Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #211
milhouse
milhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I've pretty much stopped turning mine off. I haven't noticed any difference in battery life, and I've yet to see any evidence of one of the buttons being pushed down for hours on end and doing whatever while it's been in my briefcase.

The only reason I've turned mine off in the past few weeks is to get the battery gauge to update.
The few times I have kept mine on, the pages turned while it was in my bag while I was walking. While a cover would certainly fix this problem, there is $30 more that I'd rather not spend.

Another great addition would be series titles and number organization. Nook doesn't have it by default but by using the user-created browser, you can get that feature. Really useful when you have a series of books but can't recall the correct order.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #212
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
reading order

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
... Really useful when you have a series of books but can't recall the correct order.
What I'm doing is going to author sites, finding out the proper book order in a series, then I create an .rtf document with the list, import into Calibre, edit the meta-data with the author info and then convert to epub and upload to my Kobo. Then if I'm out and about and don't know which book comes next, I can sort by author, find my reading order list and I'm good to go. Doesn't take too much time but it would definately be nice to organize this somehow on the device.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #213
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
What I'm doing is going to author sites, finding out the proper book order in a series, then I create an .rtf document with the list, import into Calibre, edit the meta-data with the author info and then convert to epub and upload to my Kobo. Then if I'm out and about and don't know which book comes next, I can sort by author, find my reading order list and I'm good to go. Doesn't take too much time but it would definately be nice to organize this somehow on the device.
That's actually not a half bad idea. Perhaps a little time consuming, especially when you update your books regularly, but still not bad at all.

I usually just have the book I am reading, and the next one in the series, on my Kobo. Although, it would be nice to keep all books in the series' that I am reading, on the device. I might just do the same. Thanks for the suggestion.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #214
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
What I do for series is edit the metadata in Calibre so that the series name is first, then the number of the book in the series and then the title. Under an alpha sort the series will be listed in order.

For ex:

LOTR 01 - Fellowship of the Ring
LOTR 02 - The Two Towers
LOTR 03 - The Return of the King

So that the whole title fits I tend to shorten series names.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #215
suiciety
suiciety began at the beginning.

Device: kobo and Eco Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
While a cover would certainly fix this problem, there is $30 more that I'd rather not spend.
I have a cover and this still happens in my laptop bag. I think the power button should be a key lock button like most other e-readers and an off button if held down.
suiciety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #216
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by suiciety View Post
I have a cover and this still happens in my laptop bag. I think the power button should be a key lock button like most other e-readers and an off button if held down.
This has been implemented in the upcoming update.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #217
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiciety View Post
That is a cool idea.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #218
Musketeer
Musketeer began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
That's good news! This is one of my main annoyances so far - the side keys are soft and exposed, so a key lock of some sort seems essential.
Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #219
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
SameerH, any word for those who have signed up as to when the beta will be out? Will the notification of it come via the email we used to sign up for the beta, or will we need to login via the kobo desktop to see it?
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #220
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
SameerH, any word for those who have signed up as to when the beta will be out? Will the notification of it come via the email we used to sign up for the beta, or will we need to login via the kobo desktop to see it?
Let me find out for you.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #221
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
On the topic of the beta, if there hasn't been any testing does this mean another delay, as the stated date was the week of the 28th June which is .....Next Week! (crunch time!)
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #222
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
The formatting of an ePub is dependant on the stylesheet its author applied when the ePub was created. If you strip the CSS stylesheet from the ePub, or better yet edit it to suit your taste, books can be formatted how you like them. There are various threads about how to do this on the forum.

I agree it would be a nice feature to be able to override certain CSS styles from a menu in the Kobo Reader (text-align, line-height, paragraph top/bottom margin and text-indent), but I'm not holding my breath. One option I think would be easy for them to implement would be for the kobo Reader to ignore CSS styles altogether.

I'm not sure I get how this works -- the creator being the source of the spacing. Kobo books consistently have the double-space between paragraphs, and lack an indent for new paragraphs. Everyone would need to be providing the same files to Kobo for this to be a style originating with the supplier.

Our company has books that were converted to ebook prior to our Kobo relationship, and we later provided Kobo with the exact same files for Kobo availability. The non-Kobo version has paragraphs properly formatted: no space between paragraphs, first line indented. The Kobo version has the extra space and no indent.

And if you look at the 100 preloads, they all have the Kobo formatting, but their source is Project Gutenberg, and the ebook files there don't have that formatting.

It seems to me that Kobo is setting these styles.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #223
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

That sounds about right to me. Also, since we can't access those files at all, there is no way to modify the spacing.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #224
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

It actually shouldn't even be a matter of what the reader can do to override it. The books shouldn't be formatted that way in the first place -- doing so overrides the creative, editorial, and design decisions that went into the book, and it's not Kobo's place to do that.

Space breaks serve a purpose -- they signal a change of scene, circumstance, time, etc. When space breaks are inserted before every paragraph, the original, intentional space breaks are negated. I've read a couple of ebooks where section breaks were lost because of this.

The default should be to retain proper formatting: no space breaks, indented first line.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #225
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Agreed. The last book I read jumped around constantly and not having proper breaks to separate the sections made it rather difficult to follow at times. I was lucky in that there were independent groups of people in the various story lines. Once I figured out who the section pertained to it wasn't too bad. However, imagine reading "Lost" as a novel, or something else where it is tough enough to follow as it is. Ugh! These breaks are critical to enjoying the book and should not be removed or altered by anyone.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote