Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #241
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
It does, in Austrailia. But now Austrailia is a life + 70 country, so the books mention by VR are not going into the public domain in Austrailia for another 19-20 years. (Existing P.D. works were grandfathered. Therefore, the Mitchell estate can't sue, because the copyright loss was explicitly agreed to by treaty.)

In Canada, which is the last major life + 50 country, the legal threat is not that the works aren't PD in Canada, but there is nothing to stop, say Ralph Sir Edward - Texan, from downloading a copy of the work from Canada that is still in copyright in America (and by US edition, also under US copyright law, as well, even if it is originally from another country.) Whether a copyright holder in the US has the right to sue a Canadian provider, located in Canada, for providing electronic copies of works in the Canadian Public Domain, that can (and will) be downloaded in other countries where they are illegal, is not settled, as nobody has been willing to spend the money to find out. So US copyright owners can (and have) used the threat of litigation to stop the posting of some titles that are legal in Canada.
well, i must be denser than the average pinwheel because i sincerely still don't see where any ambiguity comes into play here. it seems quite straightforward to me.
- AA Milne died 50+ years ago.
- his works are therefore in the PD in Canada, under their current legislation.
- therefore any website based in canada could legally host on its servers the text of those works.
- what other people do with those texts (ie downloading them from texas, where they are still copyright) is not under the control of the website nor is it their responsibility, as long as they explicitly state a legal disclaimer about the pd state of the work and respect copyright by stating that visitors must verify the copyright laws in their country of residence before downloading.

the behavior you described (rich copyright holders with unlimited litigation ressources threatening a lawsuit in another country to prevent PD work from being put online under the pretext that they might be accessed by people in countries where the content is not PD) seems at best unmitigatedly immoral and unethical, at worst illegal (and if it's not illegal it bloody well should be). it is absolutely shocking the attitude of rich copyright holders towards their cashcow-- sorry, "intellectual property", and their blatant disregard for the actual meaning and intent of copyright and its legal expiration.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #242
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, i must be denser than the average pinwheel because i sincerely still don't see where any ambiguity comes into play here. it seems quite straightforward to me.
- AA Milne died 50+ years ago.
- his works are therefore in the PD in Canada, under their current legislation.
- therefore any website based in canada could legally host on its servers the text of those works.
- what other people do with those texts (ie downloading them from texas, where they are still copyright) is not under the control of the website nor is it their responsibility, as long as they explicitly state a legal disclaimer about the pd state of the work and respect copyright by stating that visitors must verify the copyright laws in their country of residence before downloading.

the behavior you described (rich copyright holders with unlimited litigation ressources threatening a lawsuit in another country to prevent PD work from being put online under the pretext that they might be accessed by people in countries where the content is not PD) seems at best unmitigatedly immoral and unethical, at worst illegal (and if it's not illegal it bloody well should be). it is absolutely shocking the attitude of rich copyright holders towards their cashcow-- sorry, "intellectual property", and their blatant disregard for the actual meaning and intent of copyright and its legal expiration.

Your Majesty, I quite agree. But I thought that you knew that part of the graduation ceremony for lawyers is the surgical removal of their morals and ethics (those that have any left, that is)....

The law is used in modern society as a club, and the only protection is to have another club-wielder to fight back for you, if you have the money. Otherwise, you'd be look over your shoulder (figuratively) and be ready to run at the drop of a hat. Makes me think of the Dick Cheney hunting accident. the liberals were horrified that they were using guns. The conservatives were horrified that the lawyer who was shot survived....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #243
ntgcmlfu
ntgcmlfu began at the beginning.

Device: N/a
Does anyone have "Yakuza Moon"??? I am desperate for this ebook, even when trying to find from a store, I still can't find it.
ntgcmlfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #244
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgcmlfu View Post
Does anyone have "Yakuza Moon"??? I am desperate for this ebook, even when trying to find from a store, I still can't find it.
This one? Available also in paperback for less....

http://www.amazon.com/Yakuza-Moon-Me...1116689&sr=1-1
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #245
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This forum section is ONLY for requesting out of copyright books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #246
ntgcmlfu

I am requesting for an online store when I can buy this book in ebook format (either out/in copyright). I could buy the paperback, but still prefer ebook.

Any help?

Thanks desertgrandma and HarryT, btw
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #247
ntgcmlfu

Does anyone also have this?

The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #248
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
I am requesting for an online store when I can buy this book in ebook format (either out/in copyright). I could buy the paperback, but still prefer ebook.
The book is undoubtedly still in copyright. I've had a quick look in the main ebook stores and done a websearch for
"yakuza moon" ebook
but failed to find a legal copy of the ebook.

This thread has become very long, so we can't expect people to read it all. However, its purpose is to allow members to request out-of-copyright or Creative Commons books. Other members may convert and upload them to our ebook section, which follows Canadian copyright laws.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #249
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:

If they do, then they won't be uploading it here because we respect Canadian copyright laws.
You can buy the ebook at Waterstone's
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6564501
and elsewhere.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #250
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Please read what I just posted.

THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR REQUESTING OUT-OF-COPYRIGHT BOOKS.

Please do NOT post requests for copyrighted books.

Thank you

[Moderator]
Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #251
ntgcmlfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If they do, then they won't be uploading it here because we respect Canadian copyright laws.
You can buy the ebook at Waterstone's
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...do?sku=6564501
and elsewhere.
Thanks Patricia,

Ebook version is more expensive than Hard-back, stick to Hardback then
Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #252
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I got for Christmas a book of Max Ernst, with three "surrealistic visual novels"... Searching for some information I found out he and Paul Éluard published two books (with text by the second and illustrations by the first) in 1922: "Le malheur des immortels", "Répétitions". These books would be PD in the US, and the text in Canada (Paul Éluard died in 1952, Max Ernst in 1976). The text is available in Wikilivres... what about the illustrations?

Last edited by Jellby; 01-17-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 AM   #253
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If Max Ernst died in 1976, then his work is not in the public domain anywhere, except for the usual exception that pre-1923 publications are in the public domain in the US only.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #254
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I know, that's why I ask only about these 1922 works.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #255
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

A 1922 work would be OK, in the US only.