Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #226
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Save a tree.......Boycott toilet paper!
And use a pbook instead

(preferably one you already had and have replaced with an ebook)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #227
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Myth:

Only 6 Kindles can be registered to your Amazon account.

Truth:

Up to 6 Kindles may share content.

I believe the confusion comes from the section on the support page regarding Digital Rights Management.

Quote:
Digital Rights Management Issues

* Content from the Kindle Store: Most books and other non-subscription items you purchase from the Kindle store may be downloaded for your personal use on to up to six Kindles registered to your Amazon.com account. If you have exceeded your download limit, you must purchase an additional copy of the title. Subscription content can only be downloaded to one Kindle at a time, and only the seven most recent issues will be available for redownload in the Kindle Content Manager or from the Manage Your Kindle page.
After contacting Amazon Customer Service a couple of times, I received this response with clarification (bold added by me).

Quote:
I have reviewed our previous correspondence and apologize for any frustration you have felt thus far. There is no limit to the number of Kindles that can be registered to a single account. However you will only be able to view a Kindle book from up to 6 Kindles at any given time.

Most books come with a maximum of six licenses, but their are some books that may have less. The amount of licenses a book comes with is determined by the author or publisher who owns the right to the content.

I hope this information answered your question. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Thank you for choosing Kindle. Enjoy!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #228
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Looks great!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #229
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Myth:

Amazon will not let you use their gift certificates for Kindles or books.

Truth:

If you receive a GC, go to your Amazon account, click on "apply gift certificate", enter the number on the GC, and hit 'okay'

Any purchases, including Kindles or Kindle books, will be subtracted from the gift certificate balance first.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #230
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I would ask where the heck you live except I already know.

Yes, interest payments are falling somewhat, but the banks here seem to be "reluctant" to 'refinance' what they know are bad loans in the first place, even tho they did the loaning AND supposedly there are billions out there they have received! (takes deep breath)
Sorry, are you saying that US banks are not lowering mortgage rates in line with interest rate cuts? My own monthly mortgate payment has fallen by over $500 a month in the last year due to the dramatic lowering of interest rates; that's what I meant when I said that IF you are in work, and you have a mortgage, then falling interest rates should mean that you're much better off than you were.

Sorry - I know that this is way off-topic, but I'd be interested to know the reason why the same thing isn't happening to people in the US!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #231
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, are you saying that US banks are not lowering mortgage rates in line with interest rate cuts? My own monthly mortgate payment has fallen by over $500 a month in the last year due to the dramatic lowering of interest rates; that's what I meant when I said that IF you are in work, and you have a mortgage, then falling interest rates should mean that you're much better off than you were.

Sorry - I know that this is way off-topic, but I'd be interested to know the reason why the same thing isn't happening to people in the US!
Somebody's gotta pay for those bonuses! Actually, the yearly adjustment for interest rate will not be coming up for some time for lots of folks with ARM's.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #232
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

We have to refinance in order to get a lower rate (depending on the type of mortgage you have). My own Mortgage is at a "fixed" rate., so it never changes no matter how interest rates change. If rates are going up, having a fixed mortgage is good. If rates are going down, if you can qualify and the rates are low enough, it's best to refinance.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #233
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you - if rates are only being adjusted once a year, that would explain it. In the UK, the vast majority of people have what are called "variable rate" mortgages, where the rate changes month-on-month to follow the Bank of England's current interest rate, and, at the moment, that's at a historic low (the lowest for over 300 years).
Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #234
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
We have to refinance in order to get a lower rate (depending on the type of mortgage you have). My own Mortgage is at a "fixed" rate., so it never changes no matter how interest rates change. If rates are going up, having a fixed mortgage is good. If rates are going down, if you can qualify and the rates are low enough, it's best to refinance.
Thank you for explaining that - I didn't know that's the way it worked for you.

Now, back to talking about the Kindle!
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #235
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well, the answer is, it depends.

First, I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but many mortgages here are "fixed" rate. The rate is set at loan origination and does not change. See about re-fi below.

What you are talking about are ARM's (adjustable rate). Many people do get ARMs and they will adjust. But, usually the adjustment is done 1 time per year. Also, the payment doesn't always adjust with every rate adjustment. So, your rate could adjust every 6 months but your payment only adjusts once a year, or maybe even once every other year.

Also, the adjustment depends on what index the rate is tied to. Sometimes it is t-bills rather than prime lending. t-bill rates get better in a bad economy.

In addition to that, many people get an ARM expecting that their income will rise with the rate. If that doesn't happen you are in trouble.

Also, many ARM's have an intro rate... the first year rate is much lower than the normally indexed rate would be. So, even though the index rate is lower now, people payments still go up when they are out of the intro rate. Alot of mortage problems here were due to loans being approved at the intro rate, which isn't realistic.

The only other way to change the rate is to refinance. If a house is mortagaged to 95% of its value when it is bought and the value of the house goes down 30% or more... then you owe more than the house is worth, no one will refinance it for you.

So, no just because rates are lower now than your current mortgage may be doesn't mean you will be making a lower payment right now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #236
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, the answer is, it depends.

First, I'm not sure how it works in the UK, but many mortgages here are "fixed" rate. The rate is set at loan origination and does not change. See about re-fi below.
In the UK fixed rate mortgages tend to run for a fixed term, then revert to variable rate. But as HarryT said, many people have a variable rate anyway that follows the current interest rate.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #237
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
In the UK fixed rate mortgages tend to run for a fixed term, then revert to variable rate. But as HarryT said, many people have a variable rate anyway that follows the current interest rate.
Every mortgage here runs for a fixed term...as far as I know.

BOb
Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #238
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Every mortgage here runs for a fixed term...as far as I know.

BOb
My bad, didn't explain that at all well!

OK, in the UK, you borrow x amount for a period of, say 20-30 years. The default will be a variable rate mortgage. However, especially at the start, you may choose to have a fixed rate for a short period - say 3-5 years. Which is what I meant by fixed term
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #239
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
My bad, didn't explain that at all well!

OK, in the UK, you borrow x amount for a period of, say 20-30 years. The default will be a variable rate mortgage. However, especially at the start, you may choose to have a fixed rate for a short period - say 3-5 years. Which is what I meant by fixed term
Yes, that is similar to what I explained with the ARM adjustment terms. Most ARMs that I see advertised are what they call 1/2. Those are the CAP. The first number is how many times a year is can adjust and the second is how far is can adjust. So a 1/2 means it adjust every 1 year and can't adjust up more than 2% points.

We do have all types of mortgage products though. They are basically designed to find something that will meet the underwriting requierments. Basically, do all they can to write the loan. We have hybrids like you mentioned and we also have convertibles which is the opposed of what you said, where it is adjustable and at any time you can lock the current rate as a permanent fixed rate for the rest of the term.

The bottom line is, if people could get lower mortgage payments and stay in the same house, they would!

BOb
Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #240
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

'sigh. Newbies will be looking at this site for info........I'm just sayin'.....

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths