Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #151
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
I found an alternate solution to this problem.

- DOES NOT require unzip/rezip. (The Good News!)
- DOES require the command line. (The Bad News, unless you're me. )

It also eliminates the do not use unzip on the command line warning. An unzip will work fine afterward, though it won't be necessary, since the archive is repaired directly.
Good deal!

Quote:
Here goes...

The zip file has a corrupted file name in the archive, as mentioned above. The command line version of zip on Mac OS X actually has the ability to repair zip files. Since this is a pretty simple repair, it works fine.

Note that the zip command alters the file in place, so you probably want to work on a copy.

Code:
% cp your-epub.epub new-epub.epub
% zip -F new-epub.epub
The -F option means to fix the file.

Quote:
To test the archive, you can use the unzip command:

Code:
% unzip -qt new-epub.epub
The 't' part of '-qt' means to test the file for correctness. The 'q' part of '-qt' means to do so quietly.

Quote:
If the fix worked, you shouldn't see anything. Just a clean run, all clear and back to the prompt. This also doesn't actually unzip anything, it's just a test run.

Okay!!

Now you can run ineptepub.pyw on the fixed file (it has a command-line/no GUI mode when you pass it parameters).

Code:
% python ineptepub.pyw  adeptkey.der new-epub.epub decrypted.epub
For me the command brought up the GUI version of ineptepub, which is fine.
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #152
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
B&N ePUB Book Recommendation?

Thanks to epstewart for the fill-in on explaining the zip flags.

Now another question...

I just joined B&N to download a book and try out the ignobleepub.pyw. I received several free e-Books for joining, but they're all in PDB format!

Are all the purchase books on B&N ePUB, or is there some setting? They used to offer a choice IIRC, but now it just shows "EBOOK" and "DOWNLOAD" and that's it.

A recommendation on a cheap SF ePUB to D/L would be great! (Not Heinlein!)

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #153
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
Quote:
Thanks to epstewart for the fill-in on explaining the zip flags.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Are all the purchase books on B&N ePUB, or is there some setting? They used to offer a choice IIRC, but now it just shows "EBOOK" and "DOWNLOAD" and that's it.
I think you're right. It looks like they're all ePubs now.

Quote:
A recommendation on a cheap SF ePUB to D/L would be great! (Not Heinlein!)
How about I, Robot by Isaac Asimov? $6.39 at B&N ...
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #154
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post
I think you're right. It looks like they're all ePubs now.
Oh, I forgot to say why I asked.

For signing up and downloading the B&N Mac software, I received 7 free eBooks -- mostly public domain classics. They were all in PDB format. That made me sort of leery of making a blind purchase just to test out a program.

As a side note, I am testing the program so I can actually make future purchases from them if it works! Sheesh.

Quote:
How about I, Robot by Isaac Asimov? $6.39 at B&N ...
If they had the one by Eando Binder, now THAT would be a sell!!

I've read I, Robot but I'll still give that a look and see if other Asimov books catch my eye.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 04-21-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #155
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice find with the zip option!

Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" is only $3.95. I'm not sure if that's the permanent price or if it's on sale.

It's pdb if you download it from their web site, but epub if you pull it from your Nook (if you have one) or you use the Windows version of the B&N software.

Last edited by adullday; 04-21-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: (oops... I said eReader when I should've said B&N)
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #156
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know what's up with the Mac version of the B&N software. It looks like they added epub support to the eReader software (which they acquired when they purchased Fictionwise), but they don't seem to give you any access to the epub formats of the books. I thought I saw somewhere where someone had figured out an url parameter to fetch the epub version of the book. If I find and confirm it I'll post it.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #157
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adullday View Post
Nice find with the zip option!

Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" is only $3.95. I'm not sure if that's the permanent price or if it's on sale.

It's pdb if you download it from their web site, but epub if you pull it from your Nook (if you have one) or you use the Windows version of the B&N software.
Is this true with a Windows Web Browser, like Firefox or IE?

-Pie
Old 04-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #158
adullday
Enthusiast

It's true with any web browser I've tried (being IE, Safari, and Firefox), and on any platform. The only way I've been able to access the epub versions was by using the Windows version of the B&N software, and by copying directly from my Nook.

Wine might work. If you drink enough, the pdb's might start looking like epubs. No waitasec... I mean you might be able to run the Windows version of B&N using wine (the open source Windows emulator) on Mac OS X. (It's late and I'm tired. I'm being a good hubby and waiting for my wife's blanket to get out of the dryer. ) I didn't have any luck running it on Linux (I've got a powerbook--can't try it on Leopard), but I didn't try all that hard and someone out there may have figured out how to work it. I suggest to Google wine and Barnes and Noble eReader.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #159
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
It's true with any web browser I've tried (being IE, Safari, and Firefox), and on any platform. The only way I've been able to access the epub versions was by using the Windows version of the B&N software, and by copying directly from my Nook.

Wine might work. If you drink enough, the pdb's might start looking like epubs. No waitasec... I mean you might be able to run the Windows version of B&N using wine (the open source Windows emulator) on Mac OS X. (It's late and I'm tired. I'm being a good hubby and waiting for my wife's blanket to get out of the dryer. ) I didn't have any luck running it on Linux (I've got a powerbook--can't try it on Leopard), but I didn't try all that hard and someone out there may have figured out how to work it. I suggest to Google wine and Barnes and Noble eReader.
Kind of weird behavior. I have Parallels so I can give it a shot that way. I just don't want to pay for an ebook and have it be the wrong -- and unusable -- format.

I guess I could just be patient until the transition is done... like that will happen!

-Pie
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #160
adullday
Enthusiast

You can try the samples. They usually download in the same format as the full book.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #161
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
You can try the samples. They usually download in the same format as the full book.
Everything I have tried is a PDB in sample form. Including The Lost Symbol.

-Pie
Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #162
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
I tried the previously mentioned I, Robot and the sample downloaded as a PDB. I also tried several others including The Lost Symbol. Everything sample was PDB. So that route ain't the one to follow.

Sheesh, all this just because I want to start buying ePUBs from B&N... and they make it impossible!

-Pie
Old 04-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #163
adullday
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I misspoke. The samples will still download as pdb's from the web. You need to download them using the Windows's B&N software or a Nook to see whether or not there is an epub version available.

The advantage of downloading the samples is that you can find out whether or not an epub version is available before purchase. I have a few B&N ebooks that are pdb's even when downloaded to my Nook--apparently there is no epub version available from B&N. (In these cases, I'll usually purchase the epub version of the book from another vendor.)
Old 04-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #164
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
I'm sorry, I misspoke. The samples will still download as pdb's from the web. You need to download them using the Windows's B&N software or a Nook to see whether or not there is an epub version available.
I actually did it with the Windows version of B&N. A couple of possibilities.

a) You need the Nook to get the ePUB samples (most likely).
b) You need to add/download initially with Windows Version.

In my cases I had already added/downloaded on the Mac or via a Web Browser.

If someone could list some samples that downloaded as ePUBs, that would be great! While I'm not interested in The Lost Symbol, I figured it would be ePUB for sure, but no dice. Maybe Opera's new tell all, which should be an awesome read for a guy!

Quote:
The advantage of downloading the samples is that you can find out whether or not an epub version is available before purchase. I have a few B&N ebooks that are pdb's even when downloaded to my Nook--apparently there is no epub version available from B&N. (In these cases, I'll usually purchase the epub version of the book from another vendor.)
Indeed, that's why I haven't payed for a book at B&N yet.

-Pie
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #165
adullday
Enthusiast

I did a quick lookup of The Lost Symbol on http://ebooks.addall.com and they only listed pdb's available from B&N. I don't know how reliable that is, but you should be able to get the sample as an epub if it's available. If not, you'll get stuck with a pdb. Here's hoping they convert the rest of their library soon.