Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-31-2021, 07:52 PM   #151
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's because you haven't used any Kindles.
I guess

Comparisons of the Paperwhite 4 and the Clara showed the Paperwhite as being very slow, so I'm glad the Paperwhite is fast now, but it's not like Kindles have always been better unless you want to pay +$250 for a reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:07 PM   #152
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess

Comparisons of the Paperwhite 4 and the Clara showed the Paperwhite as being very slow, so I'm glad the Paperwhite is fast now, but it's not like Kindles have always been better unless you want to pay +$250 for a reader.
Well, I've never had any of the Paperwhites, so I wouldn't know. Before the Oases and the Voyage, I had nontouch basic Kindles. Those were slow, yeah. But then it was several years ago.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-31-2021 at 08:09 PM. Reason: eh... I'm stupid.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #153
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
I'm a little nervous about the relative sluggishness of the Libra 2 over the Kindle platform. But that Libra 2 screen is sure looking nice. Sharp and clear. (They say that it's the lack of a flush screen, no extra layer of plastic. Not sure I believe that yet. My Voyage has a flush screen.)
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:21 PM   #154
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
I'm a little nervous about the relative sluggishness of the Libra 2 over the Kindle platform. But that Libra 2 screen is sure looking nice. Sharp and clear. (They say that it's the lack of a flush screen, no extra layer of plastic. Not sure I believe that yet. My Voyage has a flush screen.)
If you use kepubs, it's fast enough. With epubs Kobos are particularly slow.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:45 PM   #155
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I got my Libra 2 on Friday. It is as fast as my Oasis 3. The screen is even sharper than the Oasis. I could not be happier.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2021, 11:50 PM   #156
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
About the lighting on the Libra 2, it's slightly darker on the side of the buttons when you REALLY look for it. But it's so minor it's almost not worth mentioning.

I'm absolutely in love with my new Libra after reading on it almost all day yesterday. I made some comparison pictures with the new Paperwhite and the Libra sure looks good.

I think I'm going to return the PW5. It kept slipping out of my hands because of the smaller bezels.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:02 AM   #157
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I got my Libra 2 on Friday. It is as fast as my Oasis 3. The screen is even sharper than the Oasis. I could not be happier.
If your Oasis is as slow as the Libra2 you should contact Amazon
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #158
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you use kepubs, it's fast enough. With epubs Kobos are particularly slow.
Part of the reason I'm considering Kobo is epub compatibility.
And PDF zoom/panning looks really sluggish.

Although, if someone figures out sideloaded MP3s for podcasts and such, I may not be able to resist. (Don't own a phone.)
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:21 AM   #159
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
And PDF zoom/panning looks really sluggish.

Although, if someone figures out sideloaded MP3s for podcasts and such, I may not be able to resist. (Don't own a phone.)
If you use sideloaded epubs, try KOReader. Easy to install on Kobo, and you may find it faster
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:15 AM   #160
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
About the lighting on the Libra 2, it's slightly darker on the side of the buttons when you REALLY look for it. But it's so minor it's almost not worth mentioning.

I'm absolutely in love with my new Libra after reading on it almost all day yesterday. I made some comparison pictures with the new Paperwhite and the Libra sure looks good.

I think I'm going to return the PW5. It kept slipping out of my hands because of the smaller bezels.
I do not know how this is possible since the led lights are on that side
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:38 AM   #161
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
I do not know how this is possible since the led lights are on that side
I know my Oasis 3 was darker on that side as well, as was the Libra H2O.
But I do have to say it's almost none existent on the Libra 2. But it is there. But I don't notice it while reading at all. It's just to find something 'wrong' with it.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #162
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wouldn't consider a device based solely on compatibility with a particular e-book format. Calibre makes it easy enough to switch back and forth between azw and ePub
Old 11-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #163
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
If you use sideloaded epubs, try KOReader. Easy to install on Kobo, and you may find it faster
If you convert epub to kepub in Calibre, does the Kobo treat it the same as kepub you buy from Kobo? I.e., all features are available and opening and page turns are just as fast?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #164
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If you convert epub to kepub in Calibre, does the Kobo treat it the same as kepub you buy from Kobo? I.e., all features are available and opening and page turns are just as fast?
Don't convert. Use the KoboTouchExtended plugin, which converts your epubs to kepubs on the fly while sending them to device.

Yes, IMO it treats them the same, but I'm not an expert on this.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #165
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yes it does. But as mentioned, no need to convert from ePub to kepub. Use KoboTouchExtended plug-in, it will send ePubs to your Kobo and convert them during the transfer.