Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #181
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Yes, it’s broken in mine, too. There are fixes, but they don’t last. But what you can do when you want to switch orientation is open an app that only works in the other orientation. The switch is forced and it will stay that way until the next time you open a single orientation app in the opposite orientation. Or at least this works for me.
Thanks, that sounds reasonable. I'll try it.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #182
azt33
Connoisseur
azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azt33 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Oasis 3 as my primary ereader. I also have a Voyage, but I'm trying to sell that one, as I prefer to have one device.

I very very occasionally read on my iPad Pro as well, but I think that is about 1 book every 2 years or so
azt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #183
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I didn't count my Lenovo P10 tablet, which I use occasionally, and my Realme X2Pro phone, which I've been using a bit more often in the last week or two. I just ordered my Libra, for slightly less than the the normal price of a Clara here thanks to store credit. Looking forward to comparing it with my H2O2, and adjusting to the massive reduction in page turns, thanks to the 0.2 inch bigger screen size
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #184
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
I currently have three eReaders: My main long form reader is the Kobo Forma. I moved to Forma from the Kindle Oasis 2 based solely on the larger screen size. Larger print combined with eInk (plus wearing my reading glasses) is the optimum formula for combating eye fatigue in my old eyes. I still have my Oasis 2, but never use it. It is a great eReader and a nice compacts size for travel. The only reason I haven’t sold it is that Calibre requires an eReader ID for downloading Amazon books. I also have an iPad Pro 12.9”. I use this for PDFs and Technical books that include color. PDFs don’t look good on The Forma or the Oasis.
Thanks, Joe
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #185
BilK
BilK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
I started out reading on the old Kindle HD7. I then moved to reading on my Android tablet and phone. I picked up a pre-owned Nook for outside reading and used it until it died. I replaced it with a basic Kindle, and a couple years later, picked up a pre-owned Paperwhite which I currently use as my main reading device.

I probably wouldn't mind getting either a newer Paperwhite or a new basic Kindle (with the light), but can't justify spending the money since my current Paperwhite still works fine.
BilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #186
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Kobo Aura h2o2 as my main device, but I use my Mini for occasional reading... and tinkering with the OS
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #187
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I'm back to one e-ink reader now, my H2O2 has found a good home judging by the buyer's reaction, he said "I've been wanting this e-reader for a long time" - if he meant exactly that, then he's been wanting an H2O2, clearly a man of taste and discernment.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #188
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A9, Mira, Paperlike Colour
Hisense A5 (5"): Text only books, keep it in my pocket
Boox Nova 2 (8"): Manga
Boox Max 3 (13"): PDFs, Graphic Novels
Dasung HD-F: Work, hooked up to a MacBook

Seems a lot, but I read 2/3 books a week so think it's worth having optimised readers.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #189
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
Hisense A5 (5"): Text only books, keep it in my pocket
Boox Nova 2 (8"): Manga
Boox Max 3 (13"): PDFs, Graphic Novels
Dasung HD-F: Work, hooked up to a MacBook

Seems a lot, but I read 2/3 books a week so think it's worth having optimised readers.
Well equipped.

I have a 5" Kobo, the first iteration of Kobo H2O (6.8"), and a Pocketbook Inkpad 3 (7.8"), all in active use, and at the same time I am feeling a strong need for a Boox Max 3 or/and a Dasung.

Last edited by mobama; 09-19-2020 at 11:20 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #190
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
... I still have my Oasis 2, but never use it. It is a great eReader and a nice compacts size for travel. The only reason I haven’t sold it is that Calibre requires an eReader ID for downloading Amazon books. ...
Is there a reason you don't use Kindle for PC for Calibre downloading?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:49 PM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You need to experience the joy of reading with a Voyage.
Then there is the even more joy at reading with a 7" screen. These days, 6" seems a bit small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #192
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is there a reason you don't use Kindle for PC for Calibre downloading?
First you've to find a version that doesn't update and works on your laptop but is not so old that it won't register with Amazon. Then you have to re-download all the books.

It's simpler to keep the old Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #193
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
First you've to find a version that doesn't update and works on your laptop but is not so old that it won't register with Amazon. Then you have to re-download all the books.

I believe members of this forum can provide help in finding a version that "works".

Why would you need to re-download all the old books (assuming they are using Calibre for stripping DRM)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #194
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I recently bought a new laptop, and had no problem installing the old version of the K4PC app, because I kept the file. It installed just fine, and registered, just fine. You just have to remember to turn off the Auto-Update option in the preferences of the app.

I use version 1.17.0

I only download new purchases, as the older purchases are already in Calibre.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:26 AM   #195
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
I have many e-readers, mostly for research. My main reading device is my Likebook Mimas, but I would sometimes use the Muses, Kobo Clara HD, or Kindle 7th gen Paperwhite. I primarily read comics and graphic novels, but illustrated novels too, and sometimes, technical documents.
  1. Likebook Mimas (black)* (main) (+ official revised grey/black case) (originally a white model with the flawed/loose case, but Boyue service couldn't repair it after the pen digitiser on that died, so they sent me a new black one but with the existing warranty from the white one)
  2. Likebook Muses*^ (has shell (and back/home button) discolouration and occasional screen glitches and horizontal banding. It's missing the pen, but I use the pen from my Mimas)
  3. Kobo Clara HD* (+ official case in black)
  4. Kobo Glo HD^ (has dead pixels) (+ third-party "Forefront Cases" black case that has some wear)
  5. Kobo Aura (1) (slightly fuzzy display, but shell is in good condition) (+ third-party no-name case and pouch)
  6. Kobo Aura (2)*^ (Indigo Books affiliate) (has noticeable case damage, but display is a NOS replacement in fair condition with the bezel damaged in the same place as the original cracked display, a pattern at the top that resembles what I call moisture damage, and I believe the original owner of this never used it in a case)
  7. Kindle 7th gen Paperwhite*^ (jailbroken) (malfunctioning cover sensor that I bypassed and wrote an iFixit guide about) (+ third-party case in black that was made to look first-party)
  8. Kindle 7th gen basic* (heavily scratched as I believe the previous owner never used it in a case)

* research device
^ bought to write iFixit repair guides about

Both Kindles are ad-free models. I plan to do videos on some of them, and it might be hard for me to show all of them in a photo unless I fold back the case covers.

EDIT 2/12/20: all cases I have are in black, except for the Mimas which

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 12-02-2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Fixed typos, added additional details
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote