Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #166
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berylmary View Post
Wha t is CSS?
"Cascading Style Sheets" are an external file that provides the format definition for the web page or (in this case) book. If your book has formatting and you turn off the CSS feature, you lose the formatting of the book (e.g. specific fonts, possibly bold and italics, indentations, etc.) At least, that has been my experience.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #167
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Style definitions can be inside the html file as well.
Also, you should not lose important formatings (?) like bold, italic and paragraphs since they are usually not defined by styles, but by the approproate tags.

What you most probably lose are indents, huge-chapter-starting-first-letters and colors, fonts etc.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #168
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Style definitions can be inside the html file as well.
Also, you should not lose important formatings (?) like bold, italic and paragraphs since they are usually not defined by styles, but by the approproate tags.

What you most probably lose are indents, huge-chapter-starting-first-letters and colors, fonts etc.
Style definitions can be inside the html file, and I should not have lost important format settings, but nonetheless, that's what happened.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #169
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by clowe1028 View Post
Has anyone already used the restore tool? I always get a

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot find backup folder; please specify it manually.

I already pointed it to the Backup folder with the wierdly named folder, still no luck.

Help?
No but I wrote this script that lets you pull your books directly off your iPhone/iPod Touch via SSH with their real names (needs jailbreaking for this). No iTunes needed.

NOTE: Might be a bit complicated for non-computer geeks...
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #170
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
May I point this thread where I talk about calibre2opds, which generates ODPS catalogs (for use with Stanza, Aldiko) publishable automatically with the free Dropbox service, from Calibre database ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #171
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Thanks to the OP for such a nice tutorial. Thanks to the Calibre author who is answering so many questions. But this thread has turned into a "general support forum for all things Calibre". It would be much nicer to have individual threads for the different topics than this one monster thread.

There is a Calibre section to this site.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #172
DVC
DVC began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3Gs
Calibre unuseable for the production of eBooks for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz68 View Post
I have converted the same books via Stanza Desktop & Calibre. I find that Calibre does a much better job on the ones I was working with.

I figured that the speed issue was because Calibre was actually working harder to maintain the quality.
I write eBooks and as a test I loaded a short 18-page PDF that looks perfect into Calibre and converted to EPUB. Even before loading into iPhone, using the viewer I could see the conversion was terribly flawed. It did not remove Headers or Footers, for example.

So, I created a new PDF with everything "inline" and with colored text because a correctly assumed gray-behind text would get lost.. Again the conversion was terrible. Colored text was black. Captions under images were tossed into text and centered images moved right. Pix and their captions were divorced. Many paragraphs end with a single word on the next line. Some text was blown up to 30pts.

Moved to file Stanza on iPhone, the conversion was the same -- terrible.

Bottom-line -- Calibre is unuseable for the production of eBooks. I can only imagine what it would do with one of my 300-page books. Clearly, the original PDF reads better on the iPhone and will be far better on the iPad.
DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #173
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Or, as some other people already have said : PDF is not an eBook format.
I don't know any way of automatically converting any PDF book (even the simple ones) into a correct ePub file.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #174
smit10
smit10 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3G
Just to add....iPhone + Stanza + Calibre + MacJournal = almost perfect solution. I wanted to find a way to get my personal journal on to my iPhone 3G. This guide gave me the starting point. So I exported my MacJournal as PDF, loaded it into Calibre, converted to ePub, then uploaded to Stanza on my iphone. The layout isn't perfect as my MacJournal was populated by 3 years of RTF files from a Windows diary software, but at least it included photos I had added. Thanks for the great starter.
smit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #175
clowe1028
clowe1028 began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza
Anybody got an Error 404 while downloading their books in Dropbox? Some of the books that I uploaded to dropbox gives me an Error 404. Any help?
clowe1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #176
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

If it's with every book, then Dropbox probably thinks you're using too much bandwidth : usually it's reset very quickly, and it may be because you're sharing your library with others.
If not, you may have another problem. Are you using Calibre2Opds ?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #177
DVC
DVC began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3Gs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Or, as some other people already have said : PDF is not an eBook format.
I don't know any way of automatically converting any PDF book (even the simple ones) into a correct ePub file.
Of course, PDF is not an eBook format! That's why Calibre is CLAIMED to CONVERT PDF to EPUB! Did you even read my question?

PDF is CLAIMED to be supported as a Calibre INPUT format because it is THE universal standard for computer documents just as EPUB is almost THE universal standard for eBooks!

Not to be able to convert PDF to EPUB -- as you claim -- would mean that 90% of the world's documents could NOT be converted to EPUB by Calibre. Is this what you are saying?

Moreover, I tried inputting a .docx file and Calibre couldn't import it. Given that WORD is the second most -- after PDF -- common document format in the world, Calibre is even more useless.

Bottom-line, if you can't import PDFs and .docs -- then what formats are you converting?

PS: Right after your post there is this post:

"So I exported my MacJournal as PDF, loaded it into Calibre, converted to ePub, then uploaded to Stanza on my iphone."

So why are you saying PDF isn't an input format? The problem isn't PDF. The problem is that Calibre doesn't have the correct code to interpret PDFs AND/OR Calibre can't correctly generate EPUB. Don't blame the PDF when the I have several iPhone readers that accept my huge books and render them perfectly!

And, note I'm not the only one who reports the conversion isn't correct. From the same post, " The layout isn't perfect ..."

Either it's got to be perfect, or Calibre needs to enable you to make EPUB corrections in its Viewer.

Last edited by DVC; 03-26-2010 at 04:26 AM.
DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #178
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Of course, PDF is not an eBook format! That's why Calibre is CLAIMED to CONVERT PDF to EPUB! Did you even read my question?

PDF is CLAIMED to be supported as a Calibre INPUT format because it is THE universal standard for computer documents just as EPUB is almost THE universal standard for eBooks!

Not to be able to convert PDF to EPUB -- as you claim -- would mean that 90% of the world's documents could NOT be converted to EPUB by Calibre. Is this what you are saying?

Moreover, I tried inputting a .docx file and Calibre couldn't import it. Given that WORD is the second most -- after PDF -- common document format in the world, Calibre is even more useless.

Bottom-line, if you can't import PDFs and .docs -- then what formats are you converting?

PS: Right after your post there is this post:

"So I exported my MacJournal as PDF, loaded it into Calibre, converted to ePub, then uploaded to Stanza on my iphone."

So why are you saying PDF isn't an input format? The problem isn't PDF. The problem is that Calibre doesn't have the correct code to interpret PDFs AND/OR Calibre can't correctly generate EPUB. Don't blame the PDF when the I have several iPhone readers that accept my huge books and render them perfectly!

And, note I'm not the only one who reports the conversion isn't correct. From the same post, " The layout isn't perfect ..."

Either it's got to be perfect, or Calibre needs to enable you to make EPUB corrections in its Viewer.
Amazing rant .

You use Sigil to edit epubs.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #179
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
@dvc You will not find many people in this forum who will agree that calibre is useless. On the contrary, I will argue that it is the software which singlehandedly saved us from the insanity of multiple eBook formats. Do not vent your frustrations with converting PDF and docx--which are not suitable eBook formats--by blaming calibre. It is free software which has been very useful to many of us in this forum, and Kovid is probably the most patient person in mobileread. You might do well to be more polite and re-consider you rant. Then maybe you will get better results.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #180
clowe1028
clowe1028 began at the beginning.

Device: Stanza
I use Calibre to organize my ebooks and convert them to epubs, then I use Sigil to clean up the mess, then I use Calibre2Opds to generate the catalogs then I upload them to the Dropbox folder. I tried it again just now and it still can't get all the books.

Last edited by clowe1028; 03-26-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Tried it again, still no avail.
clowe1028 is offline   Reply With Quote