Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Maybe it's because none of your file paths contain spaces ?
Oh they do but, thanks to your little writeup it has now been possible to use the iPhone/Stanza integration I have enjoyed with the Kindle/iPhone/Amazon
I will take what I can get for the time being and I will patiently wait for the issue to be resolved
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #17
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
What are "cron jobs"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

Basically scheduled tasks that run to take care of stuff automatically.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Forgive me you already know this, but the newer versions of the Calibre server detect the mobile browser of the Kindle. I'm able to download all my non-Amazon books (I also store the Amazon ones, too), directly to my Kindle. Searching/sorting all works - it's fabulous!!

It's not Dropbox, since you have to keep your own computer running, but it works great. I do use Dropbox, too - I keep my library on my laptop synced (via Dropbox) to the iMac that we use as our server.
I am used to putting my iMac to sleep after I am done using it so the server solution does not work for me.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #19
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
What are "cron jobs"?
Unixism...

The cron daemon is a long-running process that executes commands at specific dates and times. You can use this to schedule activities, either as one-time events or as recurring tasks.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
Devon
Enthusiast
Devon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
Thank you for the DropBox info. I set up my Calibre file in DropBox and it works great syncing my two macs. The Problem I have is while the files sync, Calibre doesn't. Is there a way to refresh the book list so it shows the new files?
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #21
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
Re: What are cron jobs ?

Quote:
What are "cron jobs"?
cron jobs are a way of starting programs and shell command scripts/ batch scripts on (originally) Unix and Linux operating systems and (now also) Windows environments like CygWin or U/Win. Windows though has it's own tools like that since about Windows NT 3.5 - they are called the Windows Scheduling service ...

And I hope you don't mind me saying: Google before you ask ...

cklammer
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #22
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cklammer View Post
And I hope you don't mind me saying: Google before you ask ...
I hope you don't mind me making you feel stupid by informing you that I already knew the answer to the question you spent so long answering.
I was trying to support dpierron's assessment that not everyone knows what a cron job is, let alone how to set one up. That's what the semi-hidden sentence underneath was for, the one you edited out when you quoted me.

Can I give negative charma?

Thanks to the other guys answering the question without bitching.
And I apologize for the question - I seem to have wasted a lot of resources across the globe with this failed attempt at humor.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 AM   #23
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Guys, guys, peace on Earth...

I think that scheduling cron jobs is a bit ahead of a lot of people, with or without Google's explanations...

That was the point I was trying to make with Kovid, to convince him that it would be better to automate this within the Calibre GUI.

But, back to the original subject, Devon I'm sorry but I don't understand your question clearly enough to answer ; would you be so kind as to reformulate it, please ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #24
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
For the people that don't use Dropbox, this is also possible with Microsoft Live Mesh ( www.mesh.com ). Simply sync the Calibre library folder on all PC's in your mesh and everyting is available everywhere within seconds. You can also find your data on any PC with an internet connection.

It is a free service with 5 Gig of webspace. That should be enough for a couple of books.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #25
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
can anyone help?

im on a mac and wondering if i can use my .mac account to do something similiar but i dont really understand whats happening? but teh end result sounds good.

I have a .mac account an iphone and numerous macs and one PC

i know I can have a public area on my .mac account that I can link to??

Make it public.
iDisk includes a Public folder that makes working with others easy. Just add the files you want to share and your friends and coworkers can access them using any web browser. They can download any file in your Public folder to make changes and post their own files, too.

Share large files.
Sharing files too big to email as attachments is a snap with iDisk. Just upload what you want to share, choose your recipients, and iDisk sends them an email with a link to download the file. You can assign a password to keep your files secure and even set the number of days the download link is available.

Space available.
Your MobileMe membership includes 20GB of storage space for all your email, photos, files, and more. Put in perspective, 20GB of space is enough to store nearly 7000 high-quality photos. You can tell MobileMe how much of your 20GB to allocate to Mail and how much to your iDisk. However you split it up, rest assured you’ll have plenty of space to store what’s important to you.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #26
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
can anyone help?

im on a mac and wondering if i can use my .mac account to do something similiar but i dont really understand whats happening? but teh end result sounds good.
I don't know about .mac, but dropbox is free - so you wouldn't need to use your .mac account.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:59 AM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
I'm pretty sure a lot of people here know Dropbox, the (free at first) file sharing and synchronization service...

I use it to sync the files on my two Macs, and my work PC ; it's a very easy to use and efficient service.

Recently, I began syncing my Calibre library, so the books I edit/add/remove on either machine would be available on all the others ; Calibre is a multi-platform marvel, so this syncing makes a lot of sense.

And I thought of something : if I generate the stanza.xml file from the Calibre database (using the calibre-db command), maybe it could be automatically accessible from my iPhone, now that the whole Calibre library is synchronized and available on my Dropbox account ?

Guess what ? It works ! Unfortunately, it's still a manual process, but I'm pretty sure it could be possible for our generous Kovid to change it into something automatic...
Briliant idea! I've already had my db file in my dropbox account for a while - now I only need an iPhone
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #28
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I can get this to almost work. I can browse my catalogue, but no images appear and I can't download any of the books either?

I am only using calibre 0.6.13 as I didnt want to upgrade to the latest version because of it supposedly breaking the stanza thing.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #29
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
halljames : that's because the links in the stanza.xml file are broken, Calibre uses a function called urlencode to convert special characters in these links, and Stanza does not understand all of them (I'm pretty sure it's a Stanza bug). You need to manually edit the file, and replace all occurences of '%28' with '(' and '%29' with ')' (with no quotes, obviously), given that you use a version anterior to 6.0.24 (which breaks this, unfortunately, due to my bad explanation of the problem to Kovid, sorry)

stustaff : I'm not sure about Mobile Me, but I guess that if you can share the files in a folder of your Mac to a public directory of your iDisk, then all you need is to find out the (public) URL (address) of your stanza.xml file, and replace the DropBox addresses in my explanation with it. Feel free to email me privately if you want some help (dpierron at gmail dot com)
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 AM   #30
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Thanks for your help.

I have upgraded to calibre 0.6.23 but it still wouldnt work, and I was manualy editing the fille to replace the brackets.

However, I have got it working perfectly with all images and book downloads and it turned out that the problem was in my batch file. I change the original command you gave in your post to the following :

Code:
calibredb list --output-format stanza --prefix http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/788541/calibre_library > stanza.xml
Notice I removed the single quotes from arround the http link. That was causing it to fall over as the href produced in the xml file had extra single quotes in it.

Well done though, what a fantastic way of getting a mobile book library.

Last edited by halljames; 11-19-2009 at 08:48 AM.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote