Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #25231
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Stich...enjoy the heat.... Im on my seicomart wine.. G7 from Chile

5 USD for a bottle...not bad...

Right now, the temp in Osaka is 27. The temp in Chiang Mai is 26. Last year, all of July and August were hotter in the Kansai than in Chiang Mai. It's one of the reasons we chose this area. Besides, of course, that it's Paradise....

Another stroke of luck today. (They just keep coming and coming!) While having lunch in a food court, one of my old photography clients happened by, and we lunched together. I mentioned that I was going to start moving our stuff from the hotel to the condo tomorrow. He asked me how I was planning to do it, and then suggested a his Thai 'handyman' who was always looking for 'odd jobs' to make a little extra money. He has his own mini-van, and as all I need to move are a three huge suitcases, a big camera bag, guitar and cat, it's perfect.

I called him up, he agreed to pick me up at the hotel, load the van, drive me to the condo and bring the bags up to the apartment... for $5. Of course I'll give him more, but I really can't get over what is going on! I think that were I to fall head first into a sewer, I'd come up with a $50 bill stuck to the top of my head!

I'm going to go down the the hotel bar and treat myself to a farewell glass of Bombay Sapphire!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #25232
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Coke Zero in my cup.

Did a dry run on public transport to my new work place today. 30 minute walk to the railway station, 40 minute train journey and then 20 minute bus ride. Door-to-door time was 1h45. Not too bad.

By cutting the time waiting for the train by a bit, and cycling to the station, I could probably get that to 1h25m or perhaps even 1h20m. But I don't think I'll try that the first week.

First day is on Monday.

I did consider driving, but just the fuel cost will be more than the train/bus fare, even with only a weekly ticket.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #25233
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Good luck on the new job, pdurrant! On my last paying job the commute was about an hour, driving. I'd have been happy for a slightly longer commute on public transportation -- you can't read while you drive! (Honest! You can't! Every so often somebody tries -- it never ends well!)

Tea #1, in between massive thunderstorms.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #25234
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, take a couple of days away and everyone seems to be doing very well indeed. Stitchawl can't seem to have anything go wrong with this move, pdurrant is starting a new job, ProfCrash appears to be in Pu-Ehr heaven. And I need a major brake job on the S2000. Ah, well. Don't complain. At least it's happening when there is actually money in the bank and I'm billing 60 hr weeks.

In my cup: Organic Fancy Darjeeling, a decent second flush blend of India Darjeelings. A good choice when I need a bit of a pick-me-up in the afternoon.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #25235
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Celebrating our escape from the "killer" storms with a cold Guinness ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #25236
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
We just had the killer storms. I think I need a drink myself!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #25237
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The killer storms were kind of wussy here
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #25238
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They made up for it here!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #25239
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Water. I can't seem to quench my thirst these days.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #25240
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Send me a tanker truck and a big funnel -- I'll ship you all the water you need!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #25241
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
In fact, plain water ISN'T particularly thirst-quenching. Try some of the electrolyte replacement drinks (keep trying until you find one that actually tastes good. It may take some searching...) But they do a great job of getting into the system much more quickly than water, and 'stick to the ribs' much better.

I'm drinking 'Aquarius Zero' (which isn't really zero, it's 18 calories) which tastes better than regular 'Aquarius.'

St8itchawl
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #25242
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
In fact, plain water ISN'T particularly thirst-quenching. Try some of the electrolyte replacement drinks [...] they do a great job of getting into the system much more quickly than water, and 'stick to the ribs' much better.
Do you think this also applies in colder countries? I can certainly see it's necessary in hot countries to replace salt lost through sweat.

Anyway, iced water in my cup.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #25243
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Do you think this also applies in colder countries? I can certainly see it's necessary in hot countries to replace salt lost through sweat.

Anyway, iced water in my cup.
It's not so much a question of temperature as it is of physiology. In order for the body to take in liquids into the cell structure, it needs to be a certain percentage of 'salt.' The doctors call it 'physiologic saline solution.' If there isn't enough 'salt' (read:correct minerals. It's a mixture of several different salts; potassium, magnesium, sodium, etc.) the body will try to balance the liquid to make it a physiologic saline solution. This is why your fingers 'prune' when you've been in the swimming pool (fresh water) too long, or get slightly swollen when in the ocean (salt) too long.

So before the body can 'use' plain water (i.e. quench your thirst,) it needs to first add some salts to it that it leaches from the rest of your body, to convert it into physiologic saline solution. It leaches MORE salts in hot weather than cold, simply because you tend to drink more as well as lose more through sweat. But if you drink an ER-type sports drink, the body can instantly utilize it. It doesn't need to do any conversions. Unfortunately, 99.9% of these electrolyte replacement drinks taste vile... but they work.

Stitchawl
Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #25244
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

It's weird. I am very rarely thirsty. If I'm not mindful of it I'll go until late afternoon without having had anything to drink but a single cup of coffee early that morning.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #25245
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
http://www.rei.com/product/791943/nu...or-variety-box

My family has actually enjoyed drinking the Nunn's. They are easy to carry and use, taste decent, and are not filled with calories like gatorade.

http://www.rei.com/product/791943/nu...or-variety-box

Working on some Tea Farmers Gendeng Green Pu Erh.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?