Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Yes, and the other option would be to use Calibre to convert your pdf's to some other format (like epub) and then use Stanza to read. Stanza is an awesome e-reading program, by the way!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
Thanks - I think I see, it does pdfs through USB via iTunes?

I have self-scanned books (not pdf) that I didn't really want to transfer by any means that would involve uploading, which would've limited me to the Calibre/wifi route according to the folks I asked, and a LAN is a bit overkill if you're on dialup. I can treat my current phone as a USB drive, but now the password safe app I like best requires wifi sync...six of one, half a dozen of the other I guess...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #18
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
my son reads his ebooks on his ipod touch using stanza, and he quite likes it.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
Shaitan00
Shaitan00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
What about the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro?
Shaitan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You might like to look at the Pocketbook 360. If you're after a pocket-size device, it's one of the best around.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #21
Shaitan00

How does it fair at reading in the dark?
Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaitan00 View Post
The same as any other eInk device - it doesn't. But there are lots of solutions available for this, and the tremendously better reading experience of eInk compared to LCD is, IMHO, the overriding issue. I read for something like 15 years on LCD devices. Having used eInk for the last few years, I wouldn't go back, for most purposes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaitan00 View Post
As Harry said: It doesn't. But it all depends on your room lighting. If you are comfortable reading paper book in there, i think you won't have any problem with e-ink devices. However, if you often read in low-light condition, you won't like it.

Please be advised that once you try to read in large screen (5" or 6"), you will find that reading in small devices such as ipod touch or Palm to be cramped. It happened to me.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #24
Shaitan00

Honestly most of my reading is done either on the bus in the morning/night (so ever changing light depending on the weather) and the majority done in bed from 2:00-5:00am in pitch-black while the wife sleeps behind me ...

So, either I get something that allows me to continue doing that or I change my habits I guess...

I wonder ... maybe that is why my eye sight is so bad now
Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #25
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
It that case, I vote for ipod Touch, combined with Stanza (for epub) and Goodreader (for PDF) for you.
In fact, I like my ipod touch better than Palm TX.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #26
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Yeah, either that or one of the new Android mini-tablets like the Dell Streak: http://content.dell.com/us/en/corp/d...ll-streak.aspx
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
Shaitan00

That Dell Streak tablet looks awsome ... any clue how much it will be selling for?
(I am in Canada)
Old 06-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #28
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't know that it was possible to read on a Palm Pilot. Didn't it have about 2k of RAM?
I did a quick check and the original Palm PDA had 128kb of memory. By the time I got my first Palm PDA (the Vx), it had 8mb of memory.

Although I didn't have the original Palm PDA, based on my experience with the later PDAs it is likely that some ebook readers were developed for it. Programs for Palm PDAs tend to be small to accomodate the amount of available memory.

I used the Palm Reader software on my PDA and it took only a small amount of space in the PDA's memory. Added to this was the format for ebooks, which is a file created from a Palm Markup Language file (a text file with markup that shares similarities to HTML) and took up relatively little space on my PDA. Even with 8mb of storage on my PDA, I still had room for more than 100 ebooks with space remaining for other many other programs.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote