Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I think that people would be more confused by the flatly wrong statement that you can only buy Kindle books at Amazon than by the perfectly correct statement that you can buy books for Kindle lots of places other than at Amazon. The fact that you can buy books many places doesn't mean that you can buy books *everywhere.*
Would you be happier with the statement that Amazon is the only MAJOR bookstore where you can buy books for Kindle?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Other than library books, I don't feel constrained in getting the books I want for my Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 AM   #18
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Excellent discussion of DRM and how it works but I need to go to a lower level then that discussion. I need to understand the schemes that they use to restrict the electronic book. To say that B&N bought fictionwise to get control of the ereader format is at too general a level I need to understand how DRM technology acomplishes what it does.

For example what I think I know about DRM, and this illustrates the level of of knowledge that I am attempting to obtain, is DRM makes use of an older technology more frequently called PKI or Public Key Encrpyion where the whole file is encrypted and a password is applied to the file. In order to read a PKI file one will need a key, called the private key, to know how to decrypt the file. Sometimes the key is in the form of a password that will unlock the content in the file. DRM removal works by recovering the password from the file via means that I do not understand as yet and using that to decrypt the file.
Your best bet is to either talk to the people who write the tools to strip DRM, or have a look at the code of those tools.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
This discussion reminds me of the line from "The Blind Men and the Elephant",
Though each was partly in the right,
And all were in the wrong!

except I would change it to:
Though each was partly in the wrong,
And all were in the right!

...and it demonstrates the absurd, confusing and quasi-legality question of the current DRM eBook situation.

I suppose if I published books I would think DRM wonderful.
I suppose if I wrote books I would think DRM questionable.
As I buy and read books I think DRM punitive. But, hey, what do I know and why care what I think? I'm only a customer.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Would you be happier with the statement that Amazon is the only MAJOR bookstore where you can buy books for Kindle?
You really hate Amazon, don't you?

I'm perfectly happy with my accurate statement posted above.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert