Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2022, 05:58 PM   #136
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
How about adding book descriptions to the title? Stuff like:

Wuthering Heights: A slow burn friends to lovers romance with a shocking twist!

I know these are authors (or publishers) trying to game the system and I hate it.
On the topic of 'slow burn': fanfic authors who don't understand the meaning of it and have the love interests making out in the first chapter.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:57 AM   #137
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing that's annoying is when legitimate eBooks are available from some countries but not others. Such as The Mary Stewart's Arthurian Legend and Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall (Dragonriders of Pern) books being in the UK but not the US .
I read all of both of those series years ago and are definitely ones I'd like to have as ebooks now to re-read.
Unrelated, but I've recently been borrowing all of Mary Stewart's non-Arthurian books, mostly gothic romance/mysteries, which have been pretty good.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2022, 11:25 AM   #138
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Or how about stop treating us like we are stupid. I think we know what a novel is. We do not need to be told that your book is a novel aka Some Book: A Novel.
I find the Some Book: A Novel format to be very useful when I'm searching for books on a particular topic. It tells me that I do not need to check out that book.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I find the Some Book: A Novel format to be very useful when I'm searching for books on a particular topic. It tells me that I do not need to check out that book.
Useful? Not a chance. Plus, I know what a novel is. I don't need to be told that this book is a novel. I'm not a child and I'm not stupid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #140
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Useful? Not a chance. Plus, I know what a novel is. I don't need to be told that this book is a novel. I'm not a child and I'm not stupid.
Not useful to you, then. But ekbell explained why it’s useful to her and even the slight implication that she’s either childish or stupid is unfortunate. And I’m in that childish and stupid camp, as it happens. I have a lot of non-fiction interests and there’s a world of difference between The Great War: A History and The Great War: A Memoir and The Great War: A Novel and in a list of titles it’s very useful information indeed.

Where did I leave my lollipop?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #141
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have enough for everyone!

Piping hot! Come join me!

(Now, for a nice reclining chair as I read my novel.)

Uh-oh: I found it under the sofa!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The novel.jpg
Views:	4199
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	195018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Popcorn.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	544.3 KB
ID:	195019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recling Chair.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	195020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirty lollipop.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	195021  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-15-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #142
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Certainly you can't trust web site categories or the physical bookshop location.
Likely if you want actual Napoleonic War history book, neither "The Infamous Army" (Heyer) or Temeraire (UK title, Novik, some versions "His Majesty's Dragon") is what you want. Though the Heyer "Romance" does really have things the people involved with Waterloo wrote and is relatively historical on the battle.

Temeraire was real ships https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Temeraire
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #143
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you read the post past the first 12 words
Old 07-15-2022, 04:17 PM   #144
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Does he ever?
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I just feel that adding A Novel to the title makes it seem that the author/publisher thinks I don't know how to tell that the book is a novel. The way to tell if a book is a novel when looking online at a shop is to look at the genre(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:40 PM   #146
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I just feel that adding A Novel to the title makes it seem that the author/publisher thinks I don't know how to tell that the book is a novel. The way to tell if a book is a novel when looking online at a shop is to look at the genre(s).
It would be better not to insult those who do things differently. An explanation of “why it doesn’t work for me” would make all the difference between colossal rudeness and possible enlightenment.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:07 PM   #147
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
With P-books, you can get the idea of its length by its HEFT.

All my e-book weight the same. Without drilling down into the MODIFIED metadata??? A Novel might be a hint (but I usually delete that from the title in Calibre)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #148
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
And if the publisher miscategorized the genres?
Old 07-15-2022, 07:01 PM   #149
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
They would never do that. They're just being extremely broad in their genre definitions....

/s
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:16 PM   #150
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
And if the publisher miscategorized the genres?
The Crystal Singer (McCaffrey) is one of top Arthurian titles on Amazon. Maybe someone confused it with Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave (which is part of her Arthurian trilogy). I could be misremembering but The Crystal Singer is SF (though sprinkled with Irishy place names).

The Big Publishers are as bad as some mad self pubbers now!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote