Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #256
SusiQ
Enthusiast
SusiQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Update

Thought I'd let you know, plugin doesn't work with K1 : "ERROR: Create Kindle Collections plugin: Unable to open Kindle file: F:\system\collections.json<P>"
Not surprised since I think that .json thingy is for collections and K1 doesn't support them. It also listed some corrupt Mobi files, so will reconvert them. It did, however, generate the preview log of what collections it WOULD have created, sorted by tags. Will let you know what happens when I get the K3. And again, I can't thank all of you enough for the effort you put in to creating this thing and making it work! It is a godsend to someone like me!!

Susie
Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #257
Jyfwired
Jyfwired began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PaperWhite, Nexus 7, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I don't have a MAC so I can't test it for the MAC. What does "calibre-customize -a create_kindle_collections_plugin.zip" respond with?
Where do I go to test that on my Mac? Is this an option inside of calibre?
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #258
Jyfwired

OK - when I download the plugin to the MAC , I get two .py files in a folder named 'create_kindle_collections_plugin'. The files are: create_kindle_collections_plugin.py and create_kindle_collections_code.py.

I've installed the command line interface to the mac, per the user guide. When I execute the command you've suggested here's what I get:

jenyfmbp:~ jenyf$ calibre-customize -a create_kindle_collections_plugin
Python function terminated unexpectedly:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 147, in main
return run_entry_point()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 116, in run_entry_point
return getattr(pmod, func)()
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 580, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 379, in add_plugin
File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 65, in load_plugin
calibre.customize.ui.PluginNotFound

Your help is appreciated. I just need to understand where the files need to be located in order to use the command line interface. I'm using the OSX Terminal program.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #259
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Don't unzip the plugin - it must stay zipped

You can use the GUI to add a plugin (Preferences->Plugins, add) - but you still have to not unzip the file

If the MAC is auto-unzipping it to the py files, then I'm not sure how to stop it from doing that.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #260
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Keep the files in the zip (don't extract them). Put the zip file in the same folder as where your command prompt is opened at (is ~jenyf your home folder or something?).

I don't know if things are different in the linux/mac world but on windows at least you will need to add .zip to the end of that command line:

calibre-customize -a create_kindle_collections_plugin.zip
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #261
jay2222
jay2222 began at the beginning.

Device: k3
Collections from text strings in the doc title?

Am I right to say that the plugin could create Collections from text strings in the doc title?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #262
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

You can use the GUI to add a plugin (Preferences->Plugins, add) - but you still have to not unzip the file

If the MAC is auto-unzipping it to the py files, then I'm not sure how to stop it from doing that.
If you right click on the file and select "download linked file" it should not be automatically unzipped. Alternatively, the zipped file should still be in the trash and can be yanked out and put back That's what I normally do.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #263
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
meme - I just wanted to send a note of THANKS to you. I had some issues with the Kindle Collections plugin but after cleaning up some items I was able to get the plugin to work they way I wanted it. Your directions were spot on and I didn't have any problems.

This is a great addition to Calibre and just wanted to come back and let you know all is good! Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #264
Shadow Panther
Shadow Panther began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
The plugin does not add BOOKs to the Kindle. Calibre is responsible for that.

The plugin only creates Collections on the Kindle (see the Kindle user guide for an explanation of collections.

You can tell the plugin to only include specific collections. For example, if you only want to create a collection for the author 'Bob Smith' then uncheck all the columns in the plugin (not the Keep Kindle checkboxes) and check authors. Then type in 'Bob Smith', without the quotes, into the Include column for author. Then run preview.

It might help if you give some examples of what you want to see on your Kindle for collections, and if you are already using collections on your Kindle.
I use collections, but they vary in how they are sorted,

some are by series and some by author.

Example of what I want to do:

I recently received 59 Stephen King books. between these there is the 7 dark tower books now what I want to do is transfer the 7 dark tower books to a collection "Stephen King - Dark Tower" and the rest of the books to "Stephen King" without rearranging the rest of my collections on the Kindle.

Then I know this is slightly off topic but how does one include the "Book number" into the title that is created when transferring the book over to the kindle ? I changed {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} to {author_sort}/{series} - {title} - {authors} and {author_sort}/{series_number} - {title} - {authors}, but neither give me the booknumber prior to the name of the book
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #265
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2222 View Post
Am I right to say that the plugin could create Collections from text strings in the doc title?
Can you give an example of a few books and how you would want them collected?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #266
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Panther View Post
Then I know this is slightly off topic but how does one include the "Book number" into the title that is created when transferring the book over to the kindle ? I changed {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} to {author_sort}/{series} - {title} - {authors} and {author_sort}/{series_number} - {title} - {authors}, but neither give me the booknumber prior to the name of the book
I believe the book number is {series_index}.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #267
Jyfwired

Quote:

OK - I'm good! Downloading with FireFox browser kept the file as a zip file, and I was then able to install the plugin!!! (Safari automatically unzips the file into a folder--- which is nice, most times).

Thanks for your attention. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks for the plugin. I'm psyched t use it.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #268
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Thumbs up @meme: Almost perfect

Hi meme
Did some more testing, and IF I, remember to do what ever config changes needed, your plugin works like a charm.
VERY nizzzzze
As a Dane "I must find something to complain about", so I hope somewhere in the future a "merge" with existing collections, so every collections isn't sorted by collection name (start from scratch), but rather by "last accessed" adding the new collections "last".
Don't go crazy about this ! You did GREAT work !!
All can be done within Calibre.
Cudos !!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #269
meme
Sigil developer

Actually that was an easy 1 line to add, so you'll see it whenever I get finished tinkering with the next release.

So it will soon set the last access time to something old only for collections managed by Calibre - it will leave the current last access time for any Kindle managed collections, and given the timestamp I'm using the Kindle managed collections will always be the most recent.

Now, the sort order for titles is another matter. I've been just sorting basically alphabetically. But I think I've finally got a handle on how the Kindle 3 is sorting and so I'm changing the sort to match what the Kindle shows (mostly - its a strange algorithm).
Old 03-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #270
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Now, the sort order for titles is another matter. I've been just sorting basically alphabetically. But I think I've finally got a handle on how the Kindle 3 is sorting and so I'm changing the sort to match what the Kindle shows (mostly - its a strange algorithm).
How will this new sorting affect K2 users, do the two use the same programming for sorting??
Closed Thread