Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-12-2024, 10:48 AM   #151
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've shown you an edition that proves your wrong.
You've shown me an edition that proves me right -- that both styles exist and both are correct
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #152
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
THIS IS CORRECT. THIS IS ALSO CORRECT.
That is also incorrect. That's not a title. That's a normal sentence. So only the first T should be in full size caps.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 10:51 AM   #153
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
That is also incorrect. That's not a title. That's a normal sentence. So only the first T should be in full size caps.
Yes, I've just edited my other comment, I had a title in mind with that example, because that's when these styles come into question. If it was a sentence, just the first letter would be regular. Like I said, both styles are used.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:52 AM   #154
paperwhite13
Zealot

Speaking of titles, here's Random in Death

<p class="CRT"><small>RANDOM IN DEATH.</small> Copyright © 2023 by Nora Roberts. All rights reserved. For information, address St. Martin’s Publishing Group, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271.</p>
Old 02-12-2024, 10:53 AM   #155
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You've shown me an edition that proves me right -- that both styles exist and both are correct
What I showed was supposed to have been all small-caps with no proper uppercase letters that I edited. It was wrong because the CSS code converted the letters to uppercase when they should have been converted to lowercase. By not converting to lowercase, the small-caps did not work. So I have removed the incorrect image.
Advert
Old 02-12-2024, 10:58 AM   #156
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So a pointless argument. Do it either how the commissioning publisher insists or you own judgement for new works. However I doubt that either spelling check or TTS are affected.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:03 AM   #157
paperwhite13
Zealot

How to lose a job:

Publisher: This is our style guide.
JSW: That is incorrect, that is also incorrect, and that too. You're welcome.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:20 AM   #158
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
How to lose a job:

Your way goes against the publisher. My way goes with the publisher. The publisher is publishing with caps and small-caps, not just small-caps.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:25 AM   #159
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your way goes against the publisher. My way goes with the publisher. The publisher is publishing with caps and small-caps, not just small-caps.
Actually Corgi seems to have used both at different times.

But it's a bit academic and hypothetical.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:27 AM   #160
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
How to lose a job:

But Jon's "Style Guide" is for Jon reading the books and this is the Internet.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:08 PM   #161
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Your way goes with one publisher, and against another. I happen to prefer the one you go against, but I've done it however I was asked to. I don't think at all your way is awful or anyting, I just find the other one more pleasant.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:42 PM   #162
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Apologies for completely derailing this thread

However I've learned about CSS @support so that's something.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:27 PM   #163
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
It's not just a line, this is how Death speaks, and I would bet money that there's authorial intent.
I'll agree that the author had intent that the dialog be rendered as "different", but exactly how that "different" got rendered was likely based on what could be done at publishing time without significantly increasing the cost of printing the book.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:53 PM   #164
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I'll agree that the author had intent that the dialog be rendered as "different", but exactly how that "different" got rendered was likely based on what could be done at publishing time without significantly increasing the cost of printing the book.
If anything goes with "a voice as heavy as neutronium", it must be caps -- small or regular ones

Also, it seems Pratchett was quite involved in the process and I think he was successful enough to get to have his way. The TP Papers mentions stuff like this about his manuscripts:

Quote:
The final leaf has a note from the author to the editor regarding fonts to be used, and the text of the footnotes to be included in the text.
And frankly, I think caps increase cost more than italics or bold, they take more space, what else could've been instead?
Old 02-12-2024, 05:30 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Your way goes with one publisher, and against another. I happen to prefer the one you go against, but I've done it however I was asked to. I don't think at all your way is awful or anyting, I just find the other one more pleasant.

When you do your testing can you please also test the following code? It does work in calibre. I created a second CSS with just that code and it's the second stylesheet listed in the HTML. So if it fails, it won't cause a problem. It does not work in Thorium Reader (2.3.0) for Windows.

Code:
@supports (font-variant: small-caps) {
small {
  font-size: 1em;
  font-variant: small-caps;
  text-transform: lowercase;
}

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-12-2024 at 05:58 PM.

Tags
indesign, sigil