Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
la3541
la3541 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
margins and line spacing

Why does the kindle app have such large margins and line spacing? Its not a big screen to begin with and to add all that blank space is ridiculous.
la3541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by la3541 View Post
Why does the kindle app have such large margins and line spacing? Its not a big screen to begin with and to add all that blank space is ridiculous.
I guess it's a matter of taste. I don't find the margins to be too large. They feel comfortable to me. At what size font are you reading?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I can't wait until that tech evolves.. It'll be something else.

Maybe by the time 4G is here we'll have a competitive market for that sort of product.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
akira28
Nameless Being

Reading faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
Some folks use finger following to read, where they move their finger under each line. I don't, but can appreciate how it makes the Kindle app less than stellar for them.
On there own the eyes are very inefficient and slow following text, frequently backtracking on text already seen. I use a guide (usually my finger) to lead my eyes during reading. This is one of the key techniques to reading faster. And I usually do not follow under each line but use different methods such as diagonals or paragraphing.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:38 AM   #20
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I've always admired speed readers. But unless it is a book for work, I prefer to savor the words of a good book. Let them rattle around a little bit.

Takes me longer to read a book, but I enjoy the journey.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #21
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I am guessing that this app is only available in the US? I haven't been able to find it in the UK app store
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #22
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I've always admired speed readers. But unless it is a book for work, I prefer to savor the words of a good book. Let them rattle around a little bit.

I also noticed that people that tend to read fast, are also the ones who usually re-read more... Maybe there's a correlation?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #23
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I am guessing that this app is only available in the US?
It is only for Kindle ebooks, which you buy from the US Amazon store and Amazon nominally restricts purchases to US-only for licensing reasons. On the other hand, Amazon is the best single source for ebooks and has low prices. So for how to buy from outside the US, see Buying Kindle books for the iPhone in Australia - a success story and Amazon Kindle outside of the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #24
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Can you run the kindle on the iPhone emulator from the SDK?
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #25
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I also noticed that people that tend to read fast, are also the ones who usually re-read more... Maybe there's a correlation?
Perhaps the reason is because since they they have more time afterwards they have the luxury to savor a book twice? But generally if a guide is not used your eyes will re-read much more.

P.S. Psssst. I think you need a can of Raid. Your signature is crawling!

Last edited by akira28; 05-21-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #26
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

Using a guide to lead your eyes is an efficient way to read that increases speed naturally. It also has the effect of increasing focus (no wondering eyes) and retention. One does not have to sacrifice "speed" to enjoy a book. You may also use the analogy of looking at a picture. You don't have to go over each pixel slowly to enjoy it, do you?

Last edited by akira28; 05-21-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #27
benzion72
benzion72 began at the beginning.

Device: mobile phone
Can i get any software to read book on my sony ericsson P990i phone?
benzion72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #28
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
True, but you still need wifi to get books and it's not nearly as available as EDGE/3G, at least where I live.
A $50.00 router got me wifi at home.

I was alerted by the update icon sometime in the middle of the night when I logged onto the app store. The improvements are simple but very nice. Tap to turn (fast), sepia background, and landscape mode are all very cool. In landscape mode, the width of the screen is almost exactly the same as my 5 inch jetBook in portrait mode.

Last edited by galavanter; 05-21-2009 at 04:07 PM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #29
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

I was just using it again now. I'm really impressed by how wonderful and easy it works, and looks.

The first version didn't do a lot for me, but these little changes really went a long way.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #30
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

It'd be signifigantly better, of course, if I could load other stuff on it, too.

Calibre and Stanza and I are not getting along currently (as much as I love calibre).