Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you plan to keep or return your kobo vox?
I'm keeping it. 42 67.74%
I'm returning it for a refund. 12 19.35%
I haven't decided yet. 8 12.90%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
Mike P
Mike P began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My primary purpose was to have a decent tablet that allowed me to use Press Reader and Zinio - both are great on the Vox. Combine this with my kobo books being available, solid web browsing and very good video playback, I've got more than I wanted for $199.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
My primary purpose was to have a decent tablet that allowed me to use Press Reader and Zinio - both are great on the Vox. Combine this with my kobo books being available, solid web browsing and very good video playback, I've got more than I wanted for $199.
Yeah, that's how I feel exactly. I am sure loving Zinio!!!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
actually the RDP client that was included with the Asus eee pad is really cool; for anything she isn't able to do on her pad when she's upstairs, she can easily just log into her desktop box and do it from there.

with the screen being so small on the vox, I couldn't see this being too practical
Agreed that using RDP was quite impractical on the small screen. I was just being a geek.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #19
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I was a bit miffed that google apps like listen wouldn't work, but once I got astro, dropbox, and a game or two on it, I fell in love. It stutters sometimes, as the processor seems weak, but people, it's a $200 tablet that does anything besides 3d games. What's not to love?
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #20
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I've experienced almost none of the bugs that people have been complaining about and I'm definitely considered an expert user, so I've been able to solve many of those issues myself.

The real reason I'm sticking with the Vox is that the Kobo development team is great. Sure, they're super busy right now. It's launch week and they're getting bug reports thrown at them faster than they can handle. But the fact that I sent a PM to a developer on a third-party forum about an advanced topic that clearly sits outside the regular use of the device and he promtly messaged back with the information I needed is the reason I'm not going anywhere.

Kobo has always been great about being dedicated to open source. The e-ink models have github pages where you can get all the source code and documentation and the team is super helpful if you've got questions or if you report a bug.

In a world were most companies are trying to find new and exciting ways of preventing their customers from having access to their own devices it's refreshing to see one that understands that there's a different way. Giving nerds like me not only open access but actively helping out means that there are going to be more awesome benefits for everyone.

I for one plan on doing as much as I can to support that kind of company.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
It was pretty easy to sideload my books using an SD card and great to discover that the Kobo reader does provide some organizational tools, like deleting books and arranging them by author. But I had a very frustrating time trying to download apps yesterday and strongly considered returning my new toy.

I was able to find the few apps I wanted and click on download and even get a message that the download had started. But then - nothing! Finally, looking at all the preloaded apps, I noticed one called Downloads, clicked on it and Voila - there they all were! So I installed the ones I wanted, deleted the duplicates, and quite happily played AngryBirds on a screen that's a much better size for it, in my mind, than either an iPod or an iPad!

I love that you can sideload books between friends and family, using an SD card, and think that this feature will actually lead to people buying more books because sharing reduces the per-book cost.

It's definitely a keeper!
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
I think it's great - I'm lovin' it almost as much as my wife's Sony Tablet. And I haven't experienced any glitches to speak of. But I'd sure like to find a good video player.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #23
some1else
Enthusiast
some1else began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPhone 4, Kindle 3G
Definitely returning it. I am not able to load books with the SD card, I wanted it for the primary use of reading ePubs from the public library. 3 days with no response from Kobo Help is pathetic.
some1else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #24
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1else View Post
Definitely returning it. I am not able to load books with the SD card, I wanted it for the primary use of reading ePubs from the public library. 3 days with no response from Kobo Help is pathetic.
It is very easy to load books from your SD card and I know that at least the Toronto Public Library has n app for borrowing books that works perfectly fine.

Maybe post some of the trouble you're having here and we can help.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #25
some1else
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
It is very easy to load books from your SD card and I know that at least the Toronto Public Library has n app for borrowing books that works perfectly fine.

Maybe post some of the trouble you're having here and we can help.
thanks for the offer Jeff. I have posted the issues in several other threads. But my major issue is I downloaded ePubs from City of Calgary library into Adobe Editions. The Vox isn't compatible with ADE or Calibre so the Vox isn't recognized in those programs so I can't transfer the books that way. I put the books on a micro SD card but when I go through the steps to import them on the Vox I get the same error over and over saying "Something went wrong"

Another user suggested Overdrive but the Overdrive library files are audio.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
Zabet
Zabet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm returning it. I find it slow when reading pdfs, I don't enjoy reading books on the screen (I find it hard to focus) and I hate that I cannot access the android market.
Zabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #27
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1else View Post
thanks for the offer Jeff. I have posted the issues in several other threads. But my major issue is I downloaded ePubs from City of Calgary library into Adobe Editions. The Vox isn't compatible with ADE or Calibre so the Vox isn't recognized in those programs so I can't transfer the books that way. I put the books on a micro SD card but when I go through the steps to import them on the Vox I get the same error over and over saying "Something went wrong"

Another user suggested Overdrive but the Overdrive library files are audio.
I borrow books from the BC Online Library. I was able to download the Overdrive app, which I am successfully using to read my borrowed epubs that I downloaded from the BC Online Library via WiFi straight onto my Vox. The Overdrive app plays epub and mp3 (unfortunately, no WMA - which most of the audiobooks are).

I do enjoy the app to read - the books look just as good as they do on my Kobo WiFi (where I sideload them from ADE).

It has been a bit of an adjustment for me to read on a backlit screen, but if I set the brightness really low, it's good!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #28
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
it seems like Aldiko also supports ADE books too. I was going to try that tonight.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #29
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabet View Post
I'm returning it. I find it slow when reading pdfs, I don't enjoy reading books on the screen (I find it hard to focus) and I hate that I cannot access the android market.
What are you using for PDF reading? I've had no issues with Perfect Viewer, and ezPDF is faster than that.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #30
some1else
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
it seems like Aldiko also supports ADE books too. I was going to try that tonight.
that didn't work for me. I downloaded Aldiko to the vox, then I dragged & dropped the epubs to the aldiko on ADE. But when I open aldiko on the vox the books are not there?