Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #181
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thanks.

Edit: Well that came to nothing.

First, the InkPad doesn't want to show me the applications folder, but then after I found a way to trick it into letting me install that app.

Then the app didn't seem to be able to see the cbr and cbz files.
It's confusing, but you need to put the app in two places to do two different things. Putting it in the applications/ folder makes it show up in the Applications tab. From there, launching it brings up a directory chooser that allows you to select folders with images in them. That's the way the program originally worked when written by the creator, Michail Polubisok. In that mode, it doesn't recognize CBR or CBZ files, since they aren't folders. For the second mode, you put the application into the system/bin directory, modify the system/config/extensions.cfg file, and then the Library tab becomes aware of the CBR and CBZ files and knows how to open them. I wish it was simpler to make it work, but I haven't thought of a way to make it so.

I've read here before that some people have difficulty finding some of these folders when connecting via USB from Windows, and that is because the system folder was automatically hidden by explorer (because of its name). You have to enable explorer to show hidden files to see them. It doesn't explain why the applications folder was hidden, though, unless that too is a "secret" name in explorer.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #182
starr974
Connoisseur
starr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad
Quote:
The InkPad is simply unusable for graphic novels.

Its support for PDFs is very adequate, but when I tried to read a 10MB graphic novel the InkPad was unbelievably slow. (And it doesn't support CBZ or CBR).

But PDF features include:
  • multiple zoom options
  • reflow
  • auto-crop margins

It's also somewhat faster at turning the page in a text PDF than in a graphics based PDF.

And what's happen if you rename .cbr to .rar?
Inkpad can read it?
starr974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #183
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
so far, i've got installed on my inkpad coolreader and mupdf, which both make it an almost perfect reader. the thing with mupdf is that i don't know how to go to a certain page. maybe someone could enlight me
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #184
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babadockia View Post
so far, i've got installed on my inkpad coolreader and mupdf, which both make it an almost perfect reader. the thing with mupdf is that i don't know how to go to a certain page. maybe someone could enlight me
Tap to get the menu, type the page number you want (it will appear in the upper left), and then press the 'V' button. The first post in the mupdf thread has some usage instructions, as well as an attachment for a Readme.txt file with more details.

Last edited by rkomar; 11-16-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #185
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Tap to get the menu, type the page number you want (it will appear in the upper left), and then press the 'V' button. The first post in the mupdf thread has some usage instructions, as well as an attachment for a Readme.txt file with more details.
nothing. but thank you
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #186
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
article on the support of ebooks formats with the built-in software by Nate

article on the support of ebooks formats with the built-in software by Nate : http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...ebook-formats/

(no video, no review of the hardware, no test of coolreader nor the mupdf based pdf reader ... I hope he is going to do that in a next article )

Last edited by pierro78; 11-18-2014 at 02:51 AM.
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #187
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierro78 View Post
article on the support of ebooks formats with the built-in software by Nate : http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...ebook-formats/

(no video, no review of the hardware, no test of coolreader nor the mupdf based pdf reader ... I hope he is going to do that in a next article )
CoolReader will at a minimum be mentioned in the section on apps. The mention might be nothing more than a rant on the pain of installing apps, but it will be mentioned.

That post was strictly the supported ebook formats, out of the box.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #188
starr974
Connoisseur
starr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enoughstarr974 will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad
Quote:
CoolReader will at a minimum be mentioned in the section on apps. The mention might be nothing more than a rant on the pain of installing apps, but it will be mentioned.

That post was strictly the supported ebook formats, out of the box.
Thanks Nate for your work!

And reading Mangas with CoolReader , is it possible?
starr974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #189
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr974 View Post
Thanks Nate for your work!

I can't actually get CoolReader to run; I made the mistake of upgrading to a 5.x firmware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #190
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by starr974 View Post
No, it is not. CoolReader mostly for FB2 and at some extent for EPUB, HTML, TXT etc. AFAIK pbimageviewer is the way to go with Mangas.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #191
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=13 someone says (in german) that the contrast is really bad (but I didn't understand if it's only when the light is on), and it looks like it's confirmed on http://www.lesen.net/wp-content/uplo...ed-595x295.jpg :

(BTW I've checked the contrast on the Kobo H2O at my local Fnac store yesterday and I can confirm that the contrast is really good)
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #192
jluc31
jluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: pocketbook inkpad
about pbimageviewer on Inkpad with fw5.
use the fwv5 zip file of the 1st post.
the app file must be stored both in /applications ans /system/bin folders.
the updated extensions.cfg file must be stored in /system/profiles/<profile-name>/config folder. The default <profile-name> is simply default.
the 840.cfg file must be stored in /system/share/pbiv folder.
then you can read cbr, cbz, ... both in landscape or portrait mode.

using applications tab, you can browse your pictures folders. I recommand using the NextPage and PreviousPage buttons to navigate both in folders and pictures.

Thank you rkomar.
Enjoy

Last edited by jluc31; 11-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.
jluc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #193
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluc31 View Post
about pbimageviewer on Inkpad with fw5.
use the fwv5 zip file of the 1st post.
the app file must be stored both in /applications ans /system/bin folders.
the updated extensions.cfg file must be stored in /system/profiles/<profile-name>/config folder. The default <profile-name> is simply default.
the 840.cfg file must be stored in /system/share/pbiv folder.
then you can read cbr, cbz, ... both in landscape or portrait mode.

using applications tab, you can browse your pictures folders. I recommand using the NextPage and PreviousPage buttons to navigate both in folders and pictures.

Thank you rkomar.
Enjoy
So, how is the experience on the 840? Does the screen feel large enough, or do you still wish it was bigger?

I've tried to order the device myself from the French website, but there is some kind of problem that stops the order, and they have not responded to email. Is there another vendor who will ship to North America?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #194
jluc31
jluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejluc31 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: pocketbook inkpad
Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
So, how is the experience on the 840? Does the screen feel large enough, or do you still wish it was bigger?
To read a standard comic (close to A4 format), coming from a scanned paper version, it is more confortable to rotate the display by 270° to increase the width and having the NEXT / PREV buttons bottom of the device.
In an other hand, I needed to setup both gamma (0.8) and contrast(+32) to compensate the color conversion and to have a correct reading experience.
8 colors seem enough to have a readable pictures (of course 24 is better).
I crope and set margins as minimal and set zoom as adapt to the page width in landscape mode.
Navigate by cases does not always work but may make reading more confortable (auto-detect and auto-scale).
the lightscreen is set around 25%.
And so the page change is better than 1 second.
I'm happy with these parameters.

Last edited by jluc31; 11-25-2014 at 01:52 AM.
jluc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #195
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluc31 View Post
8 colors seem enough to have a readable pictures (of course 24 is better).
24 bit depth only makes sense for the 801 model with the colour screen. For all other devices, 8 bit (grayscale) depth should be used. The 8 bit images take less memory, and are quicker to analyze for cropping and panel detection.

Quote:
Navigate by cases does not always work but may make reading more confortable (auto-detect and auto-scale).
Panel detection only works when each panel is separated within some light background. So, it works for some older style comics, but not for others.

For example, panel detection would work for this first image:

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

but it would not work for this second image:

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Quote:
And so the page change is better than 1s.
I don't understand "1s". But I'm glad that the program is working well on the device.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-23-2015 at 07:01 AM.