Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #19066
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Trying to finish Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark. It's only 432 pages, but in spots, especially in those sections where the author is trying to convince the reader of his rather remarkable assertion that "Our reality isn't just described by mathematics – it is mathematics," the book becomes rather uncomfortable heavily laden with mathematical terminology. Or at least it seems so to me; perhaps other more mathematically minded readers would find this book easier going.

This has been a very rewarding reading experience, even though I personally remain unconvinced not only of his main thesis, but the dangers inherent for the future of physics should what he calls the "Mathematical Universe Hypothesis" prove to be untrue, chief among which is the fact that if the universe isn't a mathematical object, then we are ultimately doomed to find a permanent roadblock down the road in our quest to understand reality.

This is a fascinating book, with side trips to alternate universes, doomsday scenarios, the need for scientists to use modern marketing methods to get their message out, and much more. I recommend this book, even though I don't find it's central argument convincing.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #19067
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
That's not the first time someone has made that argument. Samuel Johnson once refuted a similiar argument by Bishop Berkeley:

After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the nonexistence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it -- "I refute it*thus."Boswell: Life
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #19068
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the moon there when nobody looks?

Neither Berkeley nor Tegmark deny the existence of the physical universe. What Berkeley taught was that objects only exist when there is a mind to perceive them. So do the objects that were in a room when we last looked exist even though we are not there in the room to perceive them? Of course, Berkeley would answer. God is there to perceive them.

Tegmark's argument does not depend on any divine beings, and is a bit different. He argues that rather than mathematical objects existing within reality, reality exists within mathematical objects. He espouses what appears to me to be a subtle variant of Neo-Platonism, in that he thinks all fully-defined mathematical objects have a reality and that different universes, not all of which are conducive to life, reside with the various mathematical structures. At least, that's how I read him.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-26-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Add title.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #19069
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Currently reading The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #19070
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Murder is Easy" by Agatha Christie. This was her 33rd book, originally published in 1939.

Luke Fitzwilliam, a retired colonial police officer, happens to share a London bound train carriage with Lavinia Pinkerton, an elderly lady who informs Luke that she is travelling to Scotland Yard to report a serial killer, responsible for the deaths of three people. He assumes that she is a batty old lady, but, when he reads both of her death and that of the man she feared would be the next victim of the killer, he decides to investigate the matter himself.

Inspector Battle, who appeared in earlier Christie novels such as "The Mystery of Chimneys" and "The Seven Dials Mystery", appears in a cameo role in this book, but plays no part in solving the crime.

I really enjoyed this one. Interesting characters and a real "twist in the tail" in the solution. Highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #19071
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Asimov's SF, March/April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Looking good so far. An interesting story with a (disguised) Doc Savage theme, and a lovely alternate history story where the alternate history just comes out as the story (which is not concerned with the alternate history directly) reveals itself.

But I've also started another book at the same time: Resurgence by Charles Sheffield. It's my earliest purchase in my TBR pile (from March 2004), and the last in a series, following on from Transvergence which I read last year. Also looking good.

Finished the Asimov's. It was good, but I was a bit surprised to find a fantasy story in the middle of it. It was quite a good fantasy story, but more appropriate for F&SF than Asimov's.

Continuing with Resurgence, which I'm enjoying, although I'm beginning to think I have read this one after all.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-28-2014 at 03:14 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #19072
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I finished the Seventh Safehold novel, Like A Mighty Army, a couple of days ago. It seems like David Weber is back on track with this book. Lots of action and no info dumps. I rate it 4.5 out of 5. Be aware it is still a long novel at over 700 pages.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #19073
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I finished the Seventh Safehold novel, Like A Mighty Army, a couple of days ago. It seems like David Weber is back on track with this book. Lots of action and no info dumps. I rate it 4.5 out of 5. Be aware it is still a long novel at over 700 pages.
Apache
That's good news. I shall look forward to it next year, once the paperback's out and the price drops. Unless it comes up in a Kindle Daily Deal or something....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #19074
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Apache
I enjoyed it too. At one time there was a statement posted on his website somewhere that the Safehold series would be comprised of eight novels. Reading this book, it doesn't seem likely that it could be wrapped up that soon, and I can no longer find the original notice (I think it was made by his wife, though I'm not positive.)

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #19075
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apache
Good to know that it's not too loaded with back story. I'm planning on spending the weekend reading it.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #19076
bfisher
Wizard

Just finished "The Undercover Economist Strikes Back" by Tim Harford. Last summer I read his "The Undercover Economist", which was great fun for an ecomomics book . This time the focus was on macroeconomics, quite a lot grimmer, but very informative.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #19077
bfisher
Wizard

Currently reading "The Great Rivalry",( Dizzy vs W.E.), by Dick Leonard. A short book about the rival careers of two political giants of the late Victorian era.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #19078
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Now I'm reading another Perry Mason book, The Case of the Howling Dog by Erle Stanley Gardner. After Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark, I felt like something quick and light.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #19079
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm curious, Tom. How do these hold up? I haven't read any of them in 50+ years, but I remember reading virtually all of them when I was young, since my Mom read them as quickly as they came out and the Library had them in. And at that age, I read voraciously.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #19080
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm curious, Tom. How do these hold up? I haven't read any of them in 50+ years, but I remember reading virtually all of them when I was young, since my Mom read them as quickly as they came out and the Library had them in. And at that age, I read voraciously.
I still love them; especially the early ones, where Mason is a bit of a rogue himself. But as much as I loved Raymond Burr's Mason, I couldn't picture Burr hitting anyone, though, or even threatening to.

There are a few uncomfortable moments occasionally where the characters act in ways that society has outgrown or say things that make us wince, especially in those early books, but if you can take those as being reflective of the times in which they were written, I think you'd find the stories very enjoyable. Gotta' love a lawyer who carries his own set of skeleton keys and divides his time between fighting disbarment procedures and pulling sneaky stunts for his clients that get him into even more hot water.