Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #181
SonomaLass
SonomaLass began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Pie,

I tried your suggestion, but it said "sudo" was an invalid command.

epstuart,

I ran the repair permissions function and got a LONG list of hits, I guess you could call them. I can reproduce them here if it helps. But then I tried the pycrypto install again and got the same error as before, so the disk repair doesn't seem to have fixed whatever the problem is.

Any other suggestions? I really appreciate help with figuring this out,
SonomaLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #182
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaLass View Post
Pie,

epstuart,

I ran the repair permissions function and got a LONG list of hits, I guess you could call them. I can reproduce them here if it helps. But then I tried the pycrypto install again and got the same error as before, so the disk repair doesn't seem to have fixed whatever the problem is.

Maybe you need to install fink or reinstall sudo.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #183
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
Quote:
Pie,

epstuart,

SonomaLass,

One of my blog posts may help you. To find it, enter "iPhone: Reading Adobe/EPUB eBooks" into a Google search box. It should be the first hit that Google lists.

If you go to my blog post and scroll down to Step 3, I talk about installing PyCrypto on Windows and Mac platforms. I have a Mac that runs OS X 10.5.x Leopard, and the PyCrypto install procedure I describe in Step 3 of my blog post worked for me.

The key steps are:

(1) Obtain pycrypto-2.0.1.tar.gz using a link I give in my post and expand it into a pycrypto-2.0.1 folder on the Desktop.

(2) Obtain an AppleScript app called PyCrypto_2.0.1_Installer. It is what you get if you follow a second link in my post and download and expand PyCrypto_2.0.1_Installer.app.zip.

(3) Run PyCrypto_2.0.1_Installer, pointing it at the pycrypto-2.0.1 folder on the Desktop.

The result should be a successful PyCrypto install that will allow you to use the relevant Python scripts to decrypt Adobe EPUB and PDF e-books. You will know that your PyCrypto install was OK if you see, after running PyCrypto_2.0.1_Installer, the message "Writing /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/pycrypto-2.0.1-py2.5.egg-info" in the terminal window that opens automatically when you run the AppleScript.

I can't give you direct links to my blog post or the things that it links to because this forum does not permit direct links to methods of de-DRM'ing e-books.

Good luck!
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #184
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Maybe you need to install fink or reinstall sudo.
Sudo is about as imperative as a command gets on OSX. It's there.

A quick try would be an addendum to my above post, assuming the command is "make install."

"/usr/bin/sudo make install"

Remember, "make install" is just an example. The "/usr/bin/sudo" is the key.

You can also try the above instructions, as I'm betting those will work... I can't remember how I installed pycrypto, but since I just got a new MacBook Pro, I will be re-installing myself as well. I'll get back to you in a day or so.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #185
SonomaLass

epstewart,

Thanks! That install script was obviously what I needed. It works great now, at least for recent files. I have a few older (2008, not that old) PDFs that I still can only read using ADE on my laptop. Reading through comments at your blog and other places, I think something must have changed regarding my Adobe account during that time. I did change computers in that time (although I kept the same hard drive), and I know that has caused some authorization problems in other places.

Fortunately none of the files I can't open is very important. The most important thing is being able to open new PDFs easily, because those are usually advance review copies that I need to read right away.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #186
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Let me second the thanks to epstewart. It's nice to have an easy solution, and clear instructions to follow them with!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #187
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Let me second the thanks to epstewart. It's nice to have an easy solution, and clear instructions to follow them with!

-Pie
Thanks, Pie, for your expression of appreciation!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #188
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
epstewart,

Thanks! That install script was obviously what I needed. It works great now, at least for recent files. I have a few older (2008, not that old) PDFs that I still can only read using ADE on my laptop. Reading through comments at your blog and other places, I think something must have changed regarding my Adobe account during that time. I did change computers in that time (although I kept the same hard drive), and I know that has caused some authorization problems in other places.

Fortunately none of the files I can't open is very important. The most important thing is being able to open new PDFs easily, because those are usually advance review copies that I need to read right away.

Thanks so much for your help!!
SonomaLass,

I'm very glad to hear that you can read most of your Adobe PDFs now!

One possible workaround for the older ones has to do with the fact that an updated version of the Adobe Digital Editions application as of about Feb. 2010 changed the rules as far as encryption is concerned. It meant that a new adeptkey.der file was needed in order to decrypt newly purchased and downloaded ADE e-books. Older downloads continued to need the old adeptkey.der file for use with ineptepub and ineptpdf.

If you have no older adeptkey.der file — as would seem to be your situation — I am wondering whether a workaround might be to re-download the e-book using the latest ADE version. That re-downloaded e-book should be able to be unlocked using your current adeptkey.der file.

I say "should be able" because I have no way of testing what I'm suggesting to you. (Anyone else want to chime in here with some words of confirmation?)

Before you re-download anything, I think you ought to make a backup copy of your existing e-books, just in case something goes wrong. If you are not sure how to make a backup copy or how to re-download an e-book that you already have downloaded, then you can ask in this thread and I or someone else will supply an answer ...

Good luck with it!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #189
bohemian0607
bohemian0607 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I registered just to thank this thread for all the patient explanations and help. I am now able to read my Adobe Digital Editions books on my Kindle.

I wanted to mention that I followed all these steps on a Mac, and got stuck for a long time with a problem like this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=43

I was getting the error "This script requires PyCrypto, which must be installed separately. Read the top-of-script comment for details."

This is how I fixed it: I right clicked on the ineptpdf file and chose Open With> Python Launcher 2.6.1 - NOT the 2.7 launcher.

Everything worked perfectly after that. Thanks again!
bohemian0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #190
SonomaLass

More of the Same

Hey guys, it's me again! My hard drive died a sudden and painful death, and while I managed to use the old machine in slave drive mode long enough to rescue my ebook files, none of the DRM removing stuff works anymore. No surprise, but in trying to follow the steps, I have had no success. Specifically, I can't get Pycrypto to install on the current machine, an older Powerbook running Mac OS 10.5.8. It starts the build but ends with
"unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1"

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm posting the same query directly at epstewart's blog.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #191
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Versions from the "tools" no longer need PyCrypto on Macs. They have been modified to use OpenSSL instead.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #192
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Specifically, I can't get Pycrypto to install on the current machine, an older Powerbook running Mac OS 10.5.8. It starts the build but ends with "unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1"
I think the underlying problem is that you don't seem to have the XCode Developer Tools installed on the Powerbook?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #193
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Hey guys, it's me again! My hard drive died a sudden and painful death, and while I managed to use the old machine in slave drive mode long enough to rescue my ebook files, none of the DRM removing stuff works anymore. No surprise, but in trying to follow the steps, I have had no success. Specifically, I can't get Pycrypto to install on the current machine, an older Powerbook running Mac OS 10.5.8. It starts the build but ends with
"unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1"

As mentioned, there are now versions of the tools that don't require PyCypto. Try to look for the Calibre plugins, they seem to work fine mostly.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #194
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
[EDIT] I see you have got the new tools successfully.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-22-2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: found my post was outdated.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #195
SonomaLass

Thanks, all. The new tools version is awesome and so much easier to use! Although I will search for the Calibre plug-in, too.