Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #151
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Often you're way ahead of your luggage anyway, so why the rush?
Exactly
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #152
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
There are some good reasons. You legs are cramped and you want to stand up. And you might be in a hurry to find a restroom. Also if you have put sensitive things like a laptop in the overhead compartment you want to get it out as fast as possible.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #153
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
There are some good reasons. You legs are cramped and you want to stand up. And you might be in a hurry to find a restroom. Also if you have put sensitive things like a laptop in the overhead compartment you want to get it out as fast as possible.
All of the reasons you mentioned are valid.
It is funny but apparently it is applicable to the most of the passengers
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #154
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It only makes sense when you are in transit to some other destination and risk missing the next flight (with or without luggage).

Once I arrived to Lyon very late, just in time to take the last night bus to some other city, so I wanted to get out of the airport as soon as possible... but I had to wait for the luggage. So I waited... the last bus left... I waited... and my luggage was not there. I had to spend the night in the airport, take the first bus in the morning, and wait a couple of days for my luggage. Had I known my luggage was not there, I could have catched the bus
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #155
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I do keep everything off the 5-10 from take-off / landing.
But "belts on" light is like 20-30min, that's a long time to wait doing noting.

I'll probably switch off the reader to avoid making a mess of things, but I'll be VERY unhappy about it.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #156
TimS
TimS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Here's a link to the 2001 study by NASA about personal electronic devices causing problems on planes:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2001108092.pdf
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #157
TimS

Then there's the article published by the IEEE:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/a...any-airspeed/0

Last edited by TimS; 04-26-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #158
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Then there's the article published by the IEEE:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/a...any-airspeed/0
Thanks for that, good to see some actual data from an actual experiment. I really hope there are more such studies before cell phone use is allowed in planes. In particular studies that actually try to measure the effect of cell phones on plane systems rather than just the presence of radiation from cell phones.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-26-2010 at 11:53 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #159
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I have noticed.
The moment belt sign goes off, all over the plane you can hear ringing and people start to talk. As if they cannot live a few hours without talking on the phone
I can understand it if you're being picked up by someone in the cell phone parking lot that a lot of US airports have added so people aren't circling the airport to pick someone up.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #160
TimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for that, good to see some actual data from an actual experiment. I really hope there are more such studies before cell phone use is allowed in planes. In particular studies that actually try to measure the effect of cell phones on plane systems rather than just the presence of radiation from cell phones.
Here are a couple that were referenced in the IEEE article.

Evaluation of a Mobile Phone for Aircraft GPS Interference:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2004035943.pdf

Portable Wireless LAN Device and Two-Way Radio Threat Assessment for Aircraft Navigation Radios:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2004090621.pdf
Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #161
TimS

Here are some more from that, too.

ELECTROMAGNETIC INTERFERENCE ASSESSMENT OF CDMA AND
GSM WIRELESS PHONES TO AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION RADIOS:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...2002155076.pdf

Measurements to Determine Potential Interference to GPS Receivers From Ultrawideband Transmission Systems:

http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/pub/ntia-...ndices_ocr.pdf

Assessment of Compatibility Between Ultrawideband (UWB) Systems and Global Positioning System (GPS) Receivers:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/repo...iasp_01_45.pdf
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #162
TimS

For a little more pedestrian description about electronics on aircraft, check out this article from Slate.

http://www.slate.com/id/2215050
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #163
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm, seems to me that airplane design needs an overhaul for the electronics age.

A few crazy ideas, just for the fun of it (I know absolutely nothing about aircraft design):

1) passenger cabins should really be encased in a Faraday cage, though that will degrade the view from the windows

2) mount GPS and other vulnerable antennae on wingtips, to reduce signal strength

3) Add more GPS satellites, boosting signal strength and allowing for a reduction in the sensitivity of receiver antennae
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #164
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks for that, good to see some actual data from an actual experiment. I really hope there are more such studies before cell phone use is allowed in planes.
They are now.

And the entire problem of requiring a very high signal strength can be bypassed by a onboard cell. Or they could simply use it to block calls while in flight, if they could do so legally...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #165
TimS

I don't know if it would be easier or safer to enclose the passenger compartments in a Faraday cage or the wiring components in shielding.

According to the FAA, the GPS antenna must be in a non-icing location, but it sounds like there are already multiple GPS antennae on an aircraft.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/8a2ae2491c85226f86256e35004c638b/$FILE/AC20-138A.pdf