}
    # Ignore volume language (affects language number 25; ja? zh?)
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x65F7EA, FindBLX: 0x415B74}
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x65F7F0, FindBLX: 0x41D354}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65F7F4, FindH: 06 46, ReplaceH: 00 26}
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x65F7F8, FindBLX: 0x40E5B4}

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-05-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: edited patch comments
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #20
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I don't know if this will work, and even if it does then there might be side-effects for Japanese or Chinese language books, but if someone wants to try it and find out ...
Yep, that works well. I was thinking it was something along those lines. Thanks!

If you want, you can add it to the repo, and I'll do a release.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2019, 12:17 AM   #21
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
v44 is out with the 4 missing patches updated (GeoffR), 2 new patches added (geek1011), and the conflicts with the home screen patches fixed (geek1011).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #22
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Freedom to advanced fonts control, paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Spoiler:
Code:
Freedom to advanced fonts control:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      This patch allows the advanced font options (weight/sharpness adjustments)
      to work with sideloaded fonts too. (KEPUB: OTF and TTF. EPUB: TTF only.)
      Beware unknown side-effects for Japanese or Chinese language books.
    #
    # The following passes a junk pointer to N3FontTypeUtil::setupDropdown, but it
    # seems the pointer is only passed on to ReadingSettings::getDefaultFontFamily
    # where the code is patched to avoid dereferencing it, so it should be safe.
    # BEWARE: What are the side-effects for Japanese / Chinese language books?
    #
    # N3FontTypeUtil.setupMonotypeDropdown(b,c)
    # --> N3FontTypeUtil.setupDropdown(UNDEFINED,b,c)
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x8432E4, FindH: 59 46 50 46, ReplaceH: 5A 46 51 46}
  - ReplaceBLX: {Offset: 0x8432E8, Find: 0x4073B8, Replace: 0x41F440}
    # N3FontTypeController.setupAdvancedOption(...) --> NOP
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x9FB23A, FindBLX: 0x422810}
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x9FC1D0, FindBLX: 0x422810}
    # Ignore volume language (affects language number 25; ja? zh?)
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x65F7EA, FindBLX: 0x415B74}
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x65F7F0, FindBLX: 0x41D354}
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x65F7F4, FindH: 06 46, ReplaceH: 00 26}
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x65F7F8, FindBLX: 0x40E5B4}
Installed v44 patches, and tried "Freedom to advanced fonts control" for a few Chinese books, so far so good.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
Installed v44 patches, and tried "Freedom to advanced fonts control" for a few Chinese books, so far so good.
That's good. My guess is that the firmware is trying to set the defaut font for Chinese books to the new Chinese font, and the side-effect of the patch is that it gets set to Georgia instead. You might only see a difference if you select the "Pubisher Default" font and the publisher hasn't set their own font from the book's stylesheet.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 AM   #24
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
That's good. My guess is that the firmware is trying to set the defaut font for Chinese books to the new Chinese font, and the side-effect of the patch is that it gets set to Georgia instead. You might only see a difference if you select the "Pubisher Default" font and the publisher hasn't set their own font from the book's stylesheet.
Oh, I'm reading Simplified Chinese books instead of Traditional Chinese books which the new firmware supports.

And since I got solution to work around the problem of reading Simplified Chinese books a long time ago, this new feature that kobo supports Traditional Chinese language doesn't help at all. The Simplified Chinese characters in the library list are still not rendered correctly after power-on, which is a sad thing, I guessed it should fix it before installing the new firmware.

But if I set the font to "Pubisher Default", it does use the new Chinese font and it works fine like the old firmware since I used a work-around.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:21 AM   #25
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
New patches in this version:
- Remove extra space on selection menu (geek1011)
Thanks for updating the patches so quickly!
This new one is really useful.

Could some post a screenshot of before and after applying this patch? I'm not sure whether it really worked on my Kobo Clara. The selection menu still looks quite big.

Last edited by LucyOne; 04-06-2019 at 04:23 AM.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #26
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
geek1011,
everything works fine, as always.

You wrote that you are ready to make a patch for replacing the Kobo store with a browser or beta functions.

Just remind, suddenly you forgot
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #27
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks for getting the fixes out so fast!

However, I'm having trouble with "Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height - beta". I follow the directions and uncomment the appropriate lines, but I keep encountering the following error:

Code:
Patching ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
Error: could not apply patches: could not load patch file 'src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml': could not parse patch file: error parsing patch file: yaml: line 1587: did not find expected key
The line number changes depending on which option I uncomment, but the error is otherwise the same. Here's the line that caused the compiler to spit out the last error:

Code:
- ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x36, Find: "Georgia ", Replace: "Bookerly", MustMatchLength: yes}
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
the.Mtn.Man,
front should be 2 spaces
Code:
  - ReplaceString:
maybe you didn't put them in.

I have no mistakes.

Last edited by Semwize; 04-07-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #29
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
First of all i want to thank everyone who puts in their time to make this like this available for everyone and you guys are the best!

Now, with the new patch i still have the problem where the CMD windows closes when to apply the New home screen increasing cover size:" patch
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #30
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
the.Mtn.Man,
front should be 2 spaces
Code:
  - ReplaceString:
maybe you didn't put them in.

I have no mistakes.
OK, that was it. I didn't realize that spacing mattered, so I just deleted the # character instead of replacing it with a space.

Thanks for the help!
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching