Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read or avoid books recommended by Oprah Winfrey?
I avoid the book specifically based on her recommendation. 38 24.36%
I read the book specifically based on her recommendation. 3 1.92%
Who is Oprah Winfrey? 19 12.18%
I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not 96 61.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #136
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
she did kiss him, several times, in the clip i saw. weird. i guess the aliens have got her too.
I stopped after they both went on stage - the clip I saw was obviously edited together so I may have missed bits anyway. But not him hitting the floor and jumping on the couch doing an ape impersonation...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #137
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
One does have to wonder about Katie Holmes. Since they started up many have noticed that she has a very blank look about her, almost like she is drugged or brainwashed. I generally don't give a damn about the lifestyles of the rich and famous but that one relationship just makes me wish someone would pull an intervention with her... Then again, she might have always been like that, heh...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #138
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Seabound, "interviewing them twice over the years" is not what I meant by research.

Any book written as non fiction demands to be verified, does it not?

This quote, by the publishers

Even after such fabrications as James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces," another Winfrey favorite, publishers have said that with more than 100,000 books coming out each year, fact-checking is too time-consuming and too expensive.

is shameful. But, encouraging others to buy the book, without checking it out herself, is as bad.

If you are going to sell a book, you must take responsibility for the contents.

I know I just lost a lot of faith in so called "non-fiction".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
That statement seems overly broad to me. Or do you really believe Amazon.com and every other store that sells books should take responsibility for the contents of the books they sell?
Quote:
We're not talking Amazon. We're talking a powerful talk show host that pushed a book without verifying its truthfulness.

And yes, its called integrity and responsibility.

"Non-Fiction"
Now, see, I would disagree with that. My view is that Oprah Winfrey is nothing more or less than a person who, having read a book and enjoyed it, recommends it to someone else. And, that person is not responsible for what is written in the book, whether it is fact or fiction. That person is only responsible for forming their own opinion of the book.

When Ms. Winfrey recommends a book, she is not "selling" the book. I really doubt that she is making a profit off of every book sold, as are the author and the publisher.

The fact that she has a lot of clout because she has a large audience (I'm not one of them, but I understand her audience is HUGE) does not alter her responsibility regarding the contents of any book she might enjoy and recommend.

I think what got her incredibly upset (and rightly so), was that the author came on to her show and lied to her and her audience. The book is probably a good read whether it is entirely true or not.

But, in the end, it really is the responsibility of the publisher to verify the facts in a work of non-fiction. Certainly not that of the bookseller, and absolutely not of the reader ... whether or not the reader is Oprah Winfrey.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #139
jerryk_1939
jerryk_1939 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you read books recommeded by Oprah

I have read what you all think about OW being so self important that she can now be a book critic. I think the bigger question is why do we read what read.
I for one read what genre I am interested in or what I think I may learn from or if I believe there is a plot that is something to sink your teeth into.
For me a book has to have all of these ingredients and then some. I love historical fiction, I love great mysteries, I love action adventures, I love stories that provoke a sense of emotion, good or bad. In short a good book to me or better yet a good writer for me is one that wants me to keep the story going for another 500 pages.
I have been told by friends to read a certain book only to be disappointed and then I been told to read a book that I wanted more.
I believe we read in some case to escape or to pass the time of day.
During the time I traveled for business, many overseas flights I always packed 2 or 3 books, how I wish the e readers were around then. I digress.
Another question I ask, what is the definition of great literature, is it something that stands the test of time, or wins the Nobel Prize? I have read some of the Nobel winning books and to me they are mediocre at best, perhaps I am not as sophisticated as the Nobel judges. I have read Vargas Llosa in English and Spanish and find his work to be ????????. I have read Hemingway I find his work to be interesting and boring at the same time.
So my new friends I ask again Why do we read what we read and who is OW to become the new make or break of a young up and coming author?
Excuse my rant, but the topic is fun to discuss.

jerryk_1939
jerryk_1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #140
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Now, see, I would disagree with that. My view is that Oprah Winfrey is nothing more or less than a person who, having read a book and enjoyed it, recommends it to someone else. And, that person is not responsible for what is written in the book, whether it is fact or fiction. That person is only responsible for forming their own opinion of the book.

When Ms. Winfrey recommends a book, she is not "selling" the book. I really doubt that she is making a profit off of every book sold, as are the author and the publisher.

The fact that she has a lot of clout because she has a large audience (I'm not one of them, but I understand her audience is HUGE) does not alter her responsibility regarding the contents of any book she might enjoy and recommend.

I think what got her incredibly upset (and rightly so), was that the author came on to her show and lied to her and her audience. The book is probably a good read whether it is entirely true or not.

But, in the end, it really is the responsibility of the publisher to verify the facts in a work of non-fiction. Certainly not that of the bookseller, and absolutely not of the reader ... whether or not the reader is Oprah Winfrey.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #141
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk_1939 View Post
So my new friends I ask again Why do we read what we read and who is OW to become the new make or break of a young up and coming author?
I wouldn't say that Oprah is the make or break of an author. She can most definitely make someone's fortune, but she's not a book critic. She doesn't review books in general and therefore isn't going to break someone's career by panning their work. I suppose that fellow who wrote the fake autobiography may not have attracted so much negative attention if he hadn't been chosen for her book club but I think he broke things for himself when he made the choice to pass off fiction as fact. Maybe he would've gotten away with it had his book not been a best seller, but I think his case is more the exception than the rule as far as her book club is concerned. Typically she is just promoting books she likes and ignoring books she doesn't. The lack of attention from her isn't going to break someone. There are plenty of authors that rise to fame without her help. She only recommends 1/2 a dozen or so books a year, often fewer.

As for how I pick books, recommendations from friends and family are pretty powerful. As far as an Oprah analogue, a public source of book recommendations, my favorite is public radio. I hear authors on Fresh Air, Forum, City Arts and Lectures, etc. I'm curious what effect these shows have on sales but it would be hard to track the impact. The authors are usually in the midst of publicity tours when they're doing these interviews so you couldn't narrow a jump in sales down to just an interview with Terry Gross with numbers alone, but in my world she sells more books than Oprah. When Oprah picks something, it's often been out for awhile, even years, so when you see that spike in sales it's very obvious. Of course, I think TV also just has a broader audience and can generate more buzz. I was listening to an interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson awhile back and he said that the day after an appearance on The Daily Show he was on the NYT best sellers list which is not a place he ever thought he'd be.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #142
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
I avoid any support for this pusher of woo-woo, pseudoscience, and all manner of non-scientific (and potentially harmful) nonsense. I agree with Brian Dunning of Skeptoid.com, who places her at the top of his list of Celebrities Who Promote Harmful Pseudoscience.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #143
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
I avoid any support for this pusher of woo-woo, pseudoscience, and all manner of non-scientific (and potentially harmful) nonsense. I agree with Brian Dunning of Skeptoid.com, who places her at the top of his list of Celebrities Who Promote Harmful Pseudoscience.
That is a great link.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #144
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
That is a great link.
One of my favorite podcasts. I don't always agree with him but most of the time he is right on target. (Skeptoid.com)
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #145
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
One of my favorite podcasts. I don't always agree with him but most of the time he is right on target. (Skeptoid.com)

I've been trolling it for the past hour...

The whole Jenny McCarthy thing really really gets to me. My brother is autistic. "nuff said.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM   #146
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

According post #94, "she interviewed them twice over the years".

Would you not think, with a subject as important to history as this, a book written as non-fiction, no less, she would just once wonder "Am I hearing the absolute truth here?"

Especially knowing, as she does, that people will believe what she says, and believe what is written in the book.

Or did she feel that it was (and I quote) "the single greatest love story ... we've ever told on the air." not worry about silly things like facts, because it was such a wonderful story?

Especially after the James Frey fiasco, you would think she would understand not everything written as non-fiction, is.

If the neither the producers nor publishers take time to check the facts, why would anyone bother to buy their books?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #147
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk_1939 View Post
I have read what you all think about OW being so self important that she can now be a book critic. I think the bigger question is why do we read what read.
I for one read what genre I am interested in or what I think I may learn from or if I believe there is a plot that is something to sink your teeth into.
For me a book has to have all of these ingredients and then some. I love historical fiction, I love great mysteries, I love action adventures, I love stories that provoke a sense of emotion, good or bad. In short a good book to me or better yet a good writer for me is one that wants me to keep the story going for another 500 pages.
I have been told by friends to read a certain book only to be disappointed and then I been told to read a book that I wanted more.
I believe we read in some case to escape or to pass the time of day.
During the time I traveled for business, many overseas flights I always packed 2 or 3 books, how I wish the e readers were around then. I digress.
Another question I ask, what is the definition of great literature, is it something that stands the test of time, or wins the Nobel Prize? I have read some of the Nobel winning books and to me they are mediocre at best, perhaps I am not as sophisticated as the Nobel judges. I have read Vargas Llosa in English and Spanish and find his work to be ????????. I have read Hemingway I find his work to be interesting and boring at the same time.

jerryk_1939

Anyone who reads a book and states an opinion about that book is a "book critic." They may not be a professional book critic, but they are a book critic nonetheless.

Oprah Winfrey is entitled to her opinion of a book, and if a boat load of people worship her every word and read every book she recommends, that is not my problem. The reason she can "make or break" a writer is that many people make decisions about what book they are going to read (or at least buy and say they read), or what outfit to buy, or diet to try, .... and blah de blah blah ... based on what their latest media darling reads, wears, eats ... and so on. It is not because she is "self important" ... it's because there are a lot of people out there who consider her to be important.

Most of the questions you pose honestly don't have answers, or perhaps they have 6,000,000,000 answers and counting. Everyone reads for different reasons. Everyone has different ideas about what constitutes "literature." Sophistication is entirely subjective since it is culturally based. Reading is all about what entertains you, or what makes you think, whether you relate to the characters, and a few other thousand details. Sometimes it's got more to do with where you happen to be in your life at the time you pick up the book.

Hell, I started "Atlas Shrugged" at least five times before I got past the first 50 pages. Then, the sixth time, I could not put it down. I'm pretty certain the book didn't change ... so it must have been me. Now, it's one of my favorite books.

Well, hey ..... you can rant, and so can I.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #148
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
According post #94, "she interviewed them twice over the years".

Would you not think, with a subject as important to history as this, a book written as non-fiction, no less, she would just once wonder "Am I hearing the absolute truth here?"

Especially knowing, as she does, that people will believe what she says, and believe what is written in the book.

Or did she feel that it was (and I quote) "the single greatest love story ... we've ever told on the air." not worry about silly things like facts, because it was such a wonderful story?

Especially after the James Frey fiasco, you would think she would understand not everything written as non-fiction, is.

If the neither the producers nor publishers take time to check the facts, why would anyone bother to buy their books?
DG .... that's my point. It is the publisher's JOB to check the facts. The publisher is supposed to stand behind the author. Now, if the publisher is not going to do their job ... at all ... why is Oprah Winfrey supposed to do it??

Regardless of how she "felt" about the book. She is not producing a news show. It's a talk show. It is essentially entertainment. Even when she interviews someone, it's not like it's "60 Minutes" with the person on the hot seat. It's pretty much like any talk show interview ... the author is there to push the damn book. It's called a "publicity tour." I see them on the "Tonight Show" every night ... right next to the movie star touting their latest film. Am I supposed to expect Jay Leno to fact check every book or movie that the bozo in the chair next to him is pushing?? It's not his job.

Expect the publisher to do its job. In fact, demand that the idiot publishers do their jobs. They are being paid to do a job, and yes ... if they don't do it, then don't buy the books they publish. If people understand that most of what a publisher produces is complete and utter crap, maybe no one will buy it. Of course, one can never under estimate the stupidity of those people who need to carry around the latest best seller so they look like they are on the bleeding edge of something.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #149
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Mind you, I'm not defending Oprah Winfrey because I give a tiny rat's ass about her, although, I did like her performance in "The Color Purple" ... but that is the only time I have seen her on the screen (large or small).

I read the Skeptoid list you linked to. Very interesting. I suppose the biggest problem I have with a list like that is that it removes all responsibility for critical thinking from the rest of society.

What about putting the blame for believing in that crap where it belongs ... on the people who believe that crap. Right on those 100,000,000 people "many of whom uncritically accept every word the world's wealthiest woman says ..." Well, what can I say except ... MORONS!!

Anyone who blindly accepts something some other person says, merely because that person is rich, or well known, or powerful, or by dogma "infallible" is minus several billion brain cells in the "think for yourself, dammit" area of their brain.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #150
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
DG .... that's my point. It is the publisher's JOB to check the facts. The publisher is supposed to stand behind the author. Now, if the publisher is not going to do their job ... at all ... why is Oprah Winfrey supposed to do it??

Regardless of how she "felt" about the book. She is not producing a news show. It's a talk show. It is essentially entertainment. Even when she interviews someone, it's not like it's "60 Minutes" with the person on the hot seat. It's pretty much like any talk show interview ... the author is there to push the damn book. It's called a "publicity tour." I see them on the "Tonight Show" every night ... right next to the movie star touting their latest film. Am I supposed to expect Jay Leno to fact check every book or movie that the bozo in the chair next to him is pushing?? It's not his job.

Expect the publisher to do its job. In fact, demand that the idiot publishers do their jobs. They are being paid to do a job, and yes ... if they don't do it, then don't buy the books they publish. If people understand that most of what a publisher produces is complete and utter crap, maybe no one will buy it. Of course, one can never under estimate the stupidity of those people who need to carry around the latest best seller so they look like they are on the bleeding edge of something.
I think in this case at least she interviewed well before book talks. So publishers fact checking doesn't help here I'm just suprised she didn't have someone catch this, just for her own best interests.