Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-02-2023, 10:56 AM   #1756
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need a plugin. You can use https://www.fantasticfiction.com to follow the authors you want to be notified about.
FantasticFiction has a limit of 200 authors tracked.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #1757
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
FantasticFiction has a limit of 200 authors tracked.
Create a second account with a different email address. There's 200 more you can track.

Do you really need more than 200 authors tracked?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2023, 03:37 PM   #1758
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Do you really need more than 200 authors tracked?
I see why you call yourself the Resident Curmudgeon.

And I have 500+ authors in my Calibre, as I said above. Should I choose between them? Or just track them all, just in case?
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 05:17 PM   #1759
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
I see why you call yourself the Resident Curmudgeon.

And I have 500+ authors in my Calibre, as I said above. Should I choose between them? Or just track them all, just in case?
You would have to create 3 accounts to do all 500. But why not just pick the ones you do want to read. Any that are no longer alive you don't need to track.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:31 PM   #1760
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
You would have to create 3 accounts to do all 500. But why not just pick the ones you do want to read. Any that are no longer alive you don't need to track.
I have 1008 authors in one genre, but I bet 2/3 of those are dead, and annoyingly, have stopped writing. A few may still publish another book, but most will not.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2023, 06:31 PM   #1761
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I have 1008 authors in one genre, but I bet 2/3 of those are dead, and annoyingly, have stopped writing. A few may still publish another book, but most will not.
Most of Franz Kafka's works were published after his death, and translated even later. IIRC all of Irène Némirovsky's works were translated after her death, the book for which she's best known, Suite française, was published 60 years after her death (in Auschwitz). More recently all of Stieg Larsson's novels, e.g. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, were published after his death. Most of the poetry written by Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson was published posthumously.

One might say: if an author's work gets published posthumously it probably indicates they're worth reading
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 07:38 PM   #1762
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I know of one author that stipulated in his will that all his unfinished manuscripts and hard drives be burned on his death.

And then there's Mark Twain who had filing cabinets of materials to feed future manuscripts and his will stipulated that an archivist pull together another autobiography from that material 100 years (I think) after his death.

But I think most authors generally stop writing when they die and maybe have one or two books finished posthumously and that's it. Point being, while some authors might be worth watching forever, others not so much.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 04:24 PM   #1763
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Authors who published in English will not need to be watched in case any books become translated. Unless you read in a language other than English.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:29 AM   #1764
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Most of Franz Kafka's works were published after his death, and translated even later. IIRC all of Irène Némirovsky's works were translated after her death, the book for which she's best known, Suite française, was published 60 years after her death (in Auschwitz). More recently all of Stieg Larsson's novels, e.g. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, were published after his death. Most of the poetry written by Sylvia Plath and Emily Dickinson was published posthumously.

One might say: if an author's work gets published posthumously it probably indicates they're worth reading
There's also the odd case of V.C. Andrews. She died after maybe half a dozen books, but her family presumably liked the money and hired a ghostwriter to keep making books under her name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I know of one author that stipulated in his will that all his unfinished manuscripts and hard drives be burned on his death.
Terry Prachett did that. I think they ran over his hard drive with a steamroller.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-09-2023 at 08:31 AM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 11:17 AM   #1765
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
'The Alphabet ends in Y ' per Sue Grafton request
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:42 AM   #1766
Tanimpra
Tanimpra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kindle Paperwhite B024
This may have already been addressed. If it has, I apologize in advance, for I am unable to find what I am looking for via site search, likely because I have no clue what keywords to search for.

I have the latest and greatest version of calibre installed on Windows 10 x64 with 8000+ titles in the library. What i would like to do when sorted by author name, book title, or series, is enable keyboard shortcuts that would allow me to go directly to the first letter of the title, author, or series by pressing a key combination that includes the first letter of the first word.

Has this been addressed? Can this be done?
Tanimpra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:14 PM   #1767
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimpra View Post
This may have already been addressed. If it has, I apologize in advance, for I am unable to find what I am looking for via site search, likely because I have no clue what keywords to search for.

I have the latest and greatest version of calibre installed on Windows 10 x64 with 8000+ titles in the library. What i would like to do when sorted by author name, book title, or series, is enable keyboard shortcuts that would allow me to go directly to the first letter of the title, author, or series by pressing a key combination that includes the first letter of the first word.

Has this been addressed? Can this be done?

Check this setting

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-14 070754.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	203748

Quote:
When enabled, pressing a key in the library view will search for the next cell in the current column where the value starts with the letter pressed. If there is no such cell then nothing happens. If the letter is a shortcut then the shortcut takes precedence.
If you don't like the last sentence, change the single character shortcuts. To find those shortcuts; JobSpy has a tool to export the shortcuts into a CSV which you can sort.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-13-2023 at 05:20 PM. Reason: last para
Old 10-09-2023, 02:35 AM   #1768
nickhell
nickhell began at the beginning.

Device: moonreader+
Hi, I have a suggestion. I dont know if for a a plugin or main app.

The thing is I have a quite large library with thousands of books. Taking backups with any software is slooooow. I wonder if could be done that the library stays inside a compressed file or iso or anytype of container. So backups would be much faster.
What do you think?
nickhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 04:37 AM   #1769
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhell View Post

The thing is I have a quite large library with thousands of books. Taking backups with any software is slooooow. I wonder if could be done that the library stays inside a compressed file or iso or anytype of container. So backups would be much faster.
What do you think?
Many calibre users use a file synch tool for backups of calibre libraries. Free File Synch, rsynch, GoodSynch are some of tools in use. In essence after first time, they only backup changes (adds, edits, and deletions) - most ebook libraries are very static. They also allow single files to be recovered - compressed archives are normally an all or nothing proposition.

Choose your weapon ==>> Comparison of file synchronization software - Wikipedia

FWIW: I use GoodSynch.

BR
Old 10-09-2023, 06:15 AM   #1770
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhell View Post

What do you think?
If you use a file syncing program such as FreeFileSync (the best one), you will only have to backup any files that have changed since the last backup. So that makes backs a lot faster from the second backup onwards.

The problem with your suggestion is that eBooks are compressed formats. You'd get barely any return on your compression. Plus it would be quite slow trying to compress already compressed data.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-09-2023 at 06:17 AM.

Tags
calibre, chatbot, cover, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, kindle, metadata calibre title, missing, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development, scribe