Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #241
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi MrWarper,

Any contribution is welcome. If I need some help I know to find you .
Can you tell more on the "I find it mighty annoying that item titles at startup page are changed to English" - issue? I assume this is only related to the new items in the Home-screen?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #242
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Hello and sorry about the late reply again - I have to remember to check daily

Yes, I thought I had seen English somewhere else, but apparently it's just the Home screen.

Two more issues, though:
-New HTML files do not show in 'recently added', and I've only had one appear in 'recently read'. All attempts to discern why or make any others appear there were unsuccessful.
-The 'Black Screen of Death'. The 'Details' view is not allowed for the Home screen (and rightfully so, it doesn't make sense), so the toolbar button is disabled. But if you navigate to a folder, set the view to 'details' and then turn off the device, the next time it starts, you get a mostly black screen and you can't do anything, except manually modifying the corresponding entry in dr.ini.

I'd like to propose that folder views can be remembered (we need a setting to enable/disable that). This might be implemented with a flag in the filesystem at the folder level, be it with flag files or an entry in each .db file. It implies that the flag must be read every time before displaying each folder, but since folder contents are to be listed each time anyway while navigating, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by MrWarper; 12-13-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: wording
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #243
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post

-The 'Black Screen of Death'. The 'Details' view is not allowed for the Home screen (and rightfully so, it doesn't make sense), so the toolbar button is disabled. But if you navigate to a folder, set the view to 'details' and then turn off the device, the next time it starts, you get a mostly black screen and you can't do anything, except manually modifying the corresponding entry in dr.ini.
interesting, I had this many times, but you seem to have identified the cause (and invented a name) for it.
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #244
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

I created issues in the BitBucket repository (so I will not forget them ...). The Black Screen of Death seems very annoying, I will give it priority.
The other issues you have with the database not being properly updated for documents in recently added, recently read and cbz files puzzles me. As far as I know there should not be any difference in handling pdf, html or cbz. Could it be that your global.db file is corrupted?
You can use SQLite2009 Pro Enterprise Manager it is a freeware tool that I use on windows to inspect sqlite databases. It has a menu-option 'Integrity Check'.
I will also do some experiments myself.

Does anyone else have simular problems with files not showing-up where they are supposed to show up?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #245
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

djvu files do not appear in recently added either
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #246
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
djvu files do not appear in recently added either
But you can start them by clicking on them? And see them in the 'SD Card'-view?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #247
fekhner
Addict

yes, thanks to the luite/yuri_b plugin.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #248
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
yes, thanks to the luite/yuri_b plugin.
So the document is shown in the SD Card-view but not in the recently added (or recently read)? That is strange, can you check such a document with the Tools->Info -menu item? It should show the file_time_lastread and file_time_added, also check the tag-field, it should not be empty.

See if we can solve this mystery...

Last edited by Mackx; 12-12-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #249
fekhner
Addict

after checking, everything works fine: djvu files appear correctly both in recently added and recently read, sorry for the confusion, I must have added some files earlier than I thought.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #250
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
The other issues you have with the database not being properly updated for documents in recently added, recently read and cbz files puzzles me. As far as I know there should not be any difference in handling pdf, html or cbz. Could it be that your global.db file is corrupted?
I've done the following test:
-deleted *.db from my SD card, deleted /System/.covers, moved ebooks out of the SD card.
-booted my work DR1000 with the SD card.
-moved ebooks (PDFs and HTMLs and some images, I don't really use other formats, I'll use multipage .TIFF and .CBZ in the future as well -- I added an .EPUB for good measure) back to the SD card and booted the DR1000 again.
Result: ebooks are indexed, cover thumbnails are created for some of the files (I don't know why others are ignored, I got no errors during indexation).

In this state, I think global.db should be as clean as possible. Still, 'Recently added' lists .png and .jpg images, PDF ebooks and the .epub file but there's no trace of HTML files there.

BTW, I'm willing to do any experiments you want, I'm a tidy guy and I almost always navigate in 'SD contents' mode, so for now I can happily destroy my *.db files.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #251
Mackx
Guru

I found the problem, html documents are not tagged, books without tag are not shown in the Recently Added, Recently Read views.
A workaround is to:
'Select' the document (not open, but select, works easiest with keys)
Via the Menu choose: Tools->Properties
You will notice that there is currently no tag attached, select any of the predefined tags or type (for example) 'web' in the entry-widget.
Press OK to apply the settings.
The document should show now in the Recent Added/Read view.

Note that once you added the new 'web'-tag, you can assign it to multiple documents using the Tools->Tags menu-entry. It works like Delete, first select the documents, then modify the tags. (See also dr1000hackx manual.)

On my todo list was an item to enhance the 'auto-tagging' functionality, it seems that I should give it higher priority... (or allow untagged documents in the views...)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #252
MrWarper
Zealot

Quote:
Note that once you added the new 'web'-tag, you can assign it to multiple documents using the Tools->Tags menu-entry. It works like Delete, first select the documents, then modify the tags. (See also dr1000hackx manual.)
OK, after setting the web tag for the first file, everything on the manual is clear.

Quote:
On my todo list was an item to enhance the 'auto-tagging' functionality, it seems that I should give it higher priority... (or allow untagged documents in the views...)
I thought only files with extensions associated with some application were shown. Isn't this exactly how it should be? That would leverage the need for better autotagging (don't get me wrong - that would be nice anyway).

BTW, I'm not clear on what's the current mechanism. Say I install the CBZ plugin. CBZ files are shown in the SD card, yet to my knowledge they're not tagged. Is this how 'recently read/added' views are different from current regular views?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #253
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
I thought only files with extensions associated with some application were shown. Isn't this exactly how it should be? That would leverage the need for better autotagging (don't get me wrong - that would be nice anyway).

BTW, I'm not clear on what's the current mechanism. Say I install the CBZ plugin. CBZ files are shown in the SD card, yet to my knowledge they're not tagged. Is this how 'recently read/added' views are different from current regular views?
There are different mechanism working here. A file needs to have a known extension to be added to the database (global.db). The recent added/opened views are extracts of the database. For some reason (possibly to exclude folders, but I need to check this) the sql-query for these recent-views require that the tag != empty.
Tagging is yet again another mechanism, when a new document is detected (during indexing) and it should be added to the database, some criteria (based on location and extension) are used to give the file a default tag.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #254
MrWarper
Zealot

Quote:
Tagging is yet again another mechanism, when a new document is detected (during indexing) and it should be added to the database, some criteria (based on location and extension) are used to give the file a default tag.
I think I understand it now. Actually, there's no need to add a new 'web' tag or anything. (HTML is my format of choice for text-based ebooks). Tagging HTML files with the 'book' tag will do, just as it should.

Now, perhaps it made sense not to tag HTML files as 'book' when iRex was planning to let DR users access the internet, etc. but does that still hold?
Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #255
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Now, perhaps it made sense not to tag HTML files as 'book' when iRex was planning to let DR users access the internet, etc. but does that still hold?
I see if I can think of a flexable solution both for people that want to tag all their html files and those that do not want to do this.