Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #16
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I'm sure others have touched on these points already, I guess I'm just throwing in my two cents. If I had my choice I would preferably only use one application to manage my reading device and ebook library, but unfortunately I do have several texts that require authorization which does mandate the use of Sony's library application.

I have found that extremely large texts, e.g. the NIV Holy Bible, which if it has not been paginated using Sony's library software will cause my Sony PRS-505 device to crash. I have also found that by not using the Sony library software for transfer, even the smallest files have caused reduced battery life because the device itself is then forced to paginate the LRF files after they are transferred. This may seem trivial, but the more often you are required to charge up your battery, the shorter the life expectancy of your device's internal non-replaceable battery.

As for Calibre, well, it is a wonderful application. I use it to manage all the tags and metadata of my ebooks after I transfer them to my device, as well as the general organization of my digitized texts on my personal computer. Secondly I love Calibre for the wonderful ability to import news feeds. If you havn't already done so, perhaps you might try giving the "bookit" Firefox extension a try. It is the perfect compliment to Calibre by allowing you to save web pages and articles directly to your Calibre library from a single click.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have never used the Sony software to be honest... then again, since I use a Mac, I cant use it lol. Calibre has served me well so far
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
JenPen1
Connoisseur
JenPen1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS505 (given away), Sony 650 Touch, LG Nexus 4, Kobo Arc
Hi BOb . . .Off Topic - Just wanted to let you know that I bought 2 books today and everything worked out great right into Calibre and the 505! Thanks
~Jen
JenPen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenPen1 View Post
Hi BOb . . .Off Topic - Just wanted to let you know that I bought 2 books today and everything worked out great right into Calibre and the 505! Thanks
~Jen
Glad to hear it. Now that you know how to do it, it just is so easy isn't it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote