Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #181
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face Errr........ 'scuse me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
While it may be a fact, it is an obvious one that need not be discussed for the umpteeth million time. Yeah, everyone knows that only Kindle users can buy ebooks from Amazon................
I rather hesitate to intrude here, but I would timorously suggest the above just " ain't necessarily so-o-o...no it ain't....."

Isn't K4PC for buying de kindle books and puttin them on the , well, PC - so you can read them on your... PC .

(Etc...)

Legally.

Allegedly...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #182
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Same here. It would be a less expensive way to pick up a different e-reader.
I was thinking about getting a new one. The one I have is has 9.7" screen and weighs accordingly, and while I think that I would prefer the big screen for reading in general, I feel reluctant to carry it around with me everywhere.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #183
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I got a K3 for travel because I find my DXG too bulky outside the house. The weight is not an issue as much as it is bulky and awkward on the subway when standing up. And it just is not as comfortable on an airplane.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #184
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got a K3 for travel because I find my DXG too bulky outside the house. The weight is not an issue as much as it is bulky and awkward on the subway when standing up. And it just is not as comfortable on an airplane.
I usually carry a big enough shoulder bag with me that the size doesn't matter, but it is easier to use with two hands rather than one, so a smaller device would be preferable. So all that is left is to decide on what to buy. The HP series would make me lean towards the new sony.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #185
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
HUH??? Where pray tell did you get this information from?

For a limited time the black Sony T1 will come with a coupon for a free download of the first Harry Potter book. So far that is all that has been announced by Sony. No idea where you've come up with this other stuff besides wishful thinking.

Any special edition reader I've seen Sony make has never come with the book preloaded. It's always been a coupon for the free download from the Sony store.
Yeah I should have said a free download. Either way the book is free.LOL. There was a rumor of a free case. But as time goes by it looks like it will just be the book for now.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #186
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 901hw View Post
Why cant the sony handle audible audiobooks? I have been listening to audiobooks on my 650. Anyway I have preordered the T1! Although there was no mention of the Harry Potter version, would have been interested in that.
The T1 is a competitor to the Kindle. Amazon owns Audible. Enough said.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I rather hesitate to intrude here, but I would timorously suggest the above just " ain't necessarily so-o-o...no it ain't....."

Isn't K4PC for buying de kindle books and puttin them on the , well, PC - so you can read them on your... PC .

(Etc...)

Legally.

Allegedly...
Nope. K4PC is for downloading Kindle books to be able to then use the tools to strip the DRM to then use Calibre to convert to ePub to read on an ePub capable reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #188
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
If the special edition ones would come with the whole series, I would probably get one.
Quote:
Same here. It would be a less expensive way to pick up a different e-reader.
I may be incorrect, but I believe that the whole series won't be available all at once as ebooks, but rather that the ebooks will be released at intervals. I could be wrong, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I would really like a red PRS-T1, but a Harry Potter cover would make me change my mind and get the black version!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #189
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I may be incorrect, but I believe that the whole series won't be available all at once as ebooks, but rather that the ebooks will be released at intervals. I could be wrong, though, so take that with a grain of salt.
You are wrong. All the Harry Potter ebooks will be available for purchase through the Pottermore site at once. The only thing that is coming in intervals is the site content for each book. All 7 books will be available for purchase right away from Pottermore in October.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #190
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
You are wrong. All the Harry Potter ebooks will be available for purchase through the Pottermore site at once. The only thing that is coming in intervals is the site content for each book. All 7 books will be available for purchase right away from Pottermore in October.
Thanks for clearing that up, I must have gotten the books mixed up with the site content.

Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #191
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope. K4PC is for downloading Kindle books to be able to then use the tools to strip the DRM to then use Calibre to convert to ePub to read on an ePub capable reader.
Why that's just crazy talk! Amazon creating a program and providing a
mechanism that would allow people to buy their products, and use them
on devices other than Kindles? Pretty soon you could have people sending
Amazon money for ebooks to use on all kinds of devices, cats laying down
with dogs, Global Warming, the end of days...! They have to put in place
some protections to stop people from purchasing their products, otherwise
woe is them. I know! They could just use a special format tied to their
encryption to make it harder on those despicable people who would buy
their ebooks then not use them on a Kindle. Not on all the books..No..
that would be too obvious, just on some here and there so they can't
tell that they are spending their money on these booby trapped ebooks.
Because, if they knew, they might not buy such books.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #192
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
They only said that ebooks would be available on sale come the October release. There have been no specifics on which books will be for sale. There are two basic theories; all of the potter related books going for sale at once, and the other is that each book gets rolled out for digital sale as the site gets updated for the next book. The Pottermore experience is set to be in phases. When things launch in October, the site's experience only includes things from Sorcerer's Stone, and sometime in "early 2012" will have things from Chamber of Secrets and so on.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #193
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Pottermore itself heavily implies that the ebooks and audiobooks will all be available at once, despite the site having staggered content release.
Quote:
At launch, the site allows visitors to experience and explore the first Harry Potter story, with subsequent stories unveiled over time.

Also, in October, the Pottermore Shop will open, where readers can exclusively purchase and download the digital audio books and, for the first time, the eBooks, with the complete series available in a range of popular language editions - and more languages to be added later.
As for the reader itself, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling HP covers and the like, but they may be waiting until the Pottermore Shop goes live to unveil them.

Last edited by Nahgem; 09-12-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: added thoughts
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #194
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
They only said that ebooks would be available on sale come the October release. There have been no specifics on which books will be for sale. There are two basic theories; all of the potter related books going for sale at once, and the other is that each book gets rolled out for digital sale as the site gets updated for the next book. The Pottermore experience is set to be in phases. When things launch in October, the site's experience only includes things from Sorcerer's Stone, and sometime in "early 2012" will have things from Chamber of Secrets and so on.

Well, you can believe what you want. Why would you feel they have to spell it out explicitly that all 7 books will be available in October? Isn't saying "the books" sufficient enough for you?

I know for a fact that all the books will be available for purchase at the same time in both e-format and audio. Don't get stuck on semantics. It says it in many places. Go read the Pottermore announcement. Go listen to JK Rowlings announcement on Youtube. Go to some of the Harry Potter fansites like Mugglenet.com or The-Leaky-Cauldron.org. Listen to some of the podcasts on the subject. It's all there. Repeatedly.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #195
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Well, you can believe what you want. Why would you feel they have to spell it out explicitly that all 7 books will be available in October? Isn't saying "the books" sufficient enough for you?
I agree. I don't see any reason for them to release the books one by one.