Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #196
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As you post about the 50% discount, it's already over.
The 31st is tomorrow. 23 hours before the offer expires.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The 31st is tomorrow. 23 hours before the offer expires.
My mistake. I misread. Sorry,

Anyway, I did go to the site and I see nothing about a 50% discount. Not even in the cart do I see such.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #198
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My mistake. I misread. Sorry,

Anyway, I did go to the site and I see nothing about a 50% discount. Not even in the cart do I see such.
You have to enter the discount code.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #199
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
The Amazon.co.uk Kindle store prices seem the same.

However the email for a book bought just before midnight has a new item

After Order Grand Total: I see
Note: Customers located in the EU, Switzerland and Liechtenstein - please find your invoice here.

Which takes you to Your Account > Your Orders > Order Summary #Dnnnn with the VAT (still at 3%).

Last edited by Little.Egret; 01-01-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 AM   #200
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just bought a book. My email invoice shows the ex-VAT price, and clicking on the link shows me an invoice with the VAT inclusive price, and it is 20% VAT. (£3.49 book = £2.91 + £0.58 VAT)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #201
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smashwords just sent us an email telling us (authors/publishers) to decide whether to pass on the tax or eat it. It's 25 percent in some countries! It's opt in to all or opt out of all. I opted in. In the past, I was "paying" the tax, but there was also no choice in the matter.

It was also mentioned that if we didn't opt in, Amazon might note the lower price and match it--causing havoc and probably lost earnings.

No notice from Kobo or B&N so I'm still not certain how they are handling it. For my own site I hope no one admits they are from the UK when buying...
Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #202
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Smashwords just sent us an email telling us (authors/publishers) to decide whether to pass on the tax or eat it. It's 25 percent in some countries! It's opt in to all or opt out of all. I opted in. In the past, I was "paying" the tax, but there was also no choice in the matter.

It was also mentioned that if we didn't opt in, Amazon might note the lower price and match it--causing havoc and probably lost earnings.

No notice from Kobo or B&N so I'm still not certain how they are handling it. For my own site I hope no one admits they are from the UK when buying...
Kobo has been adding the taxes for a lot of time, and B&N only admits US customers...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #203
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Kobo has been adding the taxes for a lot of time, and B&N only admits US customers...
B&N has a UK branch. I opt into it via their uploading. But that is the only other country listed.

It's been my understanding that Kobo has been adding the taxes. A note would have been nice to clarify, but I'm flexible. I'll roll with the punches.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #204
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I went to buy an ebook yesterday that sells at $6.99 on all sites, this is roughly £4.34 on Amazon UK. From yesterday its now $6.99 + $1.40 Vat = $8.40 and on Amazon today it's now appeared and its £5.36. The reality of this will hit authors and readers hard. I am a prolific buyer and purchase on a whim but that will stop now.

I was looking at book three in a series, they are all $6.99 but now Amazon shows

£4.34 for book 1
£5.21 for book 2
£5.36 for book 3.

Last edited by Josieb1; 01-02-2015 at 04:08 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:18 AM   #205
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I went to buy an ebook yesterday that sells at $6.99 on all sites, this is roughly £4.34 on Amazon UK. From yesterday its now $6.99 + $1.40 Vat = $8.40 and on Amazon today it's now appeared and its £5.36. The reality of this will hit authors and readers hard. I am a prolific buyer and purchase on a whim but that will stop now.

I was looking at book three in a series, they are all $6.99 but now Amazon shows

£4.34 for book 1
£5.21 for book 2
£5.36 for book 3.

You need to talk to your government. A 20% VAT tax on eBooks is just insane.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:47 AM   #206
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
You need to talk to your government. A 20% VAT tax on eBooks is just insane.
Tell us about it. We would talk but they won't listen.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:48 AM   #207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It has little to do with our government. VAT rules are set by the EU, not national governments.

Our 20% VAT rate is in the mid-range. Some are lower, some are higher, but 20% is typical.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:12 AM   #208
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Kobo UK prices have also started to increase by 16.5%. For me this will most likely curtail my spending there. In addition to the UK 20% VAT, I have to add 7% state sales tax.

Add: Prices were sometimes lower in the UK especially during promos. Now I'm not so sure.

Last edited by Fbone; 01-02-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #209
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Kobo UK prices have also started to increase by 16.5%. For me this will most likely curtail my spending there. In addition to the UK 20% VAT, I have to add 7% state sales tax.

Add: Prices were sometimes lower in the UK especially during promos. Now I'm not so sure.
If you're buying from outside the EU, you shouldn't have to pay VAT at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:32 AM   #210
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're buying from outside the EU, you shouldn't have to pay VAT at all.
In order to browse and purchase from the UK store one must give a UK address in the payment detail page. Remember geo restrictions.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote