Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #211
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you read any KePub between connecting tot he computer when you've seen that the database remains open? I don't have this problem and I also have not read any KePub with this firmware.
It doesn't matter if I read epub or kepub in my testing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 03:53 PM   #212
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I wonder is it kepub usage (even if not the last ebook) that causes it?
I only read KEPUB and have never had the problem.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2023, 03:55 PM   #213
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
Can confirm it also happens with Calibre & Fedora Linux, it's not limited to windows and must be something on the Kobo itself that f's up.
Given that the failure to close the database which would flush the .sqlite-wal and .sqlite-shm files must occur before the USB connection, you are correct that it is an issue on the Kobo. In my testing, it happened on MacOS Sonoma, Windows 11 x64 and SUSE Tumbleweed.

I have also found that forcing a reboot before connecting to the computer keeps the issue from showing up for me.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:27 PM   #214
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
This isn't necessarily dispositive, but I read mostly kepubs and haven't had this issue. They're sideloaded kepubs though, not Kobo-bought-and-synced books.

I also read almost exclusively kepubs. Both sideloaded and otherwise.

Sometimes I have issues, sometimes I don't.

There may be a relationship between when a kepub is closed and either time or activities after it is closed.that allows the database to close without a reboot.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:17 AM   #215
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I always tap "Back to My Books" from the reading menu and then connect the cable a few seconds later.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2023, 12:01 PM   #216
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I only read KEPUB and have never had the problem.
Same here!
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 06:43 AM   #217
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
So is this update safe to install? Has anyone noticed any issues on Libra 2?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:32 AM   #218
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
There's a slight risk of database corruption that can happen if you connect to the computer, due to the Kobo failing to close the database before exporting to USB. There's three main ways to reduce (hopefully prevent) this:

1. If you use Calibre, use the Kobo Utilities plugin to make a daily backup of the database. You should be doing this anyways. This way, even if it does break, you can restore the most recent backup.

2. Connect only from the home screen. Close any books, especially kepubs.

3. Reboot before connecting. This is overkill for most times, I only do it after importing new books to make sure the database isn't left open.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-18-2023 at 10:35 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:47 AM   #219
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
So is this update safe to install? Has anyone noticed any issues on Libra 2?
No issues. Just make sure you go to the home screen before plugging the Libra 2 into the computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:48 AM   #220
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
There's a slight risk of database corruption that can happen if you connect to the computer, due to the Kobo failing to close the database before exporting to USB. There's three main ways to reduce (hopefully prevent) this:

1. If you use Calibre, use the Kobo Utilities plugin to make a daily backup of the database. You should be doing this anyways. This way, even if it does break, you can restore the most recent backup.

2. Connect only from the home screen. Close any books, especially kepubs.

3. Reboot before connecting. This is overkill for most times, I only do it after importing new books to make sure the database isn't left open.
I have no need to reboot. I agree that's overkill and I don't think it's needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 11:50 AM   #221
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no need to reboot. I agree that's overkill and I don't think it's needed.
The database may be left open by the import process. Rebooting is the guaranteed method of closing it.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:28 PM   #222
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Quote:
The database may be left open by the import process. Rebooting is the guaranteed method of closing it.
In my testing on a Sage, the database is not left open after importing books (telnet and look for the .sqlite-wal and .sqlite-shm extensions). It does get left open after reading a book but not 100% of the time. The reboot takes seconds and saves me from having to restore the database.

As for Jon? Once again he is extrapolating his personal experience on one device to being a universal truth. Stating that other people can't be having issues because it doesn't happen to you is about as inane an attitude as suggesting that since you don't have gout, so no one can be suffering from gout.
Old 10-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #223
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
In my testing on a Sage, the database is not left open after importing books (telnet and look for the .sqlite-wal and .sqlite-shm extensions). It does get left open after reading a book but not 100% of the time. The reboot takes seconds and saves me from having to restore the database.
Interesting. I did get corruption by immediately re-connecting after an import, I hadn't opened any books though. Do you see anything when syncing to server? I noticed that importing will trigger a new sync.
Old 10-18-2023, 01:15 PM   #224
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Interesting. I did get corruption by immediately re-connecting after an import, I hadn't opened any books though. Do you see anything when syncing to server? I noticed that importing will trigger a new sync.
Syncing to the server seems to close the database in my limited testing. Basically, I reboot since it's faster than a manual sync on my Sage.
Old 10-19-2023, 04:57 AM   #225
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've noticed that straight after import (black screen closed), there is a variable delay before a flash of the Home/My Books screen. The new books are not immediately listed if it's showing "unread" or "all".

So if I'm updating collections or something needing a reconnection I wait till that flash before reconnecting the cable. I don't disconnect the cable after eject (desktop or Calibre on Linux) till I see the black importing screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release