Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #16
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Oh lord help I think I'm now considering reading these again.

I started this series when it was about 2 or 3 books in, loved the first one, 2nd was ok, 3rd was good... then things started really going downhill IMO. I think I made it through the 5th one... maybe, but I can't even remember now. I own at least 6 of them and hardcover at that.

Knowing this is such a subjective question, can people here tell if it's worth my time to read this series? I would start from the beginning as I haven't read that first book in more than 15 years. Wow. I suddenly feel really old.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Oh lord help I think I'm now considering reading these again.

Knowing this is such a subjective question, can people here tell if it's worth my time to read this series? I would start from the beginning as I haven't read that first book in more than 15 years. Wow. I suddenly feel really old.
I'd say no myself. Look for some new and better authors. The first few books of the WOT are good but after the 4th, they get ridiculously slow. I don't know if it's worth your time to read through 7,000 pages of tugging braids and smoothing skirts for the occasional plot-line.

I take it you're a fan of Tad Williams. He's far superior to Jordan in my opinion. Joe Abercrombie is supposed to be a good new author of heroic fantasy. I've read a bit of the first book and they seem quite good. Mervyn Peake is also brilliant if you've never tried him. Difficult at times but a unique sort of style. Robin Hobb and George RR Martin are good too. And of course Tolkien.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #18
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
I'd say no myself. Look for some new and better authors. The first few books of the WOT are good but after the 4th, they get ridiculously slow. I don't know if it's worth your time to read through 7,000 pages of tugging braids and smoothing skirts for the occasional plot-line.
Stop, stop... you're bringing back memories best left buried.

Quote:
I take it you're a fan of Tad Williams. He's far superior to Jordan in my opinion. Joe Abercrombie is supposed to be a good new author of heroic fantasy. I've read a bit of the first book and they seem quite good. Mervyn Peake is also brilliant if you've never tried him. Difficult at times but a unique sort of style. Robin Hobb and George RR Martin are good too. And of course Tolkien.
Tad Williams - always enjoy his books, though I haven't read his newer fantasy series. "Memory, Sorry & Thorn" and "Otherland" were much fun though.

I've been hearing great things about Joe Abercrombie and just haven't picked anything up yet. Nothing really in ebook and then I kind of forgot about him.

Mervyn Peake - is that the Gormenghast guy? I tried starting all that once, long ago, but didn't "get it" I think. Should probably give it another go sometime.

Robin Hobb - *LOVE* the Farseer books! Read the first 3 and i guess you'd say the last 3, centering on the Fool, but skipped the middle ones about the Liveships or whatever they were called as I wanted to keep going with the same characters.

George RR Martin - love the idea of his books, the gritty realism he injects, but I just can't seem to stick with it. I've read the first book and half way into the second book twice, but have never finished that 2nd book.

Whew! Sorry to have derailed this thread. I'll step out now.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
I'm on The Shadow Rising (book 4) at the moment.

I am seriously considering giving the series up. You are right on the money with the comment about braid-tugging, skirt smoothing and the bloated descriptions, it makes getting through the books a real pain in the ass.

The only thing keeping me going is the hope that Jordan will stop describing furniture and go on revealing important information about Rand's ancestry, the Dark One's true nature, etc.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Those were annoying but what really annoyed me was that after 6 long books, he was still introducing new characters and subplots. That was when I started thinking of them as a soap opera with an open ended plot.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #21
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Mervyn Peake - is that the Gormenghast guy? I tried starting all that once, long ago, but didn't "get it" I think. Should probably give it another go sometime.

Robin Hobb - *LOVE* the Farseer books! Read the first 3 and i guess you'd say the last 3, centering on the Fool, but skipped the middle ones about the Liveships or whatever they were called as I wanted to keep going with the same characters.
Of course, Peake is the guy who spends two or three pages describing a fly buzzing around a room. If you don't like detailed description, Gormenghast may not be your cup of tea.

Shadowplay, I recommend the Liveship stuff to you. The Fool is in it, although you don't even realize it until the Tawny Man trilogy (there are hints, but I didn't pick up on them until having it laid out for me). The third trilogy does make more sense with the information from the Liveship series.

Back on thread topic, I think the WoT will be a much better read when the whole thing is available. As each book has been released and more plot threads get started than get resolved, people have gotten frustrated because there hasn't been a sense of completion at the end of a book....and it's been a two year wait between them for the most part. Once you can view it as a single story it'll be a more pleasant/less frustrating read. I think. The latest book was phenomenal, in part because a lot of the loose threads started coming together. I'm very much looking forward to Brandon Sanderson's entry next month.

I'd say it all depends on whether a fourteen book story (plus a prequel) is something you want to invest your time in.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #22
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Of course, Peake is the guy who spends two or three pages describing a fly buzzing around a room. If you don't like detailed description, Gormenghast may not be your cup of tea.
The difference is that Peake is a good writer who doesn't spend time describing the same things again and again and again. Jordan's "detailed descriptions" usually add nothing to the plot, whereas Peake's are usually focused on key characters or settings. Peake describes things the way he does because he's an artist and is striving to create images and not just words.

On topic, I heard that Sanderson had to rewrite his single book sequel into two because Jordan's widow wanted "more clothes" and descriptions of said clothes.

I think sticking to trilogies is a good thing for fantasy authors because otherwise they tend to become over-complicated and impenetrable to newcomers. George RR Martin looks like he's falling into the same hole Jordan fell into and the plot is starting to get away from him. Even writing different stories in the same setting is preferable to creating an unwieldy number of characters and places.

Last edited by corroonb; 09-06-2009 at 07:19 PM.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
George RR Martin looks like he's falling into the same hole Jordan fell into and the plot is starting to get away from him. Even writing different stories in the same setting is preferable to creating an unwieldy number of characters and places.
I've been waiting for him to finish before I started his series. At least he hasn't yet put the series on hold to publish a prequel before the main sequence is finished.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #24
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
I'm on The Shadow Rising (book 4) at the moment.

I am seriously considering giving the series up. You are right on the money with the comment about braid-tugging, skirt smoothing and the bloated descriptions, it makes getting through the books a real pain in the ass.

The only thing keeping me going is the hope that Jordan will stop describing furniture and go on revealing important information about Rand's ancestry, the Dark One's true nature, etc.
hehe I've almost finished book 6. I'm going to keep with the series. What irritated me a lot in the first 3 books especially was every description of a fire never let out any heat. Book 4 I think was the first one where a fire actually let out some warmth. Also Jordan was so descriptive on describing the creases on a dress for 3 pages and yet he'd sum up what should have been a good fight scene into 1 or 2 paragraphs. IMHO character fighting outcome is more important than the constant retelling of Aes Sedai dress colours.

I can tolerate him dribbling on a little with the main characters, but when he dedicates an entire chapter to the current feelings/thoughts and history of an insignificant character whom you don't come across again for another few chapters or books, that drives me a little nuts. But that said, the latter books I find the first 200 pages or so difficult to get into, but after that the story seems to flow again at a reasonably good pace. I am starting to break up my reading though, the first 4 I read sequentially but I am finding I need to read a different book to break the story up a little.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Slashdot loves him. Or at least as much as he deserves.
Anyway, ch.1 of book 11 available as a free download. Book will be out oct. 27
Enjoy, I hope.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #26
Namtar
Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7, Kobo Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Elonex EB500
Looks like they are officially releasing them in eBook format accoring to this statement linked from the latest TOR/Forge newletter

Quote:
Tor will be releasing the ENTIRE Wheel of Time series in various eBook formats beginning with the release of The Eye of the World beginning on October 27th. Each book will be released in series order on a monthly basis after that. The text of the books has been optimized for the ebook reading experience, and retain all illustrations and maps from the physical books. Pricing is not yet available
the linke to the whole announcement is here.

So looks like only another year and a half until they are all available as ebooks - one a month.
Namtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #27
bertold
Connoisseur
bertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it is

Device: iRex iLiad v2, Onyx Boox Note 3
Quote:
Knowing this is such a subjective question, can people here tell if it's worth my time to read this series?
I think it is, but only if you judiciously skip around. It's not that difficult
to recognize a description you can obviously ignore and just move past
it. Yes, this is annoying, but there are some very nice moments in the
series which are worth getting to, in my opinion. For example, what happens
in the second half of book 9 is huge. I would have hated to miss that,
but I would have, if I hadn't skipped at least 10% of the book while reading
it.
bertold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #28
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
I started re-reading the series again for the 4th time. I think I may be falling out of love with it. It's just not capturing me the way it used to.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #29
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
I've been hearing great things about Joe Abercrombie and just haven't picked anything up yet. Nothing really in ebook and then I kind of forgot about him.
Just. Read. It. Now.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please do not purchase the new Wheel of Time eBook if the others in the series are not released or you will just be telling TOR it's ok to screw us over with book series. And you'll be doing no favors for every since person who reads eBooks. So please, pass this one by. Stay far away.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote