Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-18-2023, 05:07 PM   #166
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Washington doesn't have an income tax, but we do have high sales taxes. For the larger cities in the Seattle Metro area, sales taxes range from 10.1~10.3%. Every now and then we have a sales tax holiday, but nothing scheduled this year.

Wanna swap taxes? That way, you'll save even more on a computer
No income tax in Tennessee either, so sure. I'd save between 0.85 & 1.05% regularly! We do have lower taxes on groceries, hopefully you do as well. That helps a lot.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #167
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
No income tax in Tennessee either, so sure. I'd save between 0.85 & 1.05% regularly! We do have lower taxes on groceries, hopefully you do as well. That helps a lot.
No sales tax on unprepared food in WA, so that helps a lot.

I always figure that sales tax (especially with that exception) is more progressive than people give it credit for. No need for tax preparers, so the wealthy don't get to just skip out on it. And under-the-table income (whether legal or illegal....) gets taxed when you use it. Seems more fair than income tax IMO.

(hopefully that doesn't dip into the political too much)
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2023, 02:28 PM   #168
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
No sales tax on unprepared food in WA, so that helps a lot.

I always figure that sales tax (especially with that exception) is more progressive than people give it credit for. No need for tax preparers, so the wealthy don't get to just skip out on it. And under-the-table income (whether legal or illegal....) gets taxed when you use it. Seems more fair than income tax IMO.

(hopefully that doesn't dip into the political too much)
You don't have to pay taxes on unprepared foods, so it doesn't seem as regressive to you. I'm disabled on a fixed income and have to pay 6.5% (5% base + local), which adds up and hurts. Also, sales tax punishes poor people for buying expensive, but necessary, stuff. Think about how much tax you get hit with buying a car, even a used one, and how that tax impacts someone making minimum wage ($7.25 in TN) vs. someone making $40,000 or more a year. It disproportionately impacts poorer people, which is what makes it regressive.

Poorer people don't need tax preparers, because their tax returns are simple. No self-employment income, no itemized deductions, no investment income, etc. While Turbotax/etc. make it hard to do, you can do simple returns like that for free online. (I've been doing my dad's and my own taxes with Turbotax's free version for years.) The IRS will be launching their own free filing system for simple returns soon as well, and they won't try to force you to pay/upgrade. Basically, if your returns are difficult enough to require someone to file your taxes, you probably make enough money to afford it.

Many countries have their tax bureau mail out a filled-out return that people sign and return. If they disagree with it, they can do their own, but they don't have to. It's a shame we don't do that in the US.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:13 PM   #169
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Let's end the sales tax discussion, please. It's find to say how much or to what it applies, but limit it to that. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:24 PM   #170
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Monkey, thanks for all your efforts!

I saw a few things on Prime Day that I found attractive, but I just wasn't in the mood to spend money. So I didn't.

I have 923 things on my camels list, and none of them showed up on Prime Day!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2023, 02:23 AM   #171
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wow, that's awful. Would they be able to make it a signature-required delivery?
There isn't anything in the online ordering process that gives me that option.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:55 AM   #172
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Monkey, thanks for all your efforts!

I saw a few things on Prime Day that I found attractive, but I just wasn't in the mood to spend money. So I didn't.

I have 923 things on my camels list, and none of them showed up on Prime Day!
I’m in the UK. I bought a Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, plus Lavender Case and Wireless Charger. I sold two ereaders on EBay to cover it so I spent just over £11. I had the Paperwhite on Camels list but they never spotted the £50 reduction. I paid £129.99 for it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 01:12 AM   #173
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Did anyone claim the 7% cash back for slo-mo shipping on Prime day? If so did you get your credits yet?
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 02:48 AM   #174
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Did anyone claim the 7% cash back for slo-mo shipping on Prime day? If so did you get your credits yet?
I didn't claim it, but it was forced on me anyway (see posts 97 and 115). I was expecting Amazon to change the 7% back to 6% after my original Prime shipping was reinstated. When I checked my rewards activity, they gave me 7% back.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:21 PM   #175
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I didn't claim it, but it was forced on me anyway (see posts 97 and 115). I was expecting Amazon to change the 7% back to 6% after my original Prime shipping was reinstated. When I checked my rewards activity, they gave me 7% back.
I found they only offered the 7% for slo-mo - even when I was paying with gift cards! Not sure how to complain about being ripped off.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:38 PM   #176
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I found they only offered the 7% for slo-mo - even when I was paying with gift cards! Not sure how to complain about being ripped off.
The process to complain about things like that is to type up your complaint, print it out and toss in the garbage can. It'll have the same effect as trying to complain to Amazon by any other method.
Old 07-29-2023, 07:31 PM   #177
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
The process to complain about things like that is to type up your complaint, print it out and toss in the garbage can. It'll have the same effect as trying to complain to Amazon by any other method.
Yep!
Old 07-29-2023, 09:17 PM   #178
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No, no no! You toss it in the paper recycle bin.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #179
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Years ago, our city gave each residence a recycle bin and required us to recycle. Right before covid it came out that the city wasn't actually recycling they were just dumping it in the land fill with the other garbage. When covid started they notified residences that they would not be picking up the recycle bins. And, surprise surprise they still haven't start requiring recycling again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #180
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Years ago, our city gave each residence a recycle bin and required us to recycle. Right before covid it came out that the city wasn't actually recycling they were just dumping it in the land fill with the other garbage. When covid started they notified residences that they would not be picking up the recycle bins. And, surprise surprise they still haven't start requiring recycling again.
Apache
It's a nationwide problem. Only a few places send recycling someplace other than a landfill. Things got really bad when China stopped importing recycled material because of contamination. (Most places likely do sell aluminum cans to aluminum can recyclers.)
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote