Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #24046
Sam2016
Sam2016 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
The author has a Facebook page set up to introduce himself to the world. He was developing a Street Team and an email list. In exchange for a free download, he asked people to give him an honest opinion of his work and to spread the word about his debut on the scene for him. I believe that offer has expired already or I would have recommended it. I was introduced to his page because I also work in content services and I know how difficult it can be for a start-up individual's creativity to be recognized in this information inundated age. The book is legitimately good in my honest opinion. I don't believe its flagrant advertising to give an opinion on behalf of someone else. I apologize if your time was wasted, however, and I will be deactivating my account from this forum.
Sam2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #24047
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We do not allow "reviews in exchange for a free copy" here at MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #24048
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Enemy by K. Eason.

As I recall, this was one of the Freebies for the month. The book was good, but the delivery was a bit taxing at times-- the author breaks up sentences with internal dialogue which may or may not be the character's own thoughts. There is a reason for doing this, and somewhat necessary for the advancement of the plot, but it is no less jarring for all that, and it's something that may drive some readers away.

Too tired to decide on a new read at this moment...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #24049
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I just finished reading The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirsten. I wouldn't have discovered this book -- and the series that it kicks off -- except for the MobileRead Book Club. I'll hope over to the Book Club thread to talk about the book. Suffice to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and intend to read the rest of the series.

I've now moved on to Death of a Greedy Woman (originally titled Death of a Glutton), book 8 in M. C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth mystery series.

Last edited by Hampshire Nanny; 05-13-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #24050
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I just finished reading The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirsten. I wouldn't have discovered this book -- and the series that it kicks off -- except for the MobileRead Book Club. I'll hope over to the Book Club thread to talk about the book. Suffice to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and intend to read the rest of the series.
Oh, good. I love it when someone new discovers this series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2016, 05:17 AM   #24051
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next up (1967) - Traps Need Fresh Bait by Erle Stanley Gardner. Second last book in Cool and Lam series.
Finished Traps Need Fresh Bait. Next will be All Grass Isn't Green (1970), the last novel in this series by Erle Stanley Gardner.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #24052
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I'm on a Wodehouse binge right now, alternating between Jeeves and Blandings Castle. So far I've read What Ho, Jeeves, Something Fresh, Leave it to Psmith, and am currently on Joy in the Morning. I usually read these on break at work.

When I have more time I'm reading Iain M. Banks' Use of Weapons.

Also I'm reading/listening to Ron Chernow's Alexander Hamilton, though that's going slow because I'm listening more to the Hamilton cast album that the audiobook. The book itself is very readable/listenable. Hamilton was one of the more interesting of the founding fathers and this is the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to write the musical.
Finished Joy in the Morning and Carry On, Jeeves. Excellent, the usual Wodehouse wit and humor.
Reread Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock, the first of his Elric series which has some of his better fantasy. I unearthed my old paperback from the 70s.
About 1/3 of the way through Alexander Hamilton and halfway through Use of Weapons. (I usually don't have this many books going at once.)

Also I bought The High House by James Stoddard, one of my favorite fantasy novels. If you read the Ballantine classic fantasy books edited by Lin Carter in the 70s, this book is for you.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #24053
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've now moved on to Death of a Greedy Woman (originally titled Death of a Glutton), book 8 in M. C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth mystery series.
Reasonably short book, reads rather fast, and I finished reading it this morning. While I would have *LOVED* to grab the next Steerswoman book, I still need to complete reading the books I've borrowed from the library, so I am just over 1/2 way through The Last Colony by John Scalzi. It's #3 in the Old Man's War universe/series.

I have two other library books which need to be read before their return dates and then I'll be free to read anything that I want! I had a flurry of books become available that I had put reserves on, which took control of my reading order temporarily. After I read Lion in the Valley (Amelia Peabody mystery by Elizabeth Peters) and finish reading War Horse by Michael Morpurgo, I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing The Outskirter's Secret to continue with the Steerswoman series.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #24054
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I finished reading You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day, a memoir from the woman who created "The Guild" and co-star of "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog". If you're a gamer then you should know about the first, and the second is a hilarious short series of You-tube videos also starring Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick-Harris.

At any rate, Felicia is funny and inspirational in this book and I will definitely be rereading it at some point. Having to live with clinical depression starting from a young age (and half that time unmedicated), I am painfully aware of how crippling depression and anxiety can be and her story pushes me to try to do better in my own endeavours.

Next up, the other freebie of the month, Lethal Code by Thomas Waite.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #24055
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
At any rate, Felicia is funny and inspirational in this book and I will definitely be rereading it at some point. Having to live with clinical depression starting from a young age (and half that time unmedicated), I am painfully aware of how crippling depression and anxiety can be and her story pushes me to try to do better in my own endeavours.
I don't typically read a lot of non-fiction (and I've never been much of a gamer), but I really enjoyed Felicia's memoir as well.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #24056
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I'm on a Wodehouse binge right now, alternating between Jeeves and Blandings Castle. So far I've read What Ho, Jeeves, Something Fresh, Leave it to Psmith, and am currently on Joy in the Morning. I usually read these on break at work.
I've got a longer term goal of reading all of Wodehouse in more-or-less chronological order. I'm still reading the works that are in the public domain in the US; the more-or-less mostly reflects audiobooks which might be slightly out of chronology. While the works themselves are not up to the bar the Master established once he hit his stride, not only are they free, many of them have whipersync audio titles available for $2.99, once you "buy" the free book at Amazon.

I've acquired just about everything that's available as an ebook, so in a way I'm looking forward to the classic Jeeves and Blandings books, but I'll miss the cheap audiobooks.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #24057
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Finished Traps Need Fresh Bait. Next will be All Grass Isn't Green (1970), the last novel in this series by Erle Stanley Gardner.
Just finished All Grass Isn't Green (1970) by Erle Stanley Gardner. This was the last book of Bertha Cool - Donald Lam series, and probably the last novel written by him, published in 1970. The best-selling American writer of the 20th century died on March 11, 1970. According to Wikipedia bibliography, it appears that only two other novels of Perry Mason series viz., The Case of the Fenced-In Woman and The Case of the Postponed Murder were published posthumously, in 1972 and 1973 respectively. These novels should have been written by him earlier probably. I thoroughly enjoyed the 29 books of Cool and Lam series, and would highly recommend it to lovers of detective fiction.

Next up : Big Bang - The Origin of the Universe by Simon Singh. A non fiction, analytical book on physics and astronomy.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #24058
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Ring of Fire IV edited by Eric Flint. Another collection of stories in his 1632 universe by professional writers.

But the Virginia DeMarce one is, as usual, a confusing mess. I think it's that she's so familiar with the vast cast of characters that she's happy dotting about all over the place. But I just can't keep up and get lost.

The David Brin one is very good. I started out thinking that surely he's missed a bit of background that's now canon. But he hasn't.

I'm about half way through so far.
And all the stories were good, but I especially liked the final one in the volume by Eric Flint.

Next up: The Right to Arm Bears by Gordon R. Dickson. An old Baen purchase.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #24059
Hampshire Nanny
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've got a longer term goal of reading all of Wodehouse in more-or-less chronological order. I'm still reading the works that are in the public domain in the US; the more-or-less mostly reflects audiobooks which might be slightly out of chronology. While the works themselves are not up to the bar the Master established once he hit his stride, not only are they free, many of them have whipersync audio titles available for $2.99, once you "buy" the free book at Amazon.

I've acquired just about everything that's available as an ebook, so in a way I'm looking forward to the classic Jeeves and Blandings books, but I'll miss the cheap audiobooks.
Do you know that some of the Wodehouse stories/books are available in audio format through Librivox? Free is good.

Quote:
One of my favorites of all time. Love the sense of humor throughout the two novels.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #24060
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
And all the stories were good, but I especially liked the final one in the volume by Eric Flint.

Quote:
Do you know that some of the Wodehouse stories/books are available in audio format through Librivox? Free is good.

One of my favorites of all time. Love the sense of humor throughout the two novels.
Me too.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote