Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is the best Ebook Reader For Australia?
Cybook Gen3 2 14.29%
Sony 9 64.29%
Hanlin V3 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #16
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
At DA Direct in Melbourne, we have these in stock: Cybook, HanLin V3, both iLiad versions and the iRex DR1000S. We also have all accessories for these readers.

http://www.dadirect.com/books/ebookreader.asp

There's a comparison matrix at:
http://www.dadirect.com/books/downlo...pecsMatrix.pdf

Suggest you also take a look at the below link...
Hi Cbell,

I live in Sydney and am seriously looking at the Hanlin.

Would I be able to have it sent to a post office box for pick up? I hate sitting at home waiting for deliveries.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #17
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
moz, regarding the AU prices, all DA Direct's ebook readers must have GST added, so we've included that in the prices on our matrix.

MrFinch, all DA's readers come with AU plugs or AU adapters - there's nothing more to buy to use them in Australia (although I remember you hate e-Ink!).

Laine, we can't mail a HanLin (or any other reader) to you, as Australia Post doesn't come anywhere near covering the value if it goes astray or is damaged in transit. Perhaps we could have the courier deliver it to your work address, neighbour, relative or friend? Our standard overnight courier cost for delivering a single item is only AUD7.95.

khilto01, comparing the Cybook and HanLin side-by-side, there's very little difference. They have the same 6" Vizplex screen. The differences are in the hardware (how they look and feel, how robust or elegant they are, and how they're controlled), the software that renders/displays the various formats and the formats they support. Note that the HanLin comes with the leather cover and an AU USB power charger included (you can plug your reader into a power point to charge). Both devices can be charged via their USB cable connected to a PC.

Just to clarify a little, montsnmags, HanLins do support dictionary lookup, but only from within the dictionary, not from another ebook. i.e. you can open the dictionary on the HanLin, type in the word you want to look up and it will search for and display matches and definitions.
Cybooks support dictionary lookup from within another ebook - this is a feature that some people find very valuable.

DA Direct supports the manufacturers' warranty for all our ebook readers and we provide an Australian technical helpdesk.

Last edited by cbell; 01-09-2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Added warranty info
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Just to clarify a little, montsnmags, HanLins do support dictionary lookup, but only from within the dictionary, not from another ebook. i.e. you can open the dictionary on the HanLin, type in the word you want to look up and it will search for and display matches and definitions.
Cybooks support dictionary lookup from within another ebook - this is a feature that some people find very valuable.
Yes, I had a feeling that the Hanlin worked with the dictionaries (though not within an ebook being read), but wasn't completely sure. So, that's what I meant when I said about the Cybook that it supported ""dictionary lookup" from within an ebook". Thanks for clarifying and expanding on it - much appreciated.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinch View Post
Hmmm...I was about to post a new thread, but here we all are talking about the best eBook reader for Australia so-a question!

I'm eyeing off either the Fictionwise 1150 or a GEB 1150-getting a travel adapter to change the charger's pin pattern is no problem but...will it charge on Australian 220v power as opposed to American 110v? Or will it spontaneously combust???
The adapter it comes with will not work on 220 but there are chargers that will work fine. Check the wiki on the eBookwise-1150 for some choices and what you need. It basically needs 12V input at 1000 mA.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #20
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
Marc, Dale, cbell-thanks so much for your replies and help. This is why I tell all my friends to make this forum their first stop for all things eBook related. You guys are legends!
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 AM   #21
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

*blushing* Thanks, MrFinch, comments like that make my day!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #22
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Hi cbell,

Any news from Hanlin on an ETA for release of the revised v3 with wireless as mentioned by RobertB (re the astak mentor pro and pro touch) in the News and Commentary forum. He indicated late Feb/March for release of the pro and protouch version.

I am hoping you'll be releasing them both into Australia at the same time ?
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
cbell
Frenetic

Hi Mobelby, Nice to hear from you again! We're looking forward to V3s with wireless/touch screens very much.

We don't have an ETA yet, but I have you on my email notify list.

Yes, I'm confident DA Direct will be selling the new HanLins and we'll be releasing them to our market (AU and NZ) as soon as they're available.

I'll email you pricing and an informational brochure as soon as we have more details from Jinke.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:13 AM   #24
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I have both the BeBook (Hanlin clone) and the Cybook (bought form DA direct).
I bought the Cybook when My BeBook failed and I had to send it back to the Netherlands for repair and knew I would be without it for quite some time. I have just been notified that it has been repaired so hopefully will have it back in a week or so.

I am hard pressed to choose between the two devices, although will have to do so as my daughter is wanting one of the devices.

My experience of sending the device back overseas for repair is one that makes me lean towards buying such a device from a store here in Australia.

As for Sony, this requires constant conversion of e-books to be read on the device. This is ok, but can get tiresome and I much prefer to simply download a mobipocket book and read.

Service from DA Direct is second to none.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #25
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
As for Sony, this requires constant conversion of e-books to be read on the device. This is ok, but can get tiresome and I much prefer to simply download a mobipocket book and read.
Hmm, while it might be quibbling, as I agree that buying from a 'local' retailer may well be an overriding advantage, the Sony only requires "constant conversion" if your books are mobipocket, which, while it is a very common format, isn't the only one around! I realise that the OP wants MP books, but the statement seemed to be making a general conclusion. Anyway, quite apart from it's own LRF/LRX format, the Sony also handles PDF, TXT, RTF & ePUB, including DRM-ed ePUB as used by on-line libraries.

Last edited by gwynevans; 01-12-2009 at 05:43 AM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Hmm, while it might be quibbling, as I agree that buying from a 'local' retailer may well be an overriding advantage, the Sony only requires "constant conversion" if your books are mobipocket, which, while it is a very common format, isn't the only one around! I realise that the OP wants MP books, but the statement seemed to be making a general conclusion. Anyway, quite apart from it's own LRF/LRX format, the Sony also handles PDF, TXT, RTF & ePUB, including DRM-ed ePUB as used by on-line libraries.
And DRM-ed PDF which is used even more in on-line libraries.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #27
WhippStar
WhippStar began at the beginning.

I have just recieved my Cybook this morning and cant wait to get home to give it a whirl.

DA direct were a pleasure to deal with, great communication, helpful advice and fast delivery.

Once I have had a play i will let you all know what I think of the Cybook.

Last edited by WhippStar; 01-13-2009 at 07:29 PM.
WhippStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #28
cbell
Frenetic

sianon, thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

WhippStar, glad you've both received your Cybooks safely and I look forward very much to your review!

Hope you've got them charging now...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
How come the Kindle wasn't in this list, is it available in Australia?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #30
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
How come the Kindle wasn't in this list, is it available in Australia?
It's not available in Australia, no, though like a lot of things (eg. the Sony ebook devices) it's available to Australia from overseas. There are "complications" (which you might consider minor, major or irrelevant) to use of the Kindle in Australia (such the lack of Whispernet & purchasing ebooks for it) if you bought one from overseas, but that is a question to be answered (and has been) elsewhere. Certainly their are people in Oz who have purchased the Kindle and are quite happy with it.

That is to say, if your question is "Can the Kindle be bought from an Australian store?" the answer to all practical purposes is "No" (with all the usual provisos to do with small sellers/importers/ebayers).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote