Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #2236
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
IF the USB connector is failing, you are likely to get random disconnections which will most likely cause filesystem corruption on the sd card if you are trying to transfer data at the same time.

I don't think any errors you get in this situation tell you anything about the health of the sd card itself.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:23 PM   #2237
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Another thought of the Update ToC: A recent batch of fanfic updates had one of them change its title. however send books and update ToC are two different actions which both close the dialog. I had to do it twice.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2021, 09:09 PM   #2238
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Another thought of the Update ToC: A recent batch of fanfic updates had one of them change its title. however send books and update ToC are two different actions which both close the dialog. I had to do it twice.
That is by design. If you need to update the actual book, you cannot update the ToC until that book is on the device. Send the books, wait for the jobs to finish and then update the ToC.

Yes, if you have already updated some books, you could send the new one and then do the updates for those already on the device. But, there could be database contention and you will need to come back for the other books after they are on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:02 AM   #2239
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok that makes sense. Thankfully fanfic titles don't get changed too often so its not a common issue.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:43 AM   #2240
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

On an eInk device, is there any advantages to uploading black & white covers?
Advert
Old 05-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #2241
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Only that they should be smaller which means less space and possibly faster to load.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #2242
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Only that they should be smaller which means less space and possibly faster to load.
Doesn't sending black-and-white covers also mean you can take advantage of the PC-end Dithering, PNG and Letterbox config options which aim to avoid excessive "banding" which occurs (or should that be past tense ???) whenever the Kobo device decides to do its own dithering? I'm sure @NiLuJe could explain this better than I can.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #2243
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Doesn't sending black-and-white covers also mean you can take advantage of the PC-end Dithering, PNG and Letterbox config options which aim to avoid excessive "banding" which occurs (or should that be past tense ???) whenever the Kobo device decides to do its own dithering? I'm sure @NiLuJe could explain this better than I can.
Possibly. But, I've lost track of where things are on the device. I just let the device generate the covers.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #2244
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, B&W + dithering + PNG usually yields smaller and better looking covers.

(Enforcing letterboxing also helps prevent Nickel re-processing that file on display on *most* (but not all) devices).

The quality/banding aspect is less of an issue nowadays, as Mk. 7 devices do that on their own, and Nickel itself now does a semi-decent pass on its own on older devices. Results differ whether Nickel or RMSDK does it, though (i.e., KePub vs. ePub).

In any case, what calibre does will trounce what both of 'em attempt.

TL;DR: If you are actually letting Calibre generate the thumbnails, then, yeah, I wholeheartedly recommend B&W + dither + PNG + letterbox. (a.k.a., check all the things ;p).

Otherwise, as @davidfor said, don't let calibre do it *at all*.

(Of particular notice, a dithered JPG will look *terrible*, so, that combo is *bad*).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-04-2021 at 12:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:37 AM   #2245
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Has anybody used Kobo Utilities' Restore Bookmarks on Overdrive books loaded with ADE? I'll soon need to re-borrow a book that's close to expiring, and I think I'll have to re-load the file onto my Kobo. Just want to make sure that works.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #2246
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Has anybody used Kobo Utilities' Restore Bookmarks on Overdrive books loaded with ADE? I'll soon need to re-borrow a book that's close to expiring, and I think I'll have to re-load the file onto my Kobo. Just want to make sure that works.
There is no reason to think it won't work work. There are no differences between the locations for epubs with DRM or without DRM. The only problem would be if it wasn't the same edition and the structure of the book or ToC changed.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #2247
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There is no reason to think it won't work work. There are no differences between the locations for epubs with DRM or without DRM. The only problem would be if it wasn't the same edition and the structure of the book or ToC changed.
I've seen this happen a number of times.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:56 AM   #2248
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Question: Will restoring the reading position overwrite it on the device if the corresponding column is nulled out?
Old 05-22-2021, 06:17 AM   #2249
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Question: Will restoring the reading position overwrite it on the device if the corresponding column is nulled out?
The restore only sets the values that exist.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:18 AM   #2250
Shadowjack
Enthusiast
Shadowjack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, Kobo H2O, H2Ov2, Libra H2O
I am getting the following error/message in my comments field on my kobo when i look at the details for my books. "Plugboard template error name 'unichr' is not defined..."

I recently upgraded to the latest version of calibre (5.18) and plugins (for a long time I stayed with 4.23).

The only template i am using with the plugboard is
epub:KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED = ([{pubdate:|<div>Published: |</div>}{rating:rating_as_stars()|<div>Rating: |</div>}
{#pages:|<div>Page count: |} \ {#words:|Word count: |</div>}{tags:|<div>Tags: |
</div>}<hr/>{comments}] -> comments)

Thoughts?
Shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo, kobo utilities, kobo-utilities, plugins