Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #1936
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Rule of thumb for my stuff: you never need to uninstall anything to update .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #1937
Fridolf
Fridolf began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW1, PW2
What tools are included in USBNetwork? Are dd one of them or is that on the Kindle default?

I read an old post were the poster connected to his new device through the serial port, booted into the diagnostic system and then made backups of the the other partitions to the user storage. I have had an idea of doing just that but didn't think it was possible before USBNetwork was installed, since I thought dd was one of the tools it installs.
Fridolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #1938
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Fridolf: The full list is detailed in the README bundled in the package, but to answer your question directly: dd is from busybox on the Kindles, so no need to install anything .

You also don't necessarily need to use the serial port to boot into diags on JailBroken device, we have the rescue pack & CRP to do that.

You also don't necessarily need to actually backup the rootfs, since it's been shipped in full in update packages since FW 5.3.x

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-08-2015 at 10:45 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #1939
Fridolf
Fridolf began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Fridolf: The full list is detailed in the README bundled in the package, but to answer your question directly: dd is from busybox on the Kindles, so no need to install anything .

You also don't necessarily need to use the serial port to boot into diags on JailBroken device, we have the rescue pack & CRP to do that.

You also don't necessarily need to actually backup the rootfs, since it's been shipped in full in update packages since FW 5.3.x
Thank you! I had missed the README-file and just reda the README_FIRST. Since Netcat isn't in the list I guess both dd and Netcat are bundled. That's great.

Thanks for the rest of the information too. I just read up a little bit about the rescue pack. Very nice to see all these great tools that have been developed for the Kindle.
Fridolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #1940
GravesMD
GravesMD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
HELP!! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... I have a PW running FW 5.6.2.1, and I've attempted this severl times, but everytime I go to "Update Kindle" it is still gray! I just want to jailbreak this thing!
GravesMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #1941
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Please reread the first post, in particular the sections about
Quote:
IMPORTANT notice to FW >= 5.4.5 users:
and
Quote:
EVEN MORE IMPORTANT notice regarding FW >= 5.6.0:

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-19-2015 at 02:55 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #1942
GravesMD
GravesMD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Out of Luck?

So, what I gathered from the wordy descriptions, is that I'm out of luck? Is there a JB for this model at all?
GravesMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #1943
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can jailbreak if you are willing to do hardware modding -- i.e. peel off the case and run the jailbreak scripts over the serial port.

Resources:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254400
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257646
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247480
Old 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #1944
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravesMD View Post
So, what I gathered from the wordy descriptions, is that I'm out of luck? Is there a JB for this model at all?
As was already noted, you must physically modify this model to customize it. If you don't wish to make such modifications your choices are:

1) live with it as is in hopes that a way will be found to customize it later

2) sell it to someone who can live with its limitations, or return it for a refund if still possible, and look for a good used kindle on eBay or elsewhere that suits your desires.

Keep in mind if you follow option two you may need to wait a while for one that suits your desires at a price you are willing to pay. I have found I needed to wait a few weeks for a good K3* for $30 or less total cost a few months ago as an alternative to the new one I got as a Christmas present.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #1945
ohofke
ohofke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Good morning, guys.
Forgive my English, it is not my language!

I installed the jailbreak on my PPW2 and later gave it to my girlfriend. I returned to factory settings or I logged with the credentials of her profile. I do not remember, but the Kual and Koreader gone.

The Amazon updated Kindle to firmware 5.6.1.0.6. I lost my Jailbreak? I can reinstall the Kual?

Hugs!

Last edited by ohofke; 05-20-2015 at 01:04 AM.
ohofke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #1946
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohofke View Post
Good morning, guys.
Forgive my English, it is not my language!

I installed the jailbreak on my PPW2 and later gave it to my girlfriend. I returned to factory settings or I logged with the credentials of her profile. I do not remember, but the Kual and Koreader gone.

The Amazon updated Kindle to firmware 5.6.1.0.6. I lost my Jailbreak? I can reinstall the Kual?
Have you tried simply copying KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 from your computer to your PW2 documents folder and then opening it? Perhaps it was simply erased at some point and simply needs to be restored.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #1947
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

How recent was your jailbreak? Recent versions bundled the MKK as well, so restarting the Kindle would restore the ability to use custom kindlets.

Certain updates e.g. gandalf are needed for running things on fw5.6.x, but if you don't have that recent jailbreak version, you can try the hotfix linked in the OP.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-20-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #1948
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Moderator Notice

Do not double post, it is against the forum guidelines. Your post in the other thread has been deleted (and responses merged).
In the future, please post once, to whichever thread/forum you feel is most suitable to your needs.

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-20-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:43 AM   #1949
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I had a jailbreak, KUAL and SS hack installed.
Yesterday I connect my kindle to my wi-fi (it's always in airplane mode, but I needed to mail myself a document) and suddenly my SS hack doesn't work. I'm back to crappy amazon screensavers.
I check KUAL and the backdoor lock which is always locked, and it says UNLOCKED!!
Why? How? I have no idea. I know I locked it. How did it get unlocked??

My firmware is 5.6.2.1
KUAL is still installed.

How do I get my SS hack back? I tried setting it back in KUAL and restarting the device, but it's no go. What do I need to do?

EDIT: I had the newest jailbreak.

Last edited by Geralt; 05-21-2015 at 04:47 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #1950
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Did you get updated? If so, you will need to reinstall all hacks using MobileRead Package Installer.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch