Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #226
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Buh? I believe that something about your Perl install is well and truly b0rked.

I certainly don't have Zlib.pm at that location...
Thanks for the binaries. Hopefully they work...

Maybe I should remove the copy thing in the Makefile. It was a convenient way to ge the binaries in the path. is there a location that always exists that i can copy binaries to so it works for other people?

I have not seen the error message about missing files either. I guess that ithe problem is that Par-Packer-588 did not install properly.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #227
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I only tried mobi2html.exe on one file downloaded from here (the Sherlock Holmes omnibus), and it seemed to work.

Quote:
Maybe I should remove the copy thing in the Makefile. It was a convenient way to get the binaries in the path. is there a location that always exists that i can copy binaries to so it works for other people?
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\Sy stem32\Wbem

are always there, but I would not advise copying things there. %SystemRoot% is essentially C:\Windows on most systems. If you absolutely must copy things into the Path, make it a separate make target "install" depending on the "all" target, and copy things to C:\Perl\bin, the default location of ActiveState's Perl installation, which their installer also puts in the Path.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #228
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you absolutely must copy things into the Path, make it a separate make target "install" depending on the "all" target, and copy things to C:\Perl\bin, the default location of ActiveState's Perl installation, which their installer also puts in the Path.
I must be tired. Of course I can do a seperate target and I can run it manually when I need it. The Makefile is now changed so it works out of the box in the next release.

I also copied the binaries file to the web page.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #229
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now I get the following error...

Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/perl/site/lib C:/perl/lib .) at C:/perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 13.

Where do I get this?
If you show us all the output from when you run "nmake all" to the error message maybe somebody will have some idea about what can be wrong.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #230
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Maybe I should remove the copy thing in the Makefile. It was a convenient way to ge the binaries in the path. is there a location that always exists that i can copy binaries to so it works for other people?

I have not seen the error message about missing files either. I guess that ithe problem is that Par-Packer-588 did not install properly.
The problem is that Par-Packer is written for a different 5.8.8 build of ActivePerl. So the problem is that until things are sorted, it wont work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #231
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you show us all the output from when you run "nmake all" to the error message maybe somebody will have some idea about what can be wrong.
I believe the rest of the errors have to do with the Gzlib.pm not being where it should be. So what I posted I believe is what the error is that needs to be fixed.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #232
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The problem is that Par-Packer is written for a different 5.8.8 build of ActivePerl. So the problem is that until things are sorted, it wont work.
OK, I wrote previosly that you have to match versions carefully a thing I spent a lot of time finding out... It is also possible to install a new version of ActivePerl without uninstalling the old. The new one will get a new menu subentry and will be placed first in the path.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #233
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
If this is indeed the problem, it should be easily fixable: either you have the wrong Perl version or the wrong PAR-Packer version.

As for Perl: the most recent distribution (822) does not work, you need to download ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739 (either the zip or the msi, I recommend the latter) from the archive of old versions.

After you have uninstalled the previous Perl version, install this one, then re-install all the packages listed on the Mobiperl site.

As for the PAR-Packer, as I wrote previously, there are two versions of that displayed in the Perl Package Manager when you add the UWinnipeg repository and then search for PAR-Packer. You need PAR-Packer-588 (version 0.973). Uninstall all other versions, then install this one.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #234
mateo
Enthusiast
mateo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Zire71
I searched and couldn't find mention of this, but on the Kindle, using books converted with html2mobi, I sometimes get an error "unexpected error" that takes me back to my homepage. It's a minor inconvenience, because I can then go back and open up the book and it will work. I've only noticed the problem when opening a book or when going to the cover. It doesn't happen just by turning the pages. Like I said, it's a minor inconvenience but I thought I'd just let you know about it anyways.
mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #235
darkninja
darkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enough

Device: none
HuffDic Decompressor

I wrote a decompressor, mobihuff.py, for the new huffdic compressed files. Maybe this code can be incorporated into mobiperl?

Note. This program does not break any DRM encryption, so it's not illegal. It just decompresses files compressed with the new compression into a raw html file.

Thanks to Igor Skochinsky for the valuable assistance.

http://pastebin.com/m2360435c

Last edited by darkninja; 02-12-2008 at 12:42 PM.
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #236
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja View Post
I wrote a decompressor, mobihuff.py, for the new huffdic compressed files. Maybe this code can be incorporated into mobiperl?

Note. This program does not break any DRM encryption, so it's not illegal. It just decompresses files compressed with the new compression into a raw html file.
I am a bit worried about what status the code would have. Is translating to other languages enough to eliminate copyright concerns? Could I distribute the code I write under GPL3? To get a clean room implementaion the ideal thing would be for me to have a written description of the algorithm...
Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #237
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
If you absolutely must copy things into the Path, make it a separate make target "install" depending on the "all" target, and copy things to C:\Perl\bin, the default location of ActiveState's Perl installation, which their installer also puts in the Path.
Might want to check that exists, first. On my machine, the boot drive is normally D:, and Perl is in D:\Perl\Bin. (I dual booted Win2K and XP, and C: is the 2K drive.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #238
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

tompe did you know that mobi2html can strip the images out of a DRM Mobi eBook? I ran it on such by accident and I got an empty html file, but the images were fine.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #239
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
tompe did you know that mobi2html can strip the images out of a DRM Mobi eBook? I ran it on such by accident and I got an empty html file, but the images were fine.
Yes. The fixing of image size is based on this. Only the text is DRM:ed.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #240
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja View Post

Thanks to Igor Skochinsky for the valuable assistance.

http://pastebin.com/m2360435c
Produces empty output for the attached mobi file. Generated using mobigen -c2 -s0 on linux.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi SpaceEncyclopedia.mobi (359.5 KB, 13151 views)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils