Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2023, 05:16 PM   #241
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I'm trying to dowload and install the new firmware, but am getting this error via Calibre:

HTTP Error 403: Forbidden

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.jobs", line 123, in do_check_firmware_update
resp = urlopen(update_data["UpgradeURL"])
File "urllib/request.py", line 216, in urlopen
File "urllib/request.py", line 525, in open
File "urllib/request.py", line 634, in http_response
File "urllib/request.py", line 563, in error
File "urllib/request.py", line 496, in _call_chain
File "urllib/request.py", line 643, in http_error_default
urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden

Not sure if this a Kobo or a Calibre issue...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:21 PM   #242
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I'm trying to dowload and install the new firmware, but am getting this error via Calibre:

Spoiler:
HTTP Error 403: Forbidden

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.py", line 104, in run
File "calibre_plugins.koboutilities.jobs", line 123, in do_check_firmware_update
resp = urlopen(update_data["UpgradeURL"])
File "urllib/request.py", line 216, in urlopen
File "urllib/request.py", line 525, in open
File "urllib/request.py", line 634, in http_response
File "urllib/request.py", line 563, in error
File "urllib/request.py", line 496, in _call_chain
File "urllib/request.py", line 643, in http_error_default
urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden

Not sure if this a Kobo or a Calibre issue...
This is an issue with changes that Kobo made in the download URLs for firmware. Use Patrick Gaskin's Kobo Firmware Downloads to download the firmware instead.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2023, 12:15 PM   #243
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Does anyone know when the database corruption first started? It happened again and I'm growing tired of it.
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:19 PM   #244
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
Does anyone know when the database corruption first started? It happened again and I'm growing tired of it.
This solved it for me but don't do it
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=.*

I decided to use KOReader exclusively a few weeks ago. In any case I never used the stock reader

Sent from my 22081212UG using Tapatalk

Last edited by jospalau; 11-01-2023 at 12:38 PM.
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:54 PM   #245
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
It occurred in early 2022 (4.31), but got fixed at some point. I think the reports of it reoccuring were 4.34-36 or somewhere along there.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2023, 03:42 PM   #246
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Both 4.34 and 4.35 seem to be unaffected. 4.36 was only for the Elipsa 2E, so 4.37 and 4.38 seem to be the culprits.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:47 PM   #247
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Both 4.34 and 4.35 seem to be unaffected. 4.36 was only for the Elipsa 2E, so 4.37 and 4.38 seem to be the culprits.
4.38 here on my Libra 2 and not a single database corruption nor the need to reboot. I go to the home screen and then plug the Kobo intot he computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #248
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's less likely to happen when connecting from the home screen. I've only seen it when either connecting from within a kepub or connecting immediately after importing multiple new books.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:54 PM   #249
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
It's less likely to happen when connecting from the home screen. I've only seen it when either connecting from within a kepub or connecting immediately after importing multiple new books.
Does it happen if you connect to the USB using NickelMenu so you can update the metadata? I've not had it happen doing this to update the metadata.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-02-2023 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:17 PM   #250
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does it happen if you connect to the USB using KOReader so you can update the metadata? I've not had it happen doing this to update the metadata.
I'd be surprised if it does, because I don't even use KOReader.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:08 PM   #251
Haggis70
Haggis70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi, Kobo glo
I'm having a bit of a strange, annoying, and slightly absurd problem. I've had many Kobo readers over the years, and currently have a Sage. This problem started in one of the recent firmware updates. I do not have any mods or patches, and have tried a factory reset. I've also tried different books and file types (EPUB, KEPUB). (Edit: did some testing, this started happening with v4.37.21533. v4.35.20400 seems fine.)

The problem is that when I hold my finger on the screen for an extended period of time (~2-5 minutes), the Kobo crashes and reboots. This also causes the Kobo to lose track of any pages I read during that session.

Why am I holding my finger on the screen for 5 minutes, you ask? Well, reading helps me fall asleep, so I often doze off holding the Kobo. I don't care if it reboots, but losing my place is getting annoying.

I can 100% recreate this problem with my Sage, but not with my wife's Clara 2E.

Anyone else notice this? Is there any fix or workaround, such as forcing the Kobo to record the current position after every page?

Last edited by Haggis70; 11-01-2023 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Provided more info on versions with issue.
Haggis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #252
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If it's a firmware bug introduced in 4.37, the only current solution would be to roll back to 4.35 and hope Kobo fixes it in 4.39.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:15 PM   #253
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.38.21908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Shutting off WiFi’s a great suggestion. I’ll implement that right away.

I don’t use calibre to manage my collections, so I do not believe I’ve run into that particular bug. (Interesting thread, though! )

Something’s off. That’s for sure. I just noticed it was completely dead and the battery bank connected to it was half drained. That’s enough energy to charge two iPads.

Wi-Fi was clearly the culprit. I charged to 100%, turned Wi-Fi off, and my Elipsa 1 has not crashed or had its battery drained since October 19. That’s two weeks, and I still have a 89% charge.

I purchase a lot of books, as well as use Kobo Plus and Overdrive, so syncing with Kobo’s servers and not depleting my battery is something I expect my Kobo ereaders to do. These last two firmware releases haven’t been so cooperative.

I’m going to backup my DB, then do a soft factory reset. That fixed Wi-Fi sync loop issues in the past. Obviously, that’s destructive to stats, so I’ll try to recreate whatever I can. Unlike my past Kobos, I can’t pop out a micro SD card from the Elipsa to make a full backup in order to restore it if things go awry.

Can you think of anything else I could do to isolate this issue? I’m curious to know why having a PDF or Notebook open would cause battery draining while Wi-Fi is turned on.

Last edited by Cootey; 11-02-2023 at 10:53 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:18 PM   #254
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'd be surprised if it does, because I don't even use KOReader.
My mistake. I meant NickelMenu. Do you use NickelMenu to connect to USB a second time to update the metadata without unplugging the USB cable?
Old 11-03-2023, 11:17 AM   #255
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My mistake. I meant NickelMenu. Do you use NickelMenu to connect to USB a second time to update the metadata without unplugging the USB cable?
Yes. My usual method is to plug in the cable, autoconnect to PC, let Calibre send the books. Then I disconnect and wait for the "importing..." screen to disappear and main menu to reappear then use NickelMenu to re-connect.

Unfortunately, I found that re-connecting immediately after the import process is more likely to result in "drive has an error" and subsequent database corruptions. (It doesn't happen when overwriting existing books--think fanfiction updates--only when the 'importing' screen pops up.)

So instead I just use NickelMenu to trigger a reboot, this ensures that the database is closed. If the USB is plugged in, it'll autoconnect to Calibre after startup.

Tags
firmware, firmware release