Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
jiembe
Zealot
jiembe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You cannot use % because there is nothing to calculate the percentage against. % refers to height of containing element. The containing element in this case is the body, which has no well defined height since its height depends on its contents. So the % height specification is ignored.
Thank you... Again ! But your editor respond to 'max-height: 100vh;' with "CSS: Property: Invalid value for "CSS Level 2.1" property: 100vh [16:5: height] [titlepage.xhtml]" Same answer after I used the tool to 'upgrade" to ePub3.
jiembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes vh is not in CSS 2.1 but it will work all the same. And note that you can sontinue to use % if you wish, it wont work in the editor, but the viewer will automatically rewrite it to vh on the fly so it will work there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'm only testing Calibre 4.0 on a my test Linux PC and keeping current 3.xx on my Linux laptop. There are too many issues and the Reader GUI changes seem suited for a phone, not a desktop.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted, but it seems a premature release and the Reader changes only considering one user demographic. I only actually read on eink, managing the library for all my eink and family's eink reader is the whole point of Calibre. Been using it since XP was my main OS.

I use the Reader to quickly check TOC links are correct, First Paragraphs match body paragraphs and all headings and links are correct, from the import /conversion. I check a dual mobi converted from epub2 converted from a docx import, then upload the epub2 to Amazon and Smashwords (without opening it as that creates a bookmark). I also upload the dual mobi to Smashwords.
The AZW and epub are used for the ereaders here, inc wider family and beta readers. I also buy books from Amazon and Smashwords as well as importing from Gutenberg and other public domain sources.
Managing about 1500+ ebook and 500 technical PDFs (used on a tablet) as well as about 40 documents/books imported from LibreOffice Writer via docx.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #19
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Ah you mean the editor. You will have to complain to the makers of chromium. Using 100% no longer works in that browser and hence in calibre which uses it. Use 100vh instead and it will work fine.
But then you have to learn to ignore the error reported by "Check Book":
Quote:
Invalid value for "CSS Level 2.1" property: 100vh
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
But then you have to learn to ignore the error reported by "Check Book":
Right certainly sounds like an undue burden.
Advert
Old 10-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Right certainly sounds like an undue burden.
Wouldn't it be nicer if "Check Book" joined the modern world and stopped reporting this as an error?
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Wouldn't it be nicer if "Check Book" joined the modern world and stopped reporting this as an error?
Technically those are warnings (yellow items).
Maintaining device specific filters would be a major PITA. And I meann DEVICE MODEL as what causes a model to barf on a book varies by firmware.

I also dislike (semi-)permanent suppression, as folk tend to forget that they HID that warning 5 years ago. OTOH I would not balk on having a Press to test for <model> filter that the user could place on a toolbar. (the filter only persists for that use)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But it is an error. 100vh does not work in ADE 2.0.1. It also does not work on my H2O with a newer RMSDK then 2.0.1.

So the problem is, do you fix your eBook so it works in the viewer or do you leave it so it works with RMSDK (ADE)? And I cannot say how many other programs break with vh.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are there any media queries we can use for the viewer to vh when using the viewer but use % with everything else?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Ah you mean the editor. You will have to complain to the makers of chromium. Using 100% no longer works in that browser and hence in calibre which uses it. Usee 100vh instead and it will work fine.
Yep. We've run into the same thing with Sigil. Most people seem to have adjusted to it, though. Didn't know about "100vh", though. Thanks!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Feel free to contribute a working CSS3 validation to the css-parser library then. Waaay too much work for me just to avoid the occassional unneeded warning.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yep. We've run into the same thing with Sigil. Most people seem to have adjusted to it, though. Didn't know about "100vh", though. Thanks!
is there any way to modify Sigil so it converts % to vh when it sends the code to be rendered? vh does not work with ADE 2.0.1 and whatever version Kobo uses. And if people put in vh to get it to render correctly with Sigil, it may not render correctly for whatever software if they forget to put it back to % before being done.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #28
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
@JSWolfe:
Quote:
Are there any media queries we can use for the viewer to vh when using the viewer but use % with everything else?
In the Editor module, I have tried media queries in an effort to have Kindle-specific styles survive the ePub to AZW3 conversion. No go. Calibre silently eliminates them.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
@JSWolfe:

In the Editor module, I have tried media queries in an effort to have Kindle-specific styles survive the ePub to AZW3 conversion. No go. Calibre silently eliminates them.
Try converting the ePub > KF8 using Kindlegen. After you've converted the ePub, load the .mobi into Calibre and use the KindleUnpack plugin to separate out the KF8 eBook. Then delete the .mobi from Calibre and load the .azw3 into Calibre and load that to your Kindle. That should keep the media queries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...cId=1000765211
Old 10-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #30
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
@JSWolf:
Quote:
Try converting the ePub > KF8 using Kindlegen. After you've converted the ePub, load the .mobi into Calibre and use the KindleUnpack plugin to separate out the KF8 eBook. Then delete the .mobi from Calibre and load the .azw3 into Calibre and load that to your Kindle. That should keep the media queries.
Wow, thanks for that but seems like lots of layers there. I had originally tried media queries in Calibre to save the one step of going back into a converted AZW with Calibre to edit the CSS to put large, negative margins on the HTML root tag.

ALL, each and every book I read on the Kindle or tablet, I extensively recode via Calibre in order to improve the typography and add visual interest, as well as insert proper conventions such as blockquote. The Paperwhite wastes lots of space at the margins, so I want to add negative margins for the PW without destroying the look of the ePub or the Calibre viewer.

After converting the edited ePub to AZW3 and transferring to the Paperwhite, I delete the AZW3 in Calibre, keeping the cleanly-coded ePub.

Thanks,
Brett

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 10-16-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote