Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
People can discuss whether or not a 7" screen would fit in their pockets, suit them better than a 10", but the main reason for Steve Jobs to say such a thing is the simple fact that a number of their rivals are about to release devices that size that otherwise have superior hardware specs.

Personally, I find my ipad is fine to use at home, but it is a little too big for me to take it everywhere in a jacket pocket like I can do with my ebook reader, my ebook reader is also more comfortable to hold one-handed as well.

In time we will probably have a wide range of tablets filling all the gaps up from smartphones and past the size of the ipad as the market grows in niches all become worth filling.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
This is just what Jobs always says right before Apple brings out the very product Jobs was disparaging. If you look back through Apple's history since Jobs returned to the company, this has happened every single time Apple has come out with a new product.
That is exactly what I was thinking. In fact, I'm hoping for it. I really like the iPad as an e-reading device, but the heft is problematic for me. I'd be happy to cut it in half, if it meant it would weigh ~12 oz like the the Nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Personally, I find my ipad is fine to use at home, but it is a little too big for me to take it everywhere in a jacket pocket like I can do with my ebook reader, my ebook reader is also more comfortable to hold one-handed as well.
I find the iPad a bit heavy to lug around - especially once you add a case for protection. It's living on my nightstand at the moment, which limits its usefulness compared to the other reading devices I've tried. I can carry my iPhone, but since it isn't on iOS 4, I lose the syncing feature.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I envision a world where 3.5-4" phones, 6-7" tablets, and 9-10" tablets can all co-exist peacefully, and it'll be up to the consumer to decide which one suits their needs best. If people want 7" tablets, but Steve Almighty isn't willing to produce one, perhaps those people can just by an Android one.
I'd like to have two Android tablets - 4" and 7".

Too bad they're not making 4" ones and a shame most manufacturers are treating their tablets like cellphones by partnering with wireless carriers. I don't want to be forced into a data plan. That's why I don't have a smartphone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I would much rather have a 10" netbook than a 10" tablet. In fact, I do have a 10" netbook.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
In fact, I do have a 10" netbook.
So do I; but it's not as portable.
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So do I; but it's not as portable.
Curious. I can't see a netbook being any less portable than a tablet of the same size unless you are referring to the weight. The only other difference would be the thickness, the disadvantage of which would be more than offset by the convenience of having a real keyboard, a screen that has a built in kickstand, more storage, etc. I doubt my luggage would really notice the difference in thickness.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I have a nice netbook but I still have a hankering for something iPad-ish for the living room. There are a couple of ways that the iPad is more instantly accessible for the sort of thing I use around the house (e.g. to look something up on the internet, check my e-mail or write a quick one). For travel, the total volume and weight on my netbook (MSI Wind U123) is substantially more than an iPad.

My netbook has to be opened. It has to be woken from sleep/hibernation or (gasp) cold-booted. iOS devices, like my iPhone, wake up instantly. For whatever reason, they also connect to my home wireless network much faster after wake-up. The form factor of a clamshell, keyboard bottom & screen top, is not as casual as a flat touchscreen. The downside is they are not as much fun to type on but no big deal for short messages or browsing. I also see a keyboard dock that resolves that complaint.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #23
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I want a tablet approximately the size of my Kindle, that will fit in my purse, and not be too heavy. That is what I was actually looking for, and ended up buying an iPod Touch, and an iPad. I can't carry the iPad around though, because it is too big and heavy. I would carry it on vacation, to be able to use maps and things, but not every day.

I tried a Viliv S5 UMPC, but the screen resolution was too high for the screen size, and my bad eyes couldn't cope. The next size up was too heavy (for me, at least).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Curious. I can't see a netbook being any less portable than a tablet of the same size unless you are referring to the weight. The only other difference would be the thickness, the disadvantage of which would be more than offset by the convenience of having a real keyboard, a screen that has a built in kickstand, more storage, etc. I doubt my luggage would really notice the difference in thickness.
I'm comparing a 10" netbook with a 7" tablet. I see no need to get a 10" tablet since I already have a netbook.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #25
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
What I'd like to see are tablets with attachable keyboards. If you need a netbook, you have it, and if you don't, you just resort to the touchscreen.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #26
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Steve Jobs Calls 7-Inch Tablets 'Dead on Arrival', Says 10-Inches Minimum

"...Commenting on avalanche of tablets heading to market. Just a handful of credible entrants. Almost all use 7" screen, compared to iPad at nearly 10" screen. 7" screen is only 45% as large as iPad's screen. Hold an iPad in portrait view and draw a horizontal line halfway down. What's left is a 7" screen...too small. There are clear limits to how close elements can be on the screen before users can't touch accurately. We believe 10-inch screen is minimum necessary."

I wholeheartedly agree.

I hope the next iPad bumps the screen size by an inch or inch and a half. Or somebody else comes out with 10"+, but not the 16x9 cheepo screens.

Then finally we'll have a great PDF reader
Yeah well... Steve Jobs, for years, pooh-poohed the idea that Apple would ever deign to release a tablet - went so far as to call proponents crazy. Today, the iPad is one if Apple's hottest products. So I always assume that the more he denigrates an idea, the harder Apple is working on it.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #27
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yeah well... Steve Jobs, for years, pooh-poohed the idea that Apple would ever deign to release a tablet - went so far as to call proponents crazy. Today, the iPad is one if Apple's hottest products. So I always assume that the more he denigrates an idea, the harder Apple is working on it.
He's sort of a reverse seer.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd like to have two Android tablets - 4" and 7".

Too bad they're not making 4" ones and a shame most manufacturers are treating their tablets like cellphones by partnering with wireless carriers. I don't want to be forced into a data plan. That's why I don't have a smartphone.

But they are making 4" (4.3 actually) ones. I do a great deal of reading on my HTC EVO 4G, and it's with me ALWAYS. I understand that the Droid X and several other high end smarphones also have 4.3 inch screens. You can probably get one on eBay without a data plan and just use WiFi.

As for a 7" Android tablet, when one comes out with the price/specs that suit me, I'll probably get one.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
You can probably get one on eBay without a data plan and just use WiFi.
Can you get a new one for $300-$400?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #30
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
If you gotta have a device that fits in your pocket and you want an ipad, you may as well buy clothing with big enough pockets to carry it.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote