Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Ah, forgive me if I'm missing something important, but unencrypted mobi files convert fine using Calibre. I've done a fair number of these with no problems and no formatting issues. Or was the question more about coding or having a standalone program to do this?
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
readman
Banned
readman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy

Hello, I bought a kindle book from amazon and downloaded it on my Mac Kindle reader, now I want to convert it to PDF. I read that Calibre can do it but first the DRM needs to be removed. I used a Calibre plugin to do that but it failed saying it couldn't find the PID. I read elsewhere that Mobipocker Reader could give the PID, I installed the Windows version in Wine but it didn't recognize the .azw or .mobi

Any solution ?
readman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We can't give you any help with DRM removal here, I'm afraid, but Google for "Apprentice Alf".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's actually really easy to convert azw3 to ePub. All you. Do is tweak ePub it and pull out the files. Then you can build an ePub from the files. You will need to add in a cover XML and a few minor tweaks to make it valid. Then you may have some fairly clean code. Cleaner then you get from Mobi > ePub.

In the azw3 you are extracting the code for the KF8.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's actually really easy to convert azw3 to ePub. All you. Do is tweak ePub it and pull out the files. Then you can build an ePub from the files. You will need to add in a cover XML and a few minor tweaks to make it valid. Then you may have some fairly clean code. Cleaner then you get from Mobi > ePub.

In the azw3 you are extracting the code for the KF8.
Actually, all you have to do is use the MobiUnpack plugin to extract (no mobi->epub conversion) the epub from an azw3 file (if it's drm-free, of course).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, all you have to do is use the MobiUnpack plugin to extract (no mobi->epub conversion) the epub from an azw3 file (if it's drm-free, of course).
That does work well. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #22
DeniseHat
DeniseHat began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 4 10.1
how do you change file extension from azw to mobi

so I know this is an old thread -
but I am considering buying a samsung tablet and want to use as an ereader -
When you put your kindle book on the sd card - kindle will not find it since it in on the maid storage - so as an alternative am considering Moon reader - which reads only mobi and not azw -
so this means the need to convert -

the solution above - simply change the file extension sounds easy -
but I can't figure out how! -
when I click on 'rename' I don't have access to the file type.

Help!
DeniseHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseHat View Post
so I know this is an old thread -
but I am considering buying a samsung tablet and want to use as an ereader -
When you put your kindle book on the sd card - kindle will not find it since it in on the maid storage - so as an alternative am considering Moon reader - which reads only mobi and not azw -
so this means the need to convert -

the solution above - simply change the file extension sounds easy -
but I can't figure out how! -
when I click on 'rename' I don't have access to the file type.

Help!
Control Panel -> Folder Options. "View" tab. Uncheck the "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" check box.

First thing I do on any Windows computer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #24
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amen to that.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Control Panel -> Folder Options. "View" tab. Uncheck the "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" check box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Amen to that.
I solve the problem by not using Windows.

(Course, I do have to manually setup a lot of xdg-open file associations. Archlinux, you see. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I solve the problem by not using Windows.

(Course, I do have to manually setup a lot of xdg-open file associations. Archlinux, you see. )

You have my condolences. Sorry you use some version linux.

But for all it's faults, Windows 7 is very good and works very well. Windows 8 is quite good too if you use Classic Shell.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have my condolences. Sorry you use some version linux.

But for all it's faults, Windows 7 is very good and works very well. Windows 8 is quite good too if you use Classic Shell.
So far, the only thing I am missing from Windows is ADE, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to use it much on Windows either.

To each his own... but my system is now working far better for me than WinXP-8 ever did. Faster, too.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just FYI, a handy trick I use is to create my own ~/bin/xdg-open much nicer than having to configure file associations, for the crazy xdg-utils. This allows me to do fun things like change the virtual desktop to the desktop I use for my web-browser when opening http links and to create associations for every file type I use in just a few lines of code.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python2
# vim:fileencoding=utf-8
from __future__ import (unicode_literals, division, absolute_import,
                        print_function)

__license__ = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2013, Kovid Goyal <kovid at kovidgoyal.net>'

BROWSER = 'firefox'
PDF = 'okular'
EBOOK = 'ebook-viewer'
EDITOR = ('gvim', '-f')
IMAGE = 'gwenview'
OFFICE = ('libreoffice', '--nologo')
DIRECTORY = 'dolphin'
COMIC = 'okular'
ARCHIVE = 'ark'

import os
import sys
import mimetypes
import urlparse
import subprocess
import urllib

arg = sys.argv[-1]
base = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(os.path.realpath(__file__)))
custom_mimetypes = os.path.join(base, 'conf/mime.types')
url = urlparse.urlparse(arg)

def call(args, path):
    if isinstance(args, basestring):
        args = [args]
    raise SystemExit(subprocess.Popen(list(args) + [path]).wait())

if url.scheme in {'http', 'https', 'ftp'}:
    from libqtile.command import Client
    c = Client()
    if c.group.info()['name'] != '2':
        c.screen.togglegroup('2')
    call(BROWSER, arg)

if url.scheme in {'file', ''}:
    path = url.path
    if path and not os.path.exists(path):
        path = urllib.unquote(path)

ext = path.rpartition('.')[-1] if path else ''

if not path or not os.path.exists(path):
        print (path, 'does not exist')
        raise SystemExit(1)

if os.path.isdir(path):
        call(DIRECTORY, path)

if ext in {'epub', 'mobi', 'azw', 'azw3', 'fb2', 'lrf', 'pdb', 'prc', 'lit', 'txtz', 'htmlz'}:
        call(EBOOK, path)

if ext == 'pdf':
        call(PDF, path)

if ext in {'cbz', 'cbr'}:
        call(COMIC, path)

if ext in {'gz', 'bz2', 'xz', 'txz', 'tgz', 'tbz2', 'rar', '7z'}:
        call(ARCHIVE, path)

if ext in {'opf', 'xml', 'html', 'htm', 'xhtm', 'xhtml', 'zip'}:
        call(EDITOR, path)

mimetypes.init(mimetypes.knownfiles + [custom_mimetypes])

mt = mimetypes.guess_type(path)[0]
    if mt:
        if mt.startswith('text/'):
            call(EDITOR,  path)
        if mt.startswith('image/'):
            call(IMAGE, path)
        if mt.startswith('application/vnd.openxmlformats.') or mt.startswith('application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.'):
            call(OFFICE, path)
        for x in {'application/msword', 'application/vnd.ms-'}:
            call(OFFICE, path)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just FYI, a handy trick I use is to create my own ~/bin/xdg-open much nicer than having to configure file associations, for the crazy xdg-utils. This allows me to do fun things like change the virtual desktop to the desktop I use for my web-browser when opening http links and to create associations for every file type I use in just a few lines of code.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python2
# vim:fileencoding=utf-8
from __future__ import (unicode_literals, division, absolute_import,
                        print_function)

__license__ = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2013, Kovid Goyal <kovid at kovidgoyal.net>'

BROWSER = 'firefox'
PDF = 'okular'
EBOOK = 'ebook-viewer'
EDITOR = ('gvim', '-f')
IMAGE = 'gwenview'
OFFICE = ('libreoffice', '--nologo')
DIRECTORY = 'dolphin'
COMIC = 'okular'
ARCHIVE = 'ark'

import os
import sys
import mimetypes
import urlparse
import subprocess
import urllib

arg = sys.argv[-1]
base = os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(os.path.realpath(__file__)))
custom_mimetypes = os.path.join(base, 'conf/mime.types')
url = urlparse.urlparse(arg)

def call(args, path):
    if isinstance(args, basestring):
        args = [args]
    raise SystemExit(subprocess.Popen(list(args) + [path]).wait())

if url.scheme in {'http', 'https', 'ftp'}:
    from libqtile.command import Client
    c = Client()
    if c.group.info()['name'] != '2':
        c.screen.togglegroup('2')
    call(BROWSER, arg)

if url.scheme in {'file', ''}:
    path = url.path
    if path and not os.path.exists(path):
        path = urllib.unquote(path)

ext = path.rpartition('.')[-1] if path else ''

if not path or not os.path.exists(path):
        print (path, 'does not exist')
        raise SystemExit(1)

if os.path.isdir(path):
        call(DIRECTORY, path)

if ext in {'epub', 'mobi', 'azw', 'azw3', 'fb2', 'lrf', 'pdb', 'prc', 'lit', 'txtz', 'htmlz'}:
        call(EBOOK, path)

if ext == 'pdf':
        call(PDF, path)

if ext in {'cbz', 'cbr'}:
        call(COMIC, path)

if ext in {'gz', 'bz2', 'xz', 'txz', 'tgz', 'tbz2', 'rar', '7z'}:
        call(ARCHIVE, path)

if ext in {'opf', 'xml', 'html', 'htm', 'xhtm', 'xhtml', 'zip'}:
        call(EDITOR, path)

mimetypes.init(mimetypes.knownfiles + [custom_mimetypes])

mt = mimetypes.guess_type(path)[0]
    if mt:
        if mt.startswith('text/'):
            call(EDITOR,  path)
        if mt.startswith('image/'):
            call(IMAGE, path)
        if mt.startswith('application/vnd.openxmlformats.') or mt.startswith('application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.'):
            call(OFFICE, path)
        for x in {'application/msword', 'application/vnd.ms-'}:
            call(OFFICE, path)
Thank you for this suggestion! I will happily steal this and see what I can do with it.

It just works as a command-line wrapper for opening files, though -- not for integrating into a file manager, so ultimately a better solution may simply be to assemble the mimeapps.list that custom-specifies everything I use and add it to the list of dotfiles I would copy from computer to computer.

Or setting all files to open with "xdg-open"...
Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It depends on the file manager, some of them use xdg-open, some do not. Personally, I dont use file managers. But, if you do use one, then setting all files to open with xdg-open will do the trick. I find maintaining ~/bin/xdg-open for file associations is much easier in the long term. It's more powerful and needs much fewer lines of text to maintain.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote