Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-31-2023, 03:59 PM   #151
sk88
sk88 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk88 View Post
I'm currently on firmware 3.0 and trying to access my bootloader to finally root. I'm getting a new eink device so I can risk bricking this one. I am hesitant to update to the latest firmware because I know Onyx has done some updates to remove rooting methods.

I'm not seeing the button to edit my post... Anyway, I figured part of this out. I had to install the ADB driver for my device on Windows while in fastboot. Once I did that, the fastboot commands worked, including flashing the TWRP image, but it's not seeming to stick. When I go back into recovery mode, it's the old Onyx System Recovery not twrp.

I flashed in fastboot with the command: 'fastboot flash recovery TWRP_Max3_unofficial.img'
sk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #152
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Either way I do it, the device ends up being frozen.
Are you sure it's really frozen? Things like EDL mode or bootloader are low key, they don't do anything with the screen.
The only way to tell if they are active is if the USB is presenting an interface.
If you don't have a driver loaded it's easy to miss.

Step one: In Linux, do "lsusb". In Windows, Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) or simply plug and unplug and see if it goes "bong".
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2023, 01:09 AM   #153
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
I'm not seeing the button to edit my post... Anyway, I figured part of this out. I had to install the ADB driver for my device on Windows while in fastboot. Once I did that, the fastboot commands worked, including flashing the TWRP image, but it's not seeming to stick. When I go back into recovery mode, it's the old Onyx System Recovery not twrp.

I flashed in fastboot with the command: 'fastboot flash recovery TWRP_Max3_unofficial.img'
unless onyx pushed updates to bootloader idk why it wouldnt work... im still running this and it works fine. you can just fastboot boot twrp.mg and flash magisk from there it should work fine you just wont have twrp
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 01:10 AM   #154
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Are you sure it's really frozen? Things like EDL mode or bootloader are low key, they don't do anything with the screen.
The only way to tell if they are active is if the USB is presenting an interface.
If you don't have a driver loaded it's easy to miss.

Step one: In Linux, do "lsusb". In Windows, Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) or simply plug and unplug and see if it goes "bong".
are you the same Renate from xda who did the kallsym work for me? lol
Old 11-04-2023, 01:39 AM   #155
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqdom View Post
Hello diabl0w, I read about your instructions to flash TWRP, so after months/years I have turned on my max3 again, and I have seen that there is a new update (v3.3.2) 2023-05-15_11-51_3.3.2_0653eec63. I don't know if you are aware of this new update and I wanted to know if your instructions are still valid to this new version.

The changelog is in the attachment or it may be seen it here https://imgur.com/a/ckfJzZ4
im running on firmware 3.3 but i flashed updated system.img and boot.img manually. shoild be fine doing update normal but i would make sure you unlock bootloader first to be safe
Advert
Old 11-04-2023, 01:51 AM   #156
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by very_rude_Turnip View Post
diabl0w, do you have a repository so I can check out your TRWP code? I want to try to make a build for the Note 2.

Thanks.
https://github.com/diabl0w/android_d...ee/android-9.0
Old 11-04-2023, 07:14 AM   #157
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabl0w View Post
are you the same Renate from xda who did the kallsym work for me? lol
Erm, well, I do have a utility for extracting kallsyms...
Old 11-04-2023, 11:32 AM   #158
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
Erm, well, I do have a utility for extracting kallsyms...
neat! good to see you around here
Old 11-05-2023, 12:24 PM   #159
sk88
sk88 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
unless onyx pushed updates to bootloader idk why it wouldnt work... im still running this and it works fine. you can just fastboot boot twrp.mg and flash magisk from there it should work fine you just wont have twrp
Yeah, unless they stuck a bootloader update in 3.0, I should have been fine. I haven't connected my device to the internet in years.

I was trying to flash in a way where I could keep TWRP. I had some ideas on changing up some functionality and wanted an easier reset option. Anyway, I couldn't get TWRP to stick at all, but I can boot directly to the magisk img.
sk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:30 AM   #160
batman52
batman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia5530 DingooA320
Userland

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqdom View Post
I'm also interested in running a native full GNU/Linux distro, or a custom ROM like LineageOS. I'm not an expert, I would like to help and learn. If you have more information about our device or some thoughts about how to continue please send it.

A bit about the SOC/CPU: MSM8953 Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53 2GHz 64-bit Processor (Snapdragon 625)

Userland application ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tech.ula&hl=fr ) allows to run a full linux distro (like debian or Ubuntu) on userspace and without rooting the device. The system is usable even in graphical mode using ICEWM as window manager both on my Vivo Y70 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 665), and Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (Qualcomm Snapdragon 625). However it crashes often when using LXDE or XFCE as window managers.

[EDIT]
I have tested Userland on Boox Max 3, and it works pretty fine out of the box. Still need to explore all the possibilities.

Last edited by batman52; 11-30-2023 at 03:55 PM.
batman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:04 PM   #161
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yeah, unless they stuck a bootloader update in 3.0, I should have been fine. I haven't connected my device to the internet in years.

I was trying to flash in a way where I could keep TWRP. I had some ideas on changing up some functionality and wanted an easier reset option. Anyway, I couldn't get TWRP to stick at all, but I can boot directly to the magisk img.
not to soumd insulting, but are you sure it didnt work? TWRP takes a long time to boot... approximately 1-2 minutes... and that time increases significantly if you have a lot of files on your device (upwards of 10 minutes). as mentioned previously in this thread, the bootloader doesnt have a splash screen so it will look like nothing is happening on your device until the kernel of twrp/android starts loading its graphics code
the combination of those 2 things can make it seem like it didnt flash

```
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
```

Last edited by diabl0w; 11-08-2023 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:40 AM   #162
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
TWRP takes a long time to boot... approximately 1-2 minutes... and that time increases significantly if you have a lot of files on your device (upwards of 10 minutes).
What? That's criminal. I haven't used TWRP in ages. I just don't get the need for a fancy recovery unless you don't have access to a desktop. I just make my own recovery and that gives you rooted, permissive ADB in a few seconds.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:30 PM   #163
diabl0w
Connoisseur

Quote:
What? That's criminal. I haven't used TWRP in ages. I just don't get the need for a fancy recovery unless you don't have access to a desktop. I just make my own recovery and that gives you rooted, permissive ADB in a few seconds.
It is very strange. I must admit i havent timed it and theres probably some exagerarion here. It is probably 45 secinds to 1 minute in general, but if you have a lot of small files (like running a chroot linux with many small binaries) ive had tablets in the best take >5 minutes. Not sure if it is a coincidence ive only ever had this issue with tablets and not phones.

Im sure there is a flag that can be set when compiling twrp that disables some type of filesystem checking that i would guess is the cause the long boot time, i just havent taken the time to investigate. you do get an adb interface in normal time, a few seconds, before twrp shows splash screen, but data wont be mounted until twrp does whatever it does

the "unless you dont have access to desktop" is a pretty big "unless", i think that alone justifies its use case. it is a mobile device after all.... along with providing a good/convnient way to perform backups, flash zips including otas, etc. id strongly disagree with your assesment that its just a fancy recovery. but the good news is if you dont like it, no need to install.

not to mention its pretty cool to see twrp running on e-ink
Old 12-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #164
batman52
batman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia5530 DingooA320
Hi all, perhaps someone can help me completing the sequence... since I am a bit confused.

I try to summarize what I have done so far:
- Max 3 updated to latest OTA
- download TWRP_Max3_unofficial.img from link on first post of this thread
- download update.upx from generated link http://data.onyx-international.cn/ap...ngerprint":""}
- extract update.zip from update.upx using tool from github https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx
- Install magisk app from google play
- copy update.zip to device, and patch with magisk
- copy to pc patched update.zip
- enable usb debugging on your device, and run "adb reboot bootloader"
- ensure your bootloader is unlocked ("fastboot flashing unlock")
- flash twrp ("fastboot flash recovery TWRP_Max3_unofficial.img") and reboot to system -> not sure this worked since when rebooted to recovery, I found onyx recovery
- download magisk.apk and rename to magisk.zip ?
- Boot into recovery (instructions below) and flash magisk.zip -> never got to this
- flashboot boot boot.img from patched update.zip -> device rebooted to system

I would really appreciate if someone could help me to get this sequence right.
batman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 06:50 PM   #165
Renate
Wizard

Woah! There is so much wrong here. Please stop a moment.

Don't rename stuff, you'll confuse yourself and me.
There's no need to flash recovery at this point.
When flashing partitions (like boot or recovery) you have to make sure you know what you're flashing.
Magisk can't patch update.zip (I don't think?)
If it says that it patched something you should perform a sanity check on it.

A Magisk'ed boot image should be 30 to 100 MB and have a name like "magisk_patched-26400_6raVQ.img".
Don't rename it zip or anything.