Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
ARC = Advanced Reader Copy
Ah, thank you.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
All right, I anticipate a slight bit of mockery for having to ask these (probably obvious) questions, but...

Do the discs for a specific author generally contain all of that author's Baen publications, up to that point? Baen CD-ROM Library Version 22: The Mission of Honor Disk is the first of these that I have gotten, because despite being a voracious reader and a science fiction author, I am relatively new to ebooks, per se. Browsing your site, it looks as though each of the David Weber-specific discs include most of the same content, with the later "versions" including incremental upgrades... so the earlier discs would be, for most of us, redundant.

If that is indeed the case, would it be possible to put together a quick-and-dirty list of the most current, non-redundant discs, for those who simply want the stories and aren't bent on collecting each variation?

Also, was there a "Version 21" disc, and if so, who was the featured author?

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
Do the discs for a specific author generally contain all of that author's Baen publications, up to that point?
Yes, but earlier discs would sometimes include books by other authors, IIRC.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
David Weber in particular has been very generous with his older books, allowing Baen to release them for free like that. I wish other publishers would look at this model and see how successful it actually is.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #20
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
David Weber in particular has been very generous with his older books, allowing Baen to release them for free like that. I wish other publishers would look at this model and see how successful it actually is.
And he's picked up quite a few loyal readers that way. Certainly I'd never read any of his stuff before the *free* copy of On Basilisk Station that I downloaded as a sample over a decade ago. And I've used those free ebooks to hook quite a few others over the subsequent years.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #21
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm a really happy camper now that Baen is carrying Sharon Lee & Steve Miller's Liaden Universe series. Their Unibus collections contain the short stories that were formerly only available in their chapbooks. I appreciate the fact that Baen is making its ebooks available at a reasonable price, provides multiformats, and allows redownloads of purchased books.

I can easily get ebooks that I want on the Dark Side; I make sure that I get Baen authors' books from Baen because I appreciate the fact that they have a sensible business plan when it comes to ebooks - one that benefits them and their readership.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #22
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Ah, thank you.
Just to expand on this a little. The ARC's are the version right before the last copy edit so there are differences between it and the final version but they are usually limited to small things like typos.

BAEN releases it's EARC (Electronic Advanced Reader Copy) roughly 3 months before the hardback hit's store shelves.

EARC usually run about ~$15 but is worth every cent to get my Weber/Flint/Ringo book early.
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baen free