Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tench View Post
The date trick definitely has some uses. Also, I've found that if you only connect your reader to Calibre, the date will not automatically change. So just put as many library books on as you want, change the date on your reader, and avoid the Sony Library and ADE and you can read the library books for as long as you want.
I know that connecting only to Calibre won't change the date. Alas, I don't know how to get around the DRM so that I can put my library books on Calibre. Any advice would be appreciated!
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Alas, I don't know how to get around the DRM so that I can put my library books on Calibre. Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm not sure you can, unless you strip the DRM, in which case I think the books would no longer expire, so you wouldn't need to worry about not opening ADE anyway. Personally, I haven't felt a huge need to put new library books on my reader before I've read the old books, and if I ever did want to do that, I could always just re-check out the expired books, which isn't the end of the world really.
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsheilah View Post
Being able to continue reading the library book after the expiration date hasn't worked for me with the NYPL. The book is gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsheilah View Post
LOL, you're right! I did connect to ADE later in the day and my reader date corrected itself. Guess you really can't beat the system..BUT

suppose I was going on a trip and wanted to download books from the library.... In that case, since I wouldn't be going online during my trip, I could reset the date and not have to worry about my books expiring.

I had a book recently that was coming up to the due date that I wasn't finished reading. I did not plug in my reader, and made sure I didn't get out of that book in my reader and I was able to finish past the due date.

Another library tip I learned recently is that if you belong to more than 1 library, it will not let you have books from two different libraries on your reader at the same time.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Quote:
Another library tip I learned recently is that if you belong to more than 1 library, it will not let you have books from two different libraries on your reader at the same time.
I've been able to have books from two separate libraries on my reader at the same time, and they've worked fine. But I think both libraries used Overdrive, so maybe that's the difference?

I have had a problem putting both library PDFs and library ePubs on my reader at the same time.
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
megs94
megs94 doesn't littermegs94 doesn't littermegs94 doesn't litter

I am a NY resident but live nowhere near NYC... does anyone know how I go about getting a library card? Everything I've seen on their website says I have to go to a branch location to pick up a card, but that is seemingly impossible. Thanks!
megs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by megs94 View Post
I am a NY resident but live nowhere near NYC... does anyone know how I go about getting a library card? Everything I've seen on their website says I have to go to a branch location to pick up a card, but that is seemingly impossible. Thanks!
The only way to do it is to go to the library to get the library card and then you can access the libraries eBooks. You can do it without having to go to the library that requires paying for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
megs94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only way to do it is to go to the library to get the library card and then you can access the libraries eBooks. You can do it without having to go to the library that requires paying for it.
I wonder how much that would cost me. I'm sure a trip to NYC would cost me more... hmm...
Old 07-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by megs94 View Post
I wonder how much that would cost me. I'm sure a trip to NYC would cost me more... hmm...
What part of NY do you live in? Would it cost you more than $100?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #24
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not true if you are a New York State resident. You can apply online and they will mail it to you within a month. My application was processed in two weeks and I have out books and read them on my Netbook (I am waiting for the firmware upgrade for my EZ-Reader so I can read them on it). See below from their website....

How Do I Apply for a Library Card?
Adult and teen users may either apply online or in person at any New York Public Library location or Library-sponsored event.

Applications for children ages 11 and under must be completed in-person at the Library or any Library-sponsored event, and require the signature of a parent or guardian.

Please see the Library Card Terms and Conditions page for complete eligibility requirements and additional information.

Note: Applications submitted online may take up to one month for processing and delivery via U.S. mail. Valid identification must be presented to Library staff for verification before any card may be used to borrow materials or reserve a computer.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #25
megs94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
Valid identification must be presented to Library staff for verification before any card may be used to borrow materials or reserve a computer.
That was the part that confused me. I assumed that I would need to present valid ID before I could check out an e-book, but am I wrong?

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #26
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also--apparently, NYPL recently quit accepting non-NY resident applications for $100, so when mine comes due next month I won't be able to renew.

megs94, when I did apply for my non-resident card, I was able to send in a copy of my driver's license as verification of my ID. Before I did that, I sent them an e-mail asking how everything worked and got a very helpful reply--so maybe try that--I'm sure they'll let you know what you need to do.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #27
Santa Fe Painter
Santa Fe Painter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle2
I just had an online chat with a NYPL Librarian. I asked about the out-of-state Library Card procedures. Her response was, "Our policy has changed and we no longer offer out of state residence an annual fee."
Santa Fe Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #28
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe Painter View Post
I just had an online chat with a NYPL Librarian. I asked about the out-of-state Library Card procedures. Her response was, "Our policy has changed and we no longer offer out of state residence an annual fee."
This is true. And, in any case, the "new member" quoted in the OP as saying "I have someone in New York that I can access their library card " would be violating the terms of use of the NYPL.Please don't condone this type of activity.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #29
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
This is true. And, in any case, the "new member" quoted in the OP as saying "I have someone in New York that I can access their library card " would be violating the terms of use of the NYPL.Please don't condone this type of activity.
I agree...

If you do like our library so much, you can move and you too can pay higher taxes
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote