Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #166
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Sayer works weren't hosted at PG Australia. Her work is not yet out of copyright in Australia. A few years back Australia switched from a death+50 to death+70. The new rule applies to deaths after 1954.
oh, arg... i thought australia was death+50. and Sayers died in 1957... if only they had changed the law 3 years later...

so where is it death+50 then ? canada, right ? is there a pg canada ?? or some equivalent site in a country under the death+50 rule ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:38 AM   #167
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
is there any way of making a request to PG Australia ? or maybe just to let them know we're interested ? i have no idea how they choose which books to do but maybe they're interested to know what the reading public likes... or what we are eagerly awaiting...
The chap who runs the PG Australia site is a good guy and quite responsive. But he's simply the webmaster for the site. Books hosted on PG Australia are transcribed and uploaded by volunteers, and he's at the mercy of what the contributors choose to do.

His particular interest is promoting works of Australian history and literature by Australian writers. The selection of works in the public domain in Oz but not here gets the most interest from us, but is not the focus of the site.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #168
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
oh, arg... i thought australia was death+50. and Sayers died in 1957... if only they had changed the law 3 years later...

so where is it death+50 then ? canada, right ? is there a pg canada ?? or some equivalent site in a country under the death+50 rule ?
Do not forget, please, that you need to consider the copyright law in YOUR country too. You live in France, where the copyright law is "life + 70". You are committing an offence if you personally download a book which is still in copyright in your country. You need to decide for yourself whether or not this is an issue for you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #169
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do not forget, please, that you need to consider the copyright law in YOUR country too. You live in France, where the copyright law is "life + 70". You are committing an offence if you personally download a book which is still in copyright in your country. You need to decide for yourself whether or not this is an issue for you.
That is a good point HarryT, however in the case of Dorothy Sayers specifically i have already bought her books in french and also one or two in english, and given that the work is now in the public domain (even if not in France...) i feel that getting PD versions in the original english can be equated with format shifting (which i think is a completely fair use, as long as it is for personal use only) and i would not feel that i was being terribly immoral in downloading them.

i don't want to launch a debate about copyright laws, but i will add that i like to read a lot of classics and old books which can often be very hard to find because they are out of print and / or there is not a big demand for them (even used, especially in reasonable condition, or else only as a "collector's item" which is very expensive, especially since i don't want to keep a book wrapped up in tissue paper, i want to read it. and if i buy a used "collector's" book, it does not benefit in any way the author, only the person who is selling it and who had no hand in making it. that seems more of capitalistic interest than cultural, and capitalism and culture tend to make very poor bedfellows) . there have been many times when i have looked for a book that i want to read and been unable to buy it anywhere for these reasons, even though i was perfectly ready to pay for it. in these cases, if could find the book in the public domain (even if it's technically not in PD in France yet) i think i would be perfectly justified in downloading it and i would not hesitate.

i buy a lot of books and i feel that authors absolutely should be remunerated for their hard work, which i appreciate (the same goes for musicians and all artists ; i want to show my thanks to them for making something that i enjoy and i the obvious way to do this is to pay for it ; it goes beyond a legal question for me and is more a question of respect or ethics). however if the author has been dead for decades *and* i *cannot* buy the work because the publisher doesn't make it available, i think that the survival of cultural heritage becomes more important than jurisdiction.

i read somewhere that the Disney estate is preventing *any* new works from falling into the public domain in the united states because they don't want mickey mouse to fall into the public domain, so the rules continue to be extended every time that is in danger of happening. this seems to me a clear abuse of the concept and dangerous to the survival of other cultural artifacts which are affected by it (especially since, let's face it, Walt Disney is dead and his heirs are surely rich enough already).

public domain should be a compromise between rewarding the creators of works and making cultural heritage available to the population, for the survival of the precise things the laws supposedly want to protect. if a book is not in PD but is out of print and impossible or very very difficult to find, the end result can easily be that it becomes completely forgotten and lost to future generations.

preserving cultural works and allowing them to be transmitted to future generations seems to me to be just as important and for the same reasons of respect to the creator of them as monetary compensation when the author can benefit from it.

hm, now that i have wandered far far off topic i think i will end this post ! sorry for the long digression...
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #170
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't disagree with anything that you say, zelda. Just trying to provide information that some may have been unaware of.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #171
zelda_pinwheel

Yes, of course, it's an important point to make. i think i just wanted to be clear that i'm not downloading willy-nilly without consideration !
Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #172
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yes, of course, it's an important point to make. i think i just wanted to be clear that i'm not downloading willy-nilly without consideration !
Actually I believe Will-nilly is in the public domain
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #173
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually I believe Will-nilly is in the public domain
hee ! that's a relief !!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #174
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Mary Roberts Rinehart is good

As for the original question, what mystery authors can be converted: I just finished reading Mary Roberts Rinehart's "The Man In Lower Ten" and I've also downloaded "The Circular Staircase". Her stuff is GREAT --- I remember her name from my high-school reading. Surely there must be more of it that can be found?

She wrote in the 19-ought-something time period, so it should be fair game.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #175
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
As for the original question, what mystery authors can be converted: I just finished reading Mary Roberts Rinehart's "The Man In Lower Ten" and I've also downloaded "The Circular Staircase". Her stuff is GREAT --- I remember her name from my high-school reading. Surely there must be more of it that can be found?
Well, yes, a bit:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/r#a183

And if you'd like already converted:

http://manybooks.net/authors/rinehart.html

http://www.munseys.com/detail/mode/author/rinehart
______
Dennis
Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #176
zelda_pinwheel

i will take a look at that too ; i don't know Rinehart and i am always happy to find new (old) mystery writers...

from wikipedia :
Quote:
Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was a prolific author often called the American Agatha Christie. "Dorothy B. Hughes, crime critic and novelist, says she 'has been and continues to be' the most important American woman mystery writer."[1] She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase herself, and also considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing.
how could i have missed her for so long ???

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 02-08-2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: doing research...
Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #177
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I believe that HarryT has already uploaded some Mary Rinehart here.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #178
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I believe that HarryT has already uploaded some Mary Rinehart here.
Yes.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sea...earchid=561543
______
Dennis
Old 02-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #179
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
That's why I only mentioned those two. I'll go get some more Rinehart from manybooks.net for my reading pleasure -- but Harry's versions are SOOO much nicer!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #180
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
That's why I only mentioned those two. I'll go get some more Rinehart from manybooks.net for my reading pleasure -- but Harry's versions are SOOO much nicer!
Yes, they are. Harry's work is hand crafted. Manybooks generates different formats automatically with scripts. (And the reason why Manybooks editions don't include illustrations, even if they are available in the PG source text: the Manyboooks admin hasn't found a good automated way to handle them.)
______
Dennis