Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2023, 06:49 AM   #226
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
So if I'm updating collections or something needing a reconnection I wait till that flash before reconnecting the cable. I don't disconnect the cable after eject (desktop or Calibre on Linux) till I see the black importing screen.
Agree.... except I don't disconnect the cable at all. I use NickelMenu's force usb option.

Either way, I think it ignores the usb anyway if there is an import in progress.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 07:43 AM   #227
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.38.21908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I did a lot of notebook work today now that I could finally do it thanks to the firmware update, but after putting my Elipsa to sleep and setting it aside at 87%, I just picked it up half a day later and it was at 10%. Even exiting the journals and switching to My Books had not stopped the power leakage. I’ll try rebooting next time I exit Notebooks to see if that stops the power drain.

Anybody running an Elipsa v.1 seeing the same battery performance issues?

I’ve noticed that not only is my Elipsa battery drained from time to time after using notebooks, but also my Kobo stylus. I’ve had to change the batteries on the stylus twice now since this firmware dropped—very unusual behavior. It’s possible that both the Elipsa and the stylus batteries could be failing independently suddenly after the new firmware was installed, but it’s not likely.

I’ve taken to switching out to Home after doing notebook work, which seemed to fix the issue, but ten minutes ago despite the Kobo opening into Home when I woke it up, the battery was at 5%. A PDF was my last read item.

I wonder if the Elipsa is getting stuck while syncing. I know that was an issue for some people a year or two back. I ran into it on my Kobo Clara HD. Since it involves the stylus, it might involve Bluetooth instead, but this is just spitballing. I have noticed the Elipsa getting stuck on “Checking for updates…”. I’ll reboot the device when that happens, but it could be happening while asleep, thus draining the battery.

Here’s what I have done:
1. I’ve rebooted my Elipsa multiple times
2. I used More>Settings>Device information>Repair
3. I switch from “My Notebooks” to Home whenever I finish working on a notebook.

Not much. I’ve been sick since the end of August, so I haven’t had much energy to hone in on this. Before I perform a soft factory reset, I could use suggestions on identifying what is happening. This might have nothing to do at all with Notebooks or PDFs. Got any ideas?

Last edited by Cootey; 10-19-2023 at 07:57 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 09:03 AM   #228
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I'd disable the wifi for a few days and see if it recurs. If it does, it's probably not sync.

Do you use collections? If so, see this thread. where some of us found a pattern of collections occasionally causing sync to stall out.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 04:08 PM   #229
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.38.21908

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I'd disable the wifi for a few days and see if it recurs. If it does, it's probably not sync.

Do you use collections? If so, see this thread. where some of us found a pattern of collections occasionally causing sync to stall out.

Shutting off WiFi’s a great suggestion. I’ll implement that right away.

I don’t use calibre to manage my collections, so I do not believe I’ve run into that particular bug. (Interesting thread, though! )

Something’s off. That’s for sure. I just noticed it was completely dead and the battery bank connected to it was half drained. That’s enough energy to charge two iPads.

Last edited by Cootey; 10-19-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 05:20 PM   #230
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The database may be left open by the import process. Rebooting is the guaranteed method of closing it.
But if I've not had this problem, that means the database is not left open and I don't need to reboot.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 05:23 PM   #231
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a way of telling d the database is left open? If so, is there any way to do something with NickelMenu to let us check if the database is open?
Old 10-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #232
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a way of telling d the database is left open? If so, is there any way to do something with NickelMenu to let us check if the database is open?
Jon, please re-read several of my posts and pay attention. Perhaps a search for sqlite-wal and sqlite-shm in this thread for a start since the SQLite Write Ahead Logging and SQLite SHared Memory files will be removed when the database is updated and closed.

A few minutes perusing Temporary Files Used By SQLite and Write-Ahead Logging may also help.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 06:03 PM   #233
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, please re-read several of my posts and pay attention. Perhaps a search for sqlite-wal and sqlite-shm in this thread for a start since the SQLite Write Ahead Logging and SQLite SHared Memory files will be removed when the database is updated and closed.

A few minutes perusing Temporary Files Used By SQLite and Write-Ahead Logging may also help.
Is there a way to use NickelMenu to see if these files exist to show that the database is open?
Old 10-19-2023, 06:41 PM   #234
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there a way to use NickelMenu to see if these files exist to show that the database is open?
Yes, but it'll be open until after you connect, at which point you won't be able to see it anymore.

However, as I mentioned earlier, it should be possible to write another NickelHook mod which intercepts the usb connection and ensures the database is closed correctly first.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 06:31 AM   #235
Carmelocotonto
Connoisseur
Carmelocotonto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Clara HD, Onyxboox C67
What instruction would have to be given to close the Kobo database?
Would there be a problem in closing a database without knowing if it is open or closed?
Carmelocotonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 10:45 AM   #236
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's not only a matter of closing the database, but such a hook/script should also make certain that the user filesystem is unmounted. Database being open is ... not good, but I don't think by itself is really problem. (However, the Database being open does mean the filesystem is probably still mounted, and that's very bad.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 12:28 PM   #237
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's not only a matter of closing the database, but such a hook/script should also make certain that the user filesystem is unmounted.
Definitely.

Quote:
the Database being open does mean the filesystem is probably still mounted
Yeah, that's the main thing it would be intended to fix.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 05:42 PM   #238
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I came across an odd glitch I'm curious if anyone can replicate.

I deleted all my collections (sync was stalling up again) and ran a sync. However, one of the collections still showed up on the home, with some book covers.

When I clicked on it, it was an empty collection. There was no name ('Are you sure you want to delete the collection named "" from your account?') and had 0 books.

If I go to My Books > Collections, it doesn't appear. Only if I open the ghost collection from the home page.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-22-2023 at 05:45 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:02 AM   #239
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
I came across an odd glitch I'm curious if anyone can replicate.
Sounds like database corruption. I've seen stuff like that.

I think I caused it by attempting to repair a corrupted database. The result was a good database file with corrupt data in it, including ghost collections I couldn't delete and ghost books that I couldn't delete.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 05:24 AM   #240
paret
paret began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
I'm experiencing a weird bug in my Forma which I think it's related to this firmware update, because I don't remember this happening with 4.37, and certainly doesn't happen with the stock version to which the firmware is reverted when a manual factory reset is performed (dated from 2020, I haven't noted down the version for that one).

I have only experienced this with books that contain insert images as well as with manga. Keep in mind that I'm talking about books from the Kobo Store, not sideloaded. Sometimes, seemingly at random, when opening one of those books, all images that the book may contain are not displayed and its space is completely blank instead. If it's a novel with insert images, the text is displayed normally but the images do not appear, and if it is a comic book, then pages can be flipped but all of them have no content, they are blank. Sometimes this can be solved by returning to the menu and reopening the book, but a lot of times the problem does not go away until the e-reader is restarted.

I can't seem to find a way to reproduce this consistently, although it also commonly happens when switching a comic book from 1 page view to horizontal spread view. In this situations, when the e-reader is rotated, images stop being displayed and even rotating it back to vertical position does not solve the problem. Furthermore, when navigating books in this glitched state, sometimes the whole screen goes completely black and the e-reader freezes, requiring a force restart.

I don't think this is about a badly formatted book, since I have seen it happen with books with which I never had a problem before. Furthermore, after a clean factory reset and further upgrade to 4.38, just downloading just one book after syncing, the problem doesn't solve, so probably isn't database corruption.

Has anybody seen this happen on their Forma or other devices? It's quite annoying.
paret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release