Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #2176
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
As a child I remember my grandmother fixing chicken and rice and have always considered it a southern dish. It is prepared like chicken and dumplings except you use rice.
Apache

Oh, I've had chicken and rice growing up as a child, but my Mother always prepared the two together - cooked them together - and with added spices and some sort of creamy chicken broth/sauce poured into the mix.

Here in Peru, you'll find a plate heaped up and overflowing with with rice. On the side of the plate, you'll find the number one choice in meat - chicken. Almost invariably chicken.

Getting into seafood, however, is a different matter. Peruvian seafood dishes are fresh and delicious!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #2177
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Oh, I've had chicken and rice growing up as a child, but my Mother always prepared the two together - cooked them together - and with added spices and some sort of creamy chicken broth/sauce poured into the mix.

Here in Peru, you'll find a plate heaped up and overflowing with with rice. On the side of the plate, you'll find the number one choice in meat - chicken. Almost invariably chicken.

Getting into seafood, however, is a different matter. Peruvian seafood dishes are fresh and delicious!
I've heard that mixing in a little ayahuasca makes everything taste better?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 08:09 AM   #2178
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

I always thought the only way to make chicken and rice was to cook them together.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #2179
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I always thought the only way to make chicken and rice was to cook them together.
Apache

Not in Peru, my good man!
Old 05-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #2180
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I've heard that mixing in a little ayahuasca makes everything taste better?
I've never had it and it's too dangerous to experiment with (in my opinion).
Advert
Old 05-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #2181
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Canadian Cuisine - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WD2Z4D9

Baby Food Recipes - 99 cents
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SSSF1BZ/

The I Hate Kale Cookbook: 35 Recipes to Change Your Mind - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UT1V6SU

Momofuku Milk Bar: A Cookbook - $1.99
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0058Z4NQO
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #2182
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Canadian Cuisine - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WD2Z4D9
Speaking as a Canadian, this book sucks big time. Perhaps the introduction gives a gentle clue: Real Canadian Cooking is a mix of French, Canadian, and North American style cuisines from bacon to maple to poutine.

Did someone move Canada off the North American continent when I wasn't looking?

What is Canadian about "Canadian Cod Ceviche"? Though Food Network has the identical recipe as "Peruvian Ceviche". The Halifax Donair might qualify though again using ground lamb to follow the original recipe might have been better and leaving off the toppings section of the original recipe is not good. Canadian Bacon and vegetable soup? Hormel called and they want their "Creamy Canadian Bacon and Vegetable" soup recipe back. The Food Network would also like their "Roast Goose with Currant Kumquat Compote" recipe back. French Canadian Tourtiere with no ground pork? Blasphemer! Though again another recipe borrowed from the Food Network. Finally, let's look at Lynn Crawford's Venison with Sweet Potato Dauphinoise, again from the Food Network. Though in the Food Network version, they did manage to spell thyme correctly. To quote the ebook: "1 small handful of fresh time". What the heck, we all need a chuckle. Pork Ball Stew (Rabout de Boulettes?). Add the flour... sadly missing from the list of ingredients, "Herbs for seasoning"? What herbs?

Basically, I had a quick look through the recipes and virtually every recipe was copied from the Internet and then errors were added.

A poorly laid out book with measurements in Imperial rather than metric with some odd conversion errors where the original recipes used metric measurements.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #2183
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No Flour No Sugar Cookbook Vol. 2 - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JQ7QZF
Old 05-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #2184
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

Great Australian Barbecue Recipes - 99 cents
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Austral...dp/B006XNVOVM/
Old 05-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #2185
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

Foods of Genius: A series of simple food-related Inventions, brillant recipes of all kids, the balance of contrasts in the kitchen - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088114F17

(I suspect that "kids" should be "kinds." "Brillant?" Somebody needs a proofreader.)
Old 05-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #2186
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Foods of Genius: A series of simple food-related Inventions, brillant recipes of all kids, the balance of contrasts in the kitchen - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088114F17

(I suspect that "kids" should be "kinds." "Brillant?" Somebody needs a proofreader.)
I assumed it was another one of those Hansel and Gretel cookbooks...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #2187
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I assumed it was another one of those Hansel and Gretel cookbooks...
Perhaps a sequel to To Serve Man?
Old 05-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #2188
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps a sequel to To Serve Man?
I read the short story by Damon Knight before I ever saw the episode.

Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #2189
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I read the short story by Damon Knight before I ever saw the episode.

Apache
I was thinking about the cookbook. See To Serve Man: A Cookbook for People (free with KU) on Amazon CA otherwise $3.99 Cdn.

Sample recipe:

Spoiler:
Some argue that cowboy meat is too tough to be served any other way, especially since the spices tend to kill the taste of whatever the donor may have been smoking, drinking, or chewing. Others discount this argument, but agree that Chili is a practical, quick way to serve Man in well-disguised form.

— Meat of 1 reasonably well-muscled Cowboy, ground coarsely
— 15 pounds onions, chopped
— 10 cloves garlic, crushed
— 1/2 cup cooking oil
— 25 pounds pre-cooked kidney beans
— 25 pounds fresh tomatoes
— 2 oz. salt
— 6 to 12 oz. chili powder
— 2 oz. sugar
— 1/2 oz. pepper, freshly ground
— (Optional: 40 green bell peppers, coarsely chopped)
— (Optional: 3 tsp. paprika

On a frying grill or in a battery of skillets, brown onions, meat, and bell peppers (cut up)if used, for about 5 minutes per batch. Peel and quarter tomatoes. Put tomatoes, beans with their cooking water, and 2-1/2 gallons additional water in large kettle or wash boiler (or divide among several smaller ones). Add meat, onions, peppers if used, and seasonings. Simmer for 90 minutes; serve in bowls or with rice.

For 150.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tO sERVE mAN.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	179297  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-17-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #2190
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Love The Twilight Zone!
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote