Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #196
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Speed of SD cards is based on write speed. this is intended for digital cameras that need a high speed to record the image quickly so you can take another picture. EBook readers read the cards and seldom write anything to a card, thus the speed of the card is not a significant factor.

Dale
I was worried about this myself, so you just saved me a ton of money from wasting it on faster cards.

Although I do want a good, reliable storage media, so I'll probably go with a decent brand.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #197
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The Kingston in my N800 is fairly speedy (8gb class4 SDHC). When I drop it into my S10e, I am able to pull files off at 25mb/s or more without a problem (not quite so fast as in the N800). Sandisk I've always had good luck with, if you don't get a counterfit (read if not bought from ebay). Transcend is a decent cheap brand, same with Adata. Pny I've never had issues with. As far as places to get from, newegg tends to have the best prices anymore, especially if you find something with no shipping.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #198
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer
imabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2, Kobo Glo, Nook SimpleTouch, iPad, iPhone…
Robertb,
I'm very interested in buying the new Pocket Pro, but I've got a few questions:

1. Many of the ebooks I have are pdf files containing scanned images of book pages. These files range in size from 5MB up to about 75MB. Will your device be able to handle such large pdf files? How long will it take to open such a file? How long to flip to the next/prev page? Will the zoom function work on image-based pdfs, and if so, will I be able to pan/scroll around on the zoomed page?

2. What color will the included case be? I've seen pictures on the Jinke site that show brown. I'd really prefer black.

3. Do you have photographs of the actual units in the various colors yet? I'm leaning towards a blue one, but I'd like to see the real thing (not a rendering).

Thanks!
imabuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #199
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by imabuddha View Post
Robertb,

1. Many of the ebooks I have are pdf files containing scanned images of book pages. These files range in size from 5MB up to about 75MB. Will your device be able to handle such large pdf files? How long will it take to open such a file? How long to flip to the next/prev page? Will the zoom function work on image-based pdfs, and if so, will I be able to pan/scroll around on the zoomed page?
The smaller PPro is not well suited for scanned-image PDFs. For those, the larger 8-11 inch devices will be much better. The ZOOM function basically is an ENLARGE FONT function, if memory serves.

Not sure how the device will handle LARGE files upwards of 75 MB. Someone else might can answer this.
Quote:

2. What color will the included case be? I've seen pictures on the Jinke site that show brown. I'd really prefer black.
It's a brown case with an ivory interior. Classy, but unfortunately no black.
Quote:
3. Do you have photographs of the actual units in the various colors yet? I'm leaning towards a blue one, but I'd like to see the real thing (not a rendering).
There are pics in this very thread, I believe, if you scroll back a few days.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #200
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer
imabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
The smaller PPro is not well suited for scanned-image PDFs. For those, the larger 8-11 inch devices will be much better. The ZOOM function basically is an ENLARGE FONT function, if memory serves.
Yes, but the only large screen devices available are pricey & too large to be worth carrying (vs. a laptop). I'm willing to deal with zoom & pan.

I'm hoping Robertb will confirm whether the unit can zoom images or not.

Most of the pdfs are of paperback sized books, so a 5" screen shouldn't be bad most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
There are pics in this very thread, I believe, if you scroll back a few days.
Hmm, link please? I did scan through much of this thread last night, but didn't see actual pictures of the other colors. The black looks ok, and the Dutch video of the bebook mini shows the white version. Still, I'd like to see what the blue actually looks like.
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #201
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Pictures and leather case

Quote:
Robertb,

Thanks!
Dear Imabuddha:

The real leather case is tan on the outside with a very light tan liner on the inside. It is crush-resistant and has a magnetic clasp. It is a quality case that really does not need an upgrade. This is NOT a cheapee.

I have attached pictures.

It will support pdf in very large file sizes.

It has the Epson controller and 400MHz processor. It is the fastest possible spec available at this time. I cannot go and buy a 75MB pdf file and hold a stop-watch. I am here to help... but this is a very small and growing smaller part of my job. There is not anything faster on the market, that I know of, then this match of components.

There are five levels of font increase with pdf files. This is not known as "zoom". It is better in my mind... it simply enlarges the font size. You also can choose font types and add additionals not already on the device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Black.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	34188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Maroon Lagoon.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	34189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Fuscia Pink.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	34190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Metallic Purple.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	34191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Slate Blue.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	34192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO white).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	34193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO What Comes in Box.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	34194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket PRO Group Color.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	34195  

Last edited by Robertb; 08-13-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #202
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I have attached pictures.

It will support pdf in very large file sizes.

It has the Epson controller and 400MHz processor. It is the fastest possible spec available at this time. I cannot go and buy a 75MB pdf file and hold a stop-watch. I am here to help... but this is a very small and growing smaller part of my job.

{ snip }

There are five levels of font increase with pdf files. This is not known as "zoom". It is better in my mind... it simply enlarges the font size.
Thanks for the quick reply! After seeing these pictures I'm leaning towards white or black.

Of course I don't expect you to buy a pdf to answer my question, I thought perhaps you (or a coworker) might have tested something similar.

If I understand the last part of your post correctly, the unit does not have the ability to show images in pdf files at different scales. Does it display images so that they fit on the screen, or will it only show a part of the image?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #203
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! After seeing these pictures I'm leaning towards white or black.

Of course I don't expect you to buy a pdf to answer my question, I thought perhaps you (or a coworker) might have tested something similar.

If I understand the last part of your post correctly, the unit does not have the ability to show images in pdf files at different scales. Does it display images so that they fit on the screen, or will it only show a part of the image?
This is interesting. At the lowest font setting the unit displays a full page of text in PDF mode. The image will be scaled to fit the page. The first time you hit the zoom button the image will be resized along with the text. It will typically grow to the size of the screen depending on the aspect ratio. As the zoom button gets pressed again the text size will grow but the image will not unless it was really small. An image the size of the text characters will grow at about the same rate as the text.

The cover image is different. It will zoom every time and get bigger than the screen but you can't pan it.

So the name zoom is more than just changing the text size in so far as images are concerned.

Note that a page that was built for the screen size originally (600x800 pixels) behaves a bit strange sometimes. At the smallest zoom it displays the page perfectly. The first zoom level may just rearrange the text while not changing its size and I have seen the image actually shrink a slight amount to remain within the side margins. subsequent zooms increase the text while the image stays, again unless it was really small to begin with.

This may a longer answer than you wanted but I hope it was clear.

This information is based on the EZ Reader Basic running the new firmware.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #204
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I can answer the pan/scroll part, based on the latest EZ Reader firmware (which should be very similar to the Pocket Pro firmware for PDF). The EZ Reader does not pan/scroll. Its menu mentions "zoom", but this is actually "reflow" which only works for text.
EDIT: I see that DaleDe has a more accurate description for mixed text and image pages.
The only modes you will have for full page image PDFs is full screen portrait and landscape lowest zoom level, which is essentially half a page at a time. I have scans of the screen on a single page vector graphic PDF in Scaling down PDF to work on BeBook, with the first 3 scans showing the portrait and landscape screens from this single PDF page.

The only current mobile Adobe Digital Editions implementation with an actual "zoom" (that works for images in a PDF) is the Sony PRS-700, which is about to be replaced by the functionally very similar PRS-600. Note that the screen refresh time makes conventional pan/scroll impractical.

If you can point to an example of the kind of PDF you are asking about, I can try it out for you on the EZ reader. Its processing and screen refresh times wil be longer, but the screen contents should be similar to the Pocket Pro.

Last edited by wallcraft; 08-13-2009 at 10:10 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #205
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer

Thumbs up

Quote:
This may a longer answer than you wanted but I hope it was clear.

This information is based on the EZ Reader Basic running the new firmware.
Thanks! This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. It does seem to be less than ideal for my intended usage though. Perhaps future firmware updates will improve in this regard.

Ideally I wish that Astak had a 30 money back guarantee, that way I could find out how well it actually worked for my files specifically.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #206
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
I just preordered mine today :whee:
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #207
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks! This is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. It does seem to be less than ideal for my intended usage though. Perhaps future firmware updates will improve in this regard.

Ideally I wish that Astak had a 30 money back guarantee, that way I could find out how well it actually worked for my files specifically.
While you can't see the Astak in a store you will be able to see the PRS-300. It will be carried by Target, Borders, Sony stores, Fry's and others. The behavior of ADE should be very nearly the same I would expect, so you could try it out. You can also get a rough idea on a pc by sizing the window appropriately although there are differences in the behavior. You have to use ADE.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #208
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
I just preordered mine today :whee:
Did you order a Slate Blue one?
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #209
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I can answer the pan/scroll part, based on the latest EZ Reader firmware (which should be very similar to the Pocket Pro firmware for PDF). The EZ Reader does not pan/scroll.

{ snip }

The only modes you will have for full page image PDFs is full screen portrait and landscape lowest zoom level, which is essentially half a page at a time. I have scans of the screen on a single page vector graphic PDF in Scaling down PDF to work on BeBook, with the first 3 scans showing the portrait and landscape screens from this single PDF page.
Thanks! Your experience is really helpful. So, in a sense, in landscape mode there is a limited kind of zoom & pan. (zoom to half-page, view top, view bottom) This might work for most of my files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you can point to an example of the kind of PDF you are asking about, I can try it out for you on the EZ reader. Its processing and screen refresh times wil be longer, but the screen contents should be similar to the Pocket Pro.
Here's an example: Go World Magazine Sample Issue

I understand the model you have is supposed to be slower than the 5" one, but this will give me a good of what to expect in the "worst case". Also, note that this magazine's page size is much larger than paperback. This sample book chapter is more representative of the page size of my files.

There are several books & many magazine issues from this company for the game of go. (http://www.kiseidodigital.com/)

Last edited by imabuddha; 08-13-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #210
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer

Quote:
While you can't see the Astak in a store you will be able to see the PRS-300. It will be carried by Target, Borders, Sony stores, Fry's and others.
Yes, that's a clear advantage Sony has. Amazon also has the 30 day trial period. However, I don't really want to buy from either of them.

The new Sony 300 has a good price, but lacks the sd card slot, which I really want to have. I also decided some years ago not to buy anything from them due to their declining quality & very poor treatment/lack of respect for their customers.

I don't want the kindle for several reasons:
  1. the small one doesn't support pdf (yes, I know they offer conversion)
  2. the dx is not very portable, and too expensive
  3. their ability & willingness to delete things from customer's devices without prior warning & consent
  4. no sd card slot
  5. big bezel & keyboard

I do admit that the new sony 300 is temping though...