Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #151
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is easy enough to remove the text based watermarks and the image based watermarks. Changing the filenames is trivial too. Someone's going to do it and it will get around.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #152
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

You are kidding yourself. They are indeed watermarked in many ways. You might want to check out the company booxtream to get an idea of what is going on. Remember, it need not be your name, it can be any identifiable string that can be tied back to you.

I am actually in favour of social drm like this, I wish everyone used it and removed the silly company specific DRM crap we see now.
Well, I'm not "kidding" myself -- everything I've said so far has been *just what I have found*. So please dial back the aggressive tone? Thanks.

I'm not in favor of watermarking as social DRM because I know how laughably easy it would be to hack a person's computer, grab their Calibre library, and upload it to a torrent. And I know how impossibly hard it would be to prove that it wasn't *the owner* who did the uploading.

I went ahead and bought the books because I'm very excited to read them. But I'll be watching the de-watermarking efforts with interest.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #153
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
A person on the Amazon forums figured out a way to purchase a UK version of the books if you live in the US:

-SNIP-
Thanks for posting that, I was able to get the UK versions with no problems.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #154
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Well, I'm not "kidding" myself -- everything I've said so far has been *just what I have found*. So please dial back the aggressive tone? Thanks.

I'm not in favor of watermarking as social DRM because I know how laughably easy it would be to hack a person's computer, grab their Calibre library, and upload it to a torrent. And I know how impossibly hard it would be to prove that it wasn't *the owner* who did the uploading.

I went ahead and bought the books because I'm very excited to read them. But I'll be watching the de-watermarking efforts with interest.
That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of that.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #155
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I'd prefer the British text, but I really love Mary GrandPré's illustrations. Oh, the horror of making a decision!
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #156
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Yeah, that's true. But it's possible that the only options made available to Pottermore were Amazon DRM or no DRM at all. Watermarking might not have been an option made available by Amazon at all (and it never will be, because Amazon wouldn't be able to lock-in customers to their reader with this sort of DRM).
The Amazon copies have the same watermarking ("This book is watermarked and was acquired by user ...") as the ePub ones.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #157
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Are the illustrations different in the UK version? I am going to have to decide tonight. I was leaning towards the UK version, I have the US versions in hardback, but who knows.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #158
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My guess is that Amazon (for instance) has refused to implement the watermarking method, and so Pottermore has no option but to opt for the DRming.
The Amazon copies I just downloaded are watermarked with a user ID just like the ePubs.

EDIT: Oops, murraypaul beat me to it.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #159
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Are the illustrations different in the UK version? I am going to have to decide tonight. I was leaning towards the UK version, I have the US versions in hardback, but who knows.
The UK versions don't have illustrations (the only graphics they contain are the cover, Hogwarts crest and Pottermore logo).

I agree Mary GrandPré's illustrations (and covers) are very nice, but I wanted the UK texts more than I wanted the illustrations my HC's have.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-27-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #160
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The only "illustrations" in the UK versions are the Hogwarts coat of arms on the title page, and the Pottermore logo.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #161
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
What versions are they in? Both American and British?
You had them translated into American?
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #162
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
After all the huffin' 'n puffin', I dont think they're too badly priced, the bundle particularly.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #163
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes, it's late in coming. Yes, she was stupid to wait for so long before releasing these as e-book versions. But the real key thing is here, the distribution. I wish this distribution method would pick up with other e-books. I'm tired of "Well, I bought this book in iBooks so I can only read it on Apple devices".

I actually prefer iBooks app to Amazon Kindle app on the iPad, but I buy everything through Amazon these days because at least I know I can read it on my iPad, iPhone, or Kindle and they all sync up bookmarks. The same is not true with iBooks purchases as they are locked to Apple devices only.

The revolutionary thing about this is I could read this book on an iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Sony, Computer, or any other device I want simply for a single $7.99 fee. If only we could be so lucky with other major books. The whole locking of books to one platform thing is really going to shoot us in the foot later on down the road.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #164
lfeuln
lfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and gracelfeuln herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: iPhone, Retina iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Agree - for the first time I have a book linked with *both* Nook and Kindle (perfect for the new iPad since the Nook retina update's not out), plus a copy downloaded to my hard drive, and still have "5 downloads" left. Pretty great IMO.
lfeuln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #165
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So we can download in multiple formats and have them linked to multiple shops? So I could have them at Sony, B&N & Amazon?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote