Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's run out of memory. You need to use 64-bit Calibre to convert very big books.

I've converted much larger books than this one (37,171KB) and had no problem, so there's something else wrong with the file that's causing a memory error.

ADDED: I've tried to convert the MOBI to EPUB, to AZW3, and to MOBI. The first two failed in 35 seconds and the third failed in 34 seconds. And MOBI to TXT took 34 seconds to fail.

Last edited by deback; 03-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
15Grammes
15Grammes began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Deback : I use a 64 bits system with 24 Go of Ram, but how to know the version of Calibre, I just know that it is the 3.19.0 version...
15Grammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #18
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Grammes View Post
Deback : I use a 64 bits system with 24 Go of Ram, but how to know the version of Calibre, I just know that it is the 3.19.0 version...
Look in the bottom left corner of the main Calibre window for the version number.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If it just says "calibre 3.19" on the bottom left of the status bar, it's the 32-bit version. 64-bit Calibre will say "calibre 3.19 [64bit]".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #20
15Grammes

I donwload the 64 bit version... better but the conversion does not progress any more from 47 %...
Advert
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I donwload the 64 bit version... better but the conversion does not progress any more from 47 %...
Just leave it. It could take many hours. Days, even.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #22
15Grammes

Ok, I wait
Thank you really for your help.
Regards
15G
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
I've converted much larger books than this one (37,171KB) and had no problem, so there's something else wrong with the file that's causing a memory error.
Size of the book doesn't matter. The structure, complexity and accuracy of the css is of more concern.

Quote:
Stalling at 47% is common, this does not mean it failed. If in doubt look at the job details. If it hasn't given an error then most likely it is still processing. Let us know how it goes.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #24
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Size of the book doesn't matter. The structure, complexity and accuracy of the css is of more concern.
I realize that. That's why I mentioned there is probably something else wrong with the file. I would suspect "accuracy" is a concern with this book. I have a feeling there are tons of errors in the file.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I realize that. That's why I mentioned there is probably something else wrong with the file. I would suspect "accuracy" is a concern with this book. I have a feeling there are tons of errors in the file.
Not necessarily. I buy a lot of large omnibus editions of books from Delphi Classics, and many of those run out of memory when trying to convert using 32-bit Calibre. They all convert using the 64-bit versions, but sometimes take several hours to do so.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #26
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not necessarily. I buy a lot of large omnibus editions of books from Delphi Classics, and many of those run out of memory when trying to convert using 32-bit Calibre. They all convert using the 64-bit versions, but sometimes take several hours to do so.

I've edited and converted many of the Delphi Classic omnibuses (and none of them took several hours to convert, especially with my new computer).

With my old computer, many of the large omnibuses that I've created would take up to two hours to convert, and some of them would end up crashing Calibre.

But with my new computer that I built with very good hardware at the time in November (Samsung 500GB SSD, Intel i7 8700K CPU, EVGA 850 watt power supply, Gigabyte Z370 Gaming motherboard, LeGrand Macho with fan TY-147B), none of the large omnibuses I've created have crashed, and it usually takes about 15 to 25 minutes for them to convert (including the Delphi Classic omnibuses).

My point was that the file being discussed in this thread failed to convert on my new computer after 35 seconds, when trying to convert it to several different formats (from MOBI). I've never had this happen before, and I've created and converted hundreds of large omnibuses, many of which are much larger than the file being discussed. I believe there is something in this file that Convert can't handle. I guess we will find out when the OP posts about what happened with his conversion.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I believe there is something in this file that Convert can't handle. I guess we will find out when the OP posts about what happened with his conversion.
Agreed. The fact that he said that it was sitting on 47% suggests that conversion will work, just take a long time. The 47% mark is where it's analysing the contents of the source file.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #28
deback
Book E d i t o r

Right, all of my "large file" conversions sit at 47% for a while.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #29
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@15Grammes: Since Jules Verne is in the Public Domain, you could download free versions of his books as epubs and pdfs from sites such as ebooksgratuits.com and save yourself the hassle of dealing with large anthologies.

Alternatively, give the KindleUnpack Calibre plugin a try and convert the book to an epub first. It takes only seconds to convert even larger books.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-21-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #30
15Grammes

It's ok after 8H !
Tanks every bady
15G