Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
djloewen
Connoisseur
djloewen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I asked Kobo about offering a standby option instead of just a full power-down, the answer was very interesting: it actually goes into standby automatically after 10 seconds. So, 10 seconds after every page turn it goes into low-power "trickle" mode, whereas if you press the power button it goes into no-power mode (while still leaving the book cover onscreen). So when I'm done reading for the night I'd typically power it down, but if I'm just switching from a subway to a bus or something there's no need to do anything, just leave the text onscreen and it's automatically in standby. Very smart, I tihnk, the only dumb thing is that they're not telling this information to anyone. If someone were to just compare devices without knowing this (as I did with Kobo vs Sony, and as I've read in some reviews) they'd think the Sony's 0.5-second "boot-from-standby" time to be much more impressive than Kobo's 35-second "full boot" time. So, uh, spread the word I guess :P

Edit: the next thing I'm curious about: load the same book into the Sony 300 and the Kobo, turn to page 1, and then just let them sit for a few days and see which drains the battery faster. The Sony will go into (blank-screen) standby mode after 5 minutes, the Kobo will stay in text-on-screen standby, the question is, which one's "standby" mode is more power-efficient?

Of course, to find out someone would need to have both devices and be willing to not read either for a few days.

Last edited by djloewen; 05-03-2010 at 01:06 PM.
djloewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You mean, a few weeks.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Anyone know if there is a lock option? I'm worried about the blue button being pushed by accident when its in my bag.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Anyone know if there is a lock option? I'm worried about the blue button being pushed by accident when its in my bag.
Turn it off ---

How long does it take to start up after it is off?

Dale
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
djloewen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You mean, a few weeks.
I'm not sure. Typically readers advertise about 10-14 days of use, but my wife (who reads a lot) finds that her Sony 600 drains quite a bit faster than that. And I don't know how the two week number is obtained (perhaps 3 hours of intermittent page-turning, 5 hours of standby and 16 hours powered off per day, for example).

It's also worth noting that Kobo claims 8000 ePub page turns, Sony 6800 (and 7500 for their older BBeB format).
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #21
djloewen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Turn it off ---

How long does it take to start up after it is off?

Dale
35 seconds by my watch.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djloewen View Post
35 seconds by my watch.
With a 35 second start up time a keyboard lock feature would be a useful feature to keep the page from accidentally turning when you put it in a bag or case.

Dale
Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #23
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
With a 35 second start up time a keyboard lock feature would be a useful feature to keep the page from accidentally turning when you put it in a bag or case.

Dale
I don't know if KOBO has implemented that, but normally, all the EB600 clones have the ability to go into keylock.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
cheeseiskool
cheeseiskool began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo E Reader
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthyScribe View Post
That's one of the features of the Kobo eReader...when you power down the unit, the cover of the last book you were reading comes up. It's not a defect, that's how it's supposed to be.
So... If it's on the screen of the last book I read it wont use any of my battery power and it is fully turned off? for all you help!
cheeseiskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #25
cheeseiskool
cheeseiskool began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo E Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by djloewen View Post
That's not entirely true. What is true is that the screen requires no power to hold an image. There is, however, still a difference between "on" and "off". When it's on, there's software running on it and at least a small "trickle" of power keeping the RAM alive. Some readers (like Sony) have a "standby" mode where the screen goes blank (when you flip the power switch) but the "trickle" is still there - it means your book loads in less than a second when you "turn it on" (vs 35 seconds with Kobo), the downside is that it is (slowly) draining your battery.

But yes, with the Kobo, when you hit the power button and it shows the cover, it is fully off.
im confused please help
cheeseiskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #26
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseiskool View Post
im confused please help
With firmware 1.4 on your kobo

Normal Usuage
The e-ink doesn't use power to refresh the screen once it appears but while you are reading the Kobo is using your battery (the processor mostly).

Standby mode
After reading when you hit power or leave the Kobo alone and don't do anything for a while (about 10 min?) the machine goes into standby or sleep mode. Usually the book cover is shown but sometimes it is a generic "Kobo" screen that tells you that it is in sleep mode and you simply have to hit power to start. In that mode it is still using power (i.e. your battery is slowly draining) and restarts at the touch of the power button (no significant waiting to return to your page).

Powered Down
After a certain amount of time in sleep mode or if you hold the power button for more than 2 seconds while reading the Kobo turns off (power's down). The screen says that the machine is powered down and you need to press start. When you do it takes a while to start up the machine (i.e the start up bar creeps across the screen and it takes 35 sec or more). When powered down the machine is using no power (the battery is not draining.)

Last edited by p_a_smith; 08-28-2010 at 08:50 AM.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
janinski
janinski began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO ereader RG-N647-S
Hi,

My Step-Mom's received a new Kobo eReader last year for Valentine's Day. After a few month's, it stopped working for her for whatever reason. She contacted Customer Service and her device was replaced with a "Refurbished model RG-N467-S. From my experience, any refurbished electronic device only has a short-term life span.

Ok, after a few more months, the refurbished replacement developed image burn - from the middle to the bottom - 1/2 of the screen. I just wanted to post that yes, image burn does happen on a Kobo ereader ... FYI.

She will be contact Customer Service, again, to have them replace it with a New device which is what she orginally had.

Photos of the burn are here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...44304952320017

Cheers!
janinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I don't think that's image burn. That's a damaged eInk screen.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by janinski View Post
I just wanted to post that yes, image burn does happen on a Kobo ereader ... FYI.
No, it does not. There's no light to burn anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I don't think that's image burn. That's a damaged eInk screen.
Absolutely.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Absolutely a broken substrate of the screen. Look at the starburst pattern in the lower left side of the picture. Do a search on here for substrate and it will describe what it is and why it can break easily. That looks like a point impact or pressure rather than twisting. Unfortunately, that's not likely to be covered by warranty unless you're really lucky. And likely has nothing to do with being a refurb.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote