Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There's also the factor that some folks just like bookstores. I enjoy going to the local B&N for an hour or two even when I'm pretty sure I won't buy anything.

It's not something that everyone would have to do for stores to continue, just enough folks to continue to make it viable.

They might have to continue to add other offerings ... perhaps the Book Store of the Future will be a glorified FourBuck's with some sort of electronic arrangement to allow browsing both 'shelves' and 'books,' who knows?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Art magazines and coffee table books still don't work for me in digital format. Maybe someday.

Meanwhile, I really miss small-town bookstores where I knew the staff and we could talk about books. Just imagine -- a small-town style bookstore that could hold Barnes & Noble sized inventory... with comfortable chairs, sample e-readers of various types to try out, content that can be sampled on the store's readers or your own, good music playing (because a small store can be more focused on a particular group of customers and their tastes), and maybe even snacks & beverages, because why not?

And there could be author visits, lecture series, book groups, stuff like that.

Last edited by nekokami; 03-21-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: hit save too early
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
My point is not that there is no point to a bookstore. I go to bookstores a lot, to browse, and to buy PRINT books, but not to buy ebooks which, of course, I can't handle or fondle the way I can a "dead tree" (an awful term, regularly and derogatorily used by a number of people in this forum) volume. I do see people in bookstore cafes with their own computers, which they can use to buy ebooks - they do not need to use one provided by the bookstore itself - which also means that they don't have to be physically present in the bookstore to do so.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm picturing kiosks which would display "cover" art and pages of selected books on some kind of rotating basis, stationed around the store, probably magnified so one could see them from a bit of a distance.

Writing workshops would be cool, too. Yes, you can do them online, but sometimes things are a bit more fun in person.

I think independent local bookstores with large digital inventories could become part of the decentralization of the publishing/selling process. They would succeed for somewhat different reasons than the large bookstores are successful now, but I think they could be just as successful.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As much as I might like it to work, it will fail if tried on a large scale. Sure here and there it might work -- for a time. People want to walk out of a bookstore with something solid in their hands. They buy substance, not arranged electrons.

Remember some years ago the "print on demand" machines that cropped up in bookstores that allowed you to buy thousands of books that were not stocked and they would be printed and bound while you waited. They're gone. Dead. Mostly forgotten.

eBooks in bookstores and even most bookstores will also be gone soon.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I used to like to hang out at bookstores... specifically, my local bookstore where the owner and clerks knew me, knew my tastes, knew their inventory, and therefore could steer me towards great material, and discuss it intelligently. Alas, I don't get that from Borders or B&N megastores, so I only go when I want a certain book... that day... and I expect to be able to get it there.

While it's true that I would want to leave a bookstore with a product in my hands... if I went there and they did not have the book I wanted (something that happens quite often to me), I would be more than satisfied to be able to have an e-book of the title e-mailed to me by the time I get home. Maybe even to order the print book, and get the e-book e-mailed to me anyway.

The value of this is, to me, twofold: One, you at least get the book in e-format, even if you wanted print; and Two, it gets e-books out there for more people to think about and try, and spreads their market. So I'm okay with the idea, in theory at least. I'd like to see how they come out in practice, what formats are available, cost, DRM, etc.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Remember some years ago the "print on demand" machines that cropped up in bookstores that allowed you to buy thousands of books that were not stocked and they would be printed and bound while you waited.
Matter of fact, I remember hearing about them, but never finding a bookstore that actually had them (another example of bait-and-switch marketing)! And yeah, I could see the e-book idea becoming one of those "offered in select stores only" things that you find in exactly six stores nationwide (Hackensack, Tulsa, Reading, Kokomo, Walla Walla and Lake George)...

...please, no comments from Hackensack, Tulsa, Reading, Kokomo, Walla Walla and Lake George...
Old 03-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #23
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
There's also the factor that some folks just like bookstores. I enjoy going to the local B&N for an hour or two even when I'm pretty sure I won't buy anything.
I don't have enough money or shelf space to spend that long in a B&N.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #24
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
Matter of fact, I remember hearing about them, but never finding a bookstore that actually had them (another example of bait-and-switch marketing)! And yeah, I could see the e-book idea becoming one of those "offered in select stores only" things that you find in exactly six stores nationwide (Hackensack, Tulsa, Reading, Kokomo, Walla Walla and Lake George)...

...please, no comments from Hackensack, Tulsa, Reading, Kokomo, Walla Walla and Lake George...
That would have been too cool, if it actually materialized. I wonder how it would work for binding, etc., and how much it would have cost to print-on-demand.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #25
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
That would have been too cool, if it actually materialized. I wonder how it would work for binding, etc., and how much it would have cost to print-on-demand.
I never found out. In related news, record stores advertised for awhile the ability to burn select music tracks onto a custom CD, also on-demand while you wait. Never saw that equipment in a record store either.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 AM   #26
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
I never found out. In related news, record stores advertised for awhile the ability to burn select music tracks onto a custom CD, also on-demand while you wait. Never saw that equipment in a record store either.
The old Tower Records in NW Washington, DC near George Washington University had one for a while. Always very limited selection and "not in service" most of the time.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
I saw one of those here in NH. I never tried it -- couldn't afford it at the time. (I got most of my music as holiday gifts at that point in my life.)
Old 03-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I seem to recall having seen one (of the music kind) at some point, but not where or when.

I only ever saw the book kind on TV.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #29
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I think bookstores will adapt to ebooks just like they adapted to audiobooks.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #30
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard
I think bookstores will adapt to ebooks just like they adapted to audiobooks.
Sell them on CD?

Tags
brick and mortar, caravan project, digitalization, politics and prose